Need a little advice!

CLC

I have been cleaning the revolvers that my Dad gave me. I also put new grips on them and I saved the originals. How do I clean and store the old grips? I assume they are all older models ,they have been around as long as I can remember. The ones in question are

Smith & Wesson 60. 38spl

Smith & Wesson 649. 38spl

Smit & Wesson 629-1 44 mag

Colt Trooper 357 mag

Also on the two 38s, do these models shoot 357s too?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

ZOOM

This is why I asked about if it would use a 357

Model 649

$729.00 *

*Suggested Retail, Dealer Sets Actual Pricing

Model: 649

Caliber: .357 Magnum®

.38 S&W Special +P

Capacity: 5 Rounds

Barrel Length: 2.125" / 5.4 cm

Front Sight: Black Blade

Rear Sight: Fixed

Grip: Synthetic

Action: Single/Double Action

Frame Size: Small - Shrouded Hammer

Finish: Satin Stainless

Overall Length: 6.56" / 16.7 cm

Material: Stainless Steel Frame

Stainless Steel Cylinder

Weight Empty: 23 oz / 652.1 g

Purpose: Personal Protection

Law Enforcement

Find a Dealer

Out of Stock - Click Here

Add To Wish List

Print This Page

Email This Page

Share This

Overview

SKU:*163210

ZOOM

This is why I asked about if it would use a 357

Model 649

$729.00 *

*Suggested Retail, Dealer Sets Actual Pricing

Model: 649

Caliber: .357 Magnum®

.38 S&W Special +P

Capacity: 5 Rounds

Barrel Length: 2.125" / 5.4 cm

Front Sight: Black Blade

Rear Sight: Fixed

Grip: Synthetic

Action: Single/Double Action

Frame Size: Small - Shrouded Hammer

Finish: Satin Stainless

Overall Length: 6.56" / 16.7 cm

Material: Stainless Steel Frame

Stainless Steel Cylinder

Weight Empty: 23 oz / 652.1 g

Purpose: Personal Protection

Law Enforcement

Find a Dealer

Out of Stock - Click Here

Add To Wish List

Print This Page

Email This Page

Share This

Overview

SKU:*163210

See the bold. The gun is chambered for .357. If the gun is chambered for .38spl the .357 case should not fit in it (you won't be able to close the cylinder).

Thanks, I suppose just because it is a certain model number does not mean they are all the same! Being new at this , and a woman, there are a few things I need to learn! LOL

Thanks, I suppose just because it is a certain model number does not mean they are all the same! Being new at this , and a woman, there are a few things I need to learn! LOL

The harsh no is because a LOT of people have shoved the wrong ammo into a gun and blown it up over the years. And the 357 into a 38 is a sure fire way to do that if you can force it to fit. Until you understand firearms, NEVER put ammo into a gun that is not identical to the ammo type listed on the side of the gun. If the gun in question appears to be an "assault rifle" (looks like a military gun) then it may have been bubba'ed and the ammo listed on the gun may not be its actual caliber. Also, very old military bolt action rifles may not take the caliber listed on them either. If you are ever in doubt, get help before you try to fire the wrong ammo in the wrong gun. For revolvers and semi-automatic pistols, what it says on the side of the gun will be correct (apart from extremely rare exceptions).

Most model numbers will have a small difference to denote something like a different caliber, or slight change like different metal (stainless or blue) but that may be left off when searching online. For example if you google S&W model 60 or whatever, it may turn out they are all called "model 60" that but some are the 60-a, some are the 60-w, and so forth and you are expected to understand that by context. Its not all that complicated, but its overwhelming at first.

So, finally, what does it say on the gun in question? If it says .357 on the barrel or frame, its a 357. If it says 38, its a 38. Thats the best way to figure it out. If it appears to be rather old, and it says 38, be careful its a totally different thing. Post a picture and we can help... there is an obsolete caliber that is 38 and its possible you have one in the mix. It would have a short cylinder, too short for a 38 special, if you did.

Edited by Jonnin

Thanks Jonnin, I have not even tried 357's in the Trooper , but I did try the 44 ! It really makes you aware of how powerful a gun is. Does the serial numbers give you more info on the model, or just a date of manufacturing?

It sure looks like you've already given the model numbers in your first post. Look on the gun itself and you should see markings that tell you what caliber round the model you have takes. If you write to the manufacturer, they should be able to tell you all about your gun from the model and serial number, but I don't know of any online resource to do that.

There are models like the 649 and 60 which can either be had in 38 SPL or 357 Magnum. You won;t be able to load a 357 mag into the 38 special and close the chamber. The 357 magnum was a result of some gun nuts who kept uping the performance level of the 38 special in certain strong revolvers. It wouldn't be safe to produce these commercially, as they would surely end up in a weaker gun that couldn't withstand the higher pressures. That's when the 357 Magnum was born. It's the same bullet, and same case, except the 357 case is about 1/8" longer to preclude someone from chambering it into the wrong gun. You can, however, safely shoot 38 specials in your 357 magnum.

In pretty much the same fashion, the 44 Special and some ambitious handloaders gave birth to the legendary 44 Magnum. Ergo, you can also shoot 44 Specials in your 44 Magnum.

As for care of the wood grips, they really don't require much care, but you can clean them in the same manner you'd clean furniture, or any other wood object. If you're really anal about it, you can get a can of Renaissance wax and wax them. Keep oil off them.

Heck, put up some pics of them!

IMG_1251.jpg

I like Smith and Colt revolvers. I know several others here who do as well.

Thanks Jonnin, I have not even tried 357's in the Trooper , but I did try the 44 ! It really makes you aware of how powerful a gun is. Does the serial numbers give you more info on the model, or just a date of manufacturing?

Depends on what it is. Sometimes the serial does not even give that much, other times they can tell you who made it, when, and more. You have all you need already for the guns you listed, those are modern enough to study on the web via model #, combined with the caliber on the side. It really depends on what you want to know and how old the guns really are as to how much you can find out.

Thanks all, I will post pics soon! Next project will be to clean up a tiny little Colt 25. It looks rough so I need to find a manual to know how to take it apart? A guy told me it was called a "vest pocket" gun. I think it will be really nice if I can get it cleaned and shiny! You guys have been a big help! Thanks!

Thanks all, I will post pics soon! Next project will be to clean up a tiny little Colt 25. It looks rough so I need to find a manual to know how to take it apart? A guy told me it was called a "vest pocket" gun. I think it will be really nice if I can get it cleaned and shiny! You guys have been a big help! Thanks!

Does it have an exposed hammer or not? If it does, It is called a Colt Junior and was made by Astra. If it doesn't have an exposed hammer, it is a Vest Pocket actually made by Colt. Either way, you have a nice little pistol.

http://stevespages.com/pdf/colt_automatic_caliber_25.pdf

http://stevespages.com/pdf/colt_25_hammerless.pdf

One of these will be the correct manual. They are very easy to take apart and reassemble.