HCP waiting time

Guest TennMan

Guest tnmale46
thanks. I didn't have it in my hands 5 minutes before I had to go carry somewhere....

TNmale, I was bordering on 2 months myself, with only about 13 days to go. be patient, it'll come

i called last friday she said 7-14 days soon maybe
  • Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just called and they said they will issue it today and I should have it in 7-14 days. :hat: Today is Day 31 since I submitted all paperwork and prints. Sure hate it for the mailman now, I will be bugging him EVERYDAY till I get it.:D

I read on another board, that one of the problems has been a new electronic scanning system they are using.

They take all the documents: Application, safety course certificate, etc... and scan them in and then discard the hard copy. Apparently there is a problem at times and the scanned copy is lost. That is why they have asked/told some to fax/send another copy of those documents.

It is my understanding they are now keeping the hard copies of the documents as back up.

Guest TheBulldog

Well here I am at +90 days, my deadline was for 28 September and no permit.

Why, because Cogent, the company TN uses to do the prints LOST the prints for EVERYONE printed in Lebanon at the School Board bldg for Handgun Permits.

Funny I had my NYC permit and it expired, they said if it was still active they would have issued on the spot based on it.

I had to Reprint and make many calls. Now I also have to wait an additional amount of time for the dumb card.

The way they do things down here really is a waste of time, the TNICS lets me get cleared for a gun purchase yet thy cant TNICS a permit and they print you and loose the things.

I reminded them that the law says "Shall Issue" They said they can't issue until the prints get run through and are checked, so, they apparently do not Know the Laws, Or are under orders.

I have read the code, and it says at 90 days issue even if the check is NOT there.

What a JOKE. I want to be on the Jimmy Express permitting system!

I have been waiting since 01 July Now.

Guest mn32768
I reminded them that the law says "Shall Issue"They said they can't issue until the prints get run through and are checked, so, they apparently do not Know the Laws, Or are under orders. I have read the code, and it says at 90 days issue even if the check is NOT there.
You were lied to by the Handgun Permit Office. TN law explicitly says that DoS has to issue the permit within 90 days. The state has the option of revoking a permit if subsequent background checks fail. Your best option is to send a certified letter or email directly to the DoS Commissioner asking if the Handgun Office's interpretation of "Shall Issue" needing background checks completed is official. If the Commissioners says yes, then it's time to go public in media... it being election year and all. Edited by mn32768
Guest TheBulldog
You were lied to by the Handgun Permit Office. TN law explicitly says that DoS has to issue the permit within 90 days. The state has the option of revoking a permit if subsequent background checks fail. Your best option is to send a certified letter or email directly to the DoS Commissioner asking if the Handgun Office's interpretation of "Shall Issue" needing background checks completed is official. If the Commissioners says yes, then it's time to go public in media... it being election year and all.

Dude, I am a Puerto Rican, You think they GAD what my A$$ will get from them?

I know the law, I was a LEO years ago, I can read the code, but they just don't care and they messed EVERYTHING up.

Thanks for the Idea, But I know they cannot deny me the permit being I even had an NYC carry permit at one point along with New Jersey and Connecticut permits all three which are useless in any other state so I let them go and saved myself 2000 bucks.

I have been waiting since 13 May for a renewal. I have had a TN, GA, FL and a Federal/Military permit. I also have a FFL. I was sent a letter of denial last week

due to some obscure court case from 25 years ago. I know it has been expunged

and final disposition has been filed. It it not clear in the database. I went personally

and saw Mrs. Night in Nashville and I have to provide the certified disposition signed from the court and then she will issue. If what I stated is true to her. This had to be pretty in depth under what system they use now. This case was very obscure and I was only in one part of it.

I had called in August and they stated they were sending me a letter so i can still carry. I called again in two weeks, the temp hire stated I should have my permit in 7-14 days. I got the letter above just last week.

Edited by R1100R
I have been waiting since 13 May for a renewal....

Horror story after horror story.

And just think how few of TN's total HCP folks are actually even registered on this site, and how many have probs.

I've dealt with 'bout every level of bureaucracy, both governmental, corporation, and university, and I don't think any of them can hold a candle to the HCP agency at TDOS for sheer inefficiency, erroneous information dissemination, and dare I say even some cases of what can only be seen as outright lying.

- OS

Guest unreconstructed1
Horror story after horror story.

