The innapropriate night-time door knock...

I went to bed last night about 12am and my wife stayed up to watch some TV. At approximately 1:30 she came into our bedroom and woke me up because a man was knocking at our front door.

As I got out of bed she told me that I "better bring the pistol" which I was already reaching for. When I arrived at our front door I peeped out the small window and saw a guy in his early to mid-twenties who said he was a neighbor and needed to use my telephone. I did not recognize him, of course, so I asked him if he was crazy and asked him to leave (all of this through the door). He answered by saying "I ain't tryin' to get shot or nothin'." My response was "That's what's about to happen!" I told him to beat it again and he moved on down our street.

Something very similiar to this happened several months ago only the fellow wanted a "ride" to his ill mother across town. I am just wondering if this is a new scheme the degenerates are using to gain entry to a home or if this merely the first step/s in casing a residence. Any thoughts?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After he walked off, I did a walk around/window peak throughout the house and saw a police cruiser slow rolling down our street in the direction the guy went so I did not make the call. However, I probably should have called anyway to get the incident documented.

If you have a good description of the guy I would call your local PD or SO and report it. Like molonlabetn said they may be on a first name basis with the guy. If it's after 9:00PM, my pistol is on me when i go to do the door unless I am expecting someone. To many crazies out there.

Guest canynracer

Unless I know someone is coming, night or day, I answer the door wearing my hoodie, my gun is in the pocket along with my hand...also, my storm door is ALWAYS locked with the deadbolt. and the door is never answered unless the peephole is checked.

I agree with 2Alpha, I live in the city and though it is small, crazy things happen these days. There are homes that get broken into while people are at work, so I have my gun on me or by my side constantly and of course I have two dobermans that live in the house with me. LOL

Guest bulletproof

This just happened in my area. It's not unusual. There was an attempted home invasion during the day not long ago.

On 2/19/08, around 5:05 - 5:15 pm there was an attempted break-in on Donelson Ave. A person attempted to enter the home through a side door. Victim stated her dog was barking and "pitching a fit". She came out of her bedroom and saw a shadow at the door, however she did not see the person. Victim called police who responded and filed a report.

To get to the door this person attempted to use, you must go through another part of the property. The door is kinda hard to see. Victim also said the back door on the back porch was not locked but will be double bolted from now on.

Just an FYI. Everyone be careful and make sure your doors are locked.

NW

Guest someguy12341

I can't quote any official statistics, but based on the 425+ member neighborhood email list we have for this part of Memphis, the day/night ratio for incidents - specifically break-ins - is roughly 1/1.

If I'm not asleep or in the shower, my P220c is on me.

No one is coming to visit my house after 9 o'clock that I know. Hell, no one comes to visit any other time so basically anytime the doorbell rings there is a pistol a short distance away, usually on the hip.

The wife thinks I am strange for carrying in the house, but hey, our neighbors don't bother us.

There is a rash of people knocking on doors asking directions and then performing home invasions. Better safe than sorry.

Anyone comes down my driveway they are going to see me on the porch armed before they ever get out of their car. Not much foot traffic when you live 200 yards off the road. If they are on foot they are liable to brandished upon. No one outside of the UPS man ( I'll shoot Fed Ex on general principle, j/k Canyn) or mail man has any business coming down my driveway or setting foot on my land. My mother in law needs a muffler so I know it if she is coming, lol.

I am not tolerating someone scoping my house out.

Guest DrBoomBoom

My wife thinks I'm a hunk for carrying in the house (lucky me).

I was working at home during the day a while back. On top of that, my car was at the shop getting some maintenance, so there was no car in our driveway. I heard the door knob rattling, and thought it must be my son home early from school. I yelled his name and didn't hear anything, so I went to the door, hand on the 9mm in my pocket, and carefully looked out the window. No one on the porch. Stepping out on the porch I saw an older model dark colored car pulling quickly down the street (we live on a cul de sac).

Keep one in reach 24/7.

Guest Engloid

If I check a windo or peephole, and don't know who is there, I won't open the door. There's too many people that want to sell stuff these days, and I know if I open the door, I'm going to feel like asking them why they can't sell a product at a store so I can get some peace at MY house.

If it's a person wanting to intrude, and I don't answer, they will either force entry (and get killed), or go find somebody that will open the door.

Why would you have any reason to open the door for somebody you don't know?

Guest bulletproof

I live in an area with lots of neighbors (we're looking at moving to the country this summer). One neighbor is schizophrenic and stops taking his meds every now and then. Another neighbor down the street is an alcoholic and evidently gets high too. Mentally, he is a mess. Another neighbor thinks he is the police, mayor and codes dept all rolled into one and until recently harrassed the piss out of everyone. And after the incident with the pitbull, I always carry my gun when I'm working in my yard and it is always in easy reach in the house. In fact several are. Is it any wonder?

Guest supergus

My gun is always with me in the house. I also put up a motion sensor at the end of the driveway that chimes inside the house so I have a heads up that someone is coming.

I went to bed last night about 12am and my wife stayed up to watch some TV. At approximately 1:30 she came into our bedroom and woke me up because a man was knocking at our front door.

As I got out of bed she told me that I "better bring the pistol" which I was already reaching for. When I arrived at our front door I peeped out the small window and saw a guy in his early to mid-twenties who said he was a neighbor and needed to use my telephone. I did not recognize him, of course, so I asked him if he was crazy and asked him to leave (all of this through the door). He answered by saying "I ain't tryin' to get shot or nothin'." My response was "That's what's about to happen!" I told him to beat it again and he moved on down our street.

Something very similiar to this happened several months ago only the fellow wanted a "ride" to his ill mother across town. I am just wondering if this is a new scheme the degenerates are using to gain entry to a home or if this merely the first step/s in casing a residence. Any thoughts?

Wow, that sends chills down my spine. Same scenario happened on a show I was watching on primetime TV...maybe Criminal Intent or some type of CSI show. Anyways, this well dressed guy would knock on doors w/ a injured cat/dog in his hands asking if it was the homeowner's. He would then sweet talk his way in to use the phone and before you knew it an accomplice appeared and there were 2 guys in the house. The ended up tying up families and killing everyone in the house. It was a really messed up episode, but really got me to thinking that something like this could happen. 3 other points of interest, they had cut phone lines, unscrewed the porch light bulb before knocking (I guess to be more discreet) and also had a cell phone scrambler so the homeowners were essentially w/o communication. Looks like you made the right choice by yelling through the door. Hope my story doesn't scare you, but that sounds all too familiar!