And just think how few of TN's total HCP folks are actually even registered on this site, and how many have probs.

this is just another example of over bureaucracy at work. I have said this many times.

it takes all of a few minutes to receive the required background check to purchase a gun. fingerprints could be taken quite easily and quickly at the licensing station, rather than requiring a cross town trip, licenses can be applied for and printed while you wait, and yet an HCP takes 2-3 MONTHS to arrive? and all this in order to excersice a constitutionally protected ( by the US and teh Tennessee constitution).

One of the most remarkable things to me is that the stupid little video that you have to watch in the certification class, recorded by the state of Tennessee, states quite clearly that defensive carry is a "privilege", while it says quite plainly in the US constitution that

"the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

then again, in Tennessee's own constitution, it states yet again that

"the citizens of this State have a right to keep and to bear arms for their common defense"

while the Tennessee constitution also states that it has the authority to regulate that right with a view to prevent crime, 2-3 month waits border on infringement as opposed to regulation.

while my opinions may be influenced largely by my libertarian beliefs, it is absolutely incredible to me that any governing body who wants to freely claim that they are part of "the land of the free and the home of the brave" would make someone wait so long just to practice their constitutionally protected rights.

It would be nice to see a state legislator introduce a bill requiring nothing more than fill out your application, provide the relevant documentation, pass the standard instant background check, and take your HCP home with you that day.

Guest TheBulldog
this is just another example of over bureaucracy at work. I have said this many times.

it takes all of a few minutes to receive the required background check to purchase a gun. fingerprints could be taken quite easily and quickly at the licensing station, rather than requiring a cross town trip, licenses can be applied for and printed while you wait, and yet an HCP takes 2-3 MONTHS to arrive? and all this in order to excersice a constitutionally protected ( by the US and teh Tennessee constitution).

One of the most remarkable things to me is that the stupid little video that you have to watch in the certification class, recorded by the state of Tennessee, states quite clearly that defensive carry is a "privilege", while it says quite plainly in the US constitution that

"the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

then again, in Tennessee's own constitution, it states yet again that

"the citizens of this State have a right to keep and to bear arms for their common defense"

while the Tennessee constitution also states that it has the authority to regulate that right with a view to prevent crime, 2-3 month waits border on infringement as opposed to regulation.

while my opinions may be influenced largely by my libertarian beliefs, it is absolutely incredible to me that any governing body who wants to freely claim that they are part of "the land of the free and the home of the brave" would make someone wait so long just to practice their constitutionally protected rights.

It would be nice to see a state legislator introduce a bill requiring nothing more than fill out your application, provide the relevant documentation, pass the standard instant background check, and take your HCP home with you that day.

Well if the politicos followed the constitution to the letter we would not have the bureaucratic mess that stifles progress and citizenship in our country.

This is just another way to collect revenue by creating an unneeded avenue for do nothing bureaucracy.

Guest TheBulldog

Finally, I am APPROVED!

My drop dead date was 28 September 2008.

On Tuesday 7 October 2008 I called and they said they had all my background checks and paperwork DONE and my permit will be out to me in 7 to 14 days!

I asked if "They knew that they violated the Tennessee Annotated code" and was told, "We are aware of the law, but the way they set up the computer system we cannot approve and send permits out before the prints are on the system and cleared by TBI"

So, as I see it, the state is using a computer system that does not ALLOW for the code to be followed.

My prints were LOST and they did not even catch it until the week my permit was hitting the 90 days.

The problem as I understand it, is NOT the office, but the software they use to process the permits.

Also, until TBI CLEARS your prints on the system, they can do ANYTHING but LOOK at your permit info.

What a joke, Lets see if the permit comes in with the right photo and numbers on it to me.

It is just about the only other thing these people could get wrong for me that is left.

PS: After all this, I am Going to spend the dollars on keeping my other permits active.

...The problem as I understand it, is NOT the office, but the software they use to process the permits.

Also, until TBI CLEARS your prints on the system, they can do ANYTHING but LOOK at your permit info....

There seems little reason to believe that.

- OS

Guest TheBulldog
There seems little reason to believe that.

- OS

That was straight from the horses mouth.

I had to press them for that response because they were NOT willing to explain how they could botch up my Back Ground Check (Lost My Prints 2 times) being that I am Prior Military, Prior LEO and Have DHS clearances all ready to transport HAZ MAT.