HCP waiting time

Guest TennMan

I was told on Day 65 that I should have it in 2-3 weeks.

I called last Friday, which was Day 82. They took my name, driver license number, and phone number and told me they would call me back. My call was not returned.

So... today was Day 85 and I called late afternoon.

This time I was told that it was issued on 9/17/08 and that it should be 7-14 days.

First time I've actually gotten a firm date that it had been issued. IF it arrives on schedule, it will be pretty close to Day 90.

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FINALLY RECEIVED MY PERMIT!....heres the story...completed course @ Guns & Leather and Fingerprints there as well...all docs logged into the DOS on June 26th...so, my brother-in-law, who had an app date of the same time received his permit 4 weeks ago....there began my calls! I initially contacted the DOS and went to whomever would field the call...told that "we're waiting for your background check to come back"....so, I gave it a couple days and called again. Well, this time, like another forum member on this thread, was told.."well your app date is July 15th and I see here that your background request was sent out Aug 15th"...when I mentioned the information that I already knew I was told "sorry sir, thats what the system says"..after a day or two cooling off period I sent the commissioner an e-mail to the attn of Lisa Knight...after a couple of days Lisa replied to me stating that my background was missing but she would look into it. Next day she sent an email and called and stated that she located it and would have it entered into the system and I should receive the permit in 7-14 days. She was very apologetic and sincere. So, 8 days later...I'm headed to Wal-Mart! With everything that is wrong with this system, and the inconsistencies with application turnaround, I must say that Lisa is a VERY KIND lady and possibly a little frustrated with the whole process as well...oh well, at least I can brag and say I got mine a day early!

Guest TheBulldog

Don't feel bad guys, they misplaced my prints!

Jennifer there was nice though, she said I am within a week of my due date and will call on Monday with the result.

Apparently, sometimes the process gets screwed up because the contractor they use messes up the print files.

My wait is finally over.

I was fingerprinted and submitted my application on June 30, 2008. Received my permit in the mail on Sept. 25, 2008. They told me it was issued on Sept. 17. 8 days later it was in my mailbox.

Total time was 88 days from start until finish.

The total time is completely ridiculous.

However, my main frustration is the inconsistent information you get when you call.

I called several times. Sometimes they took my name and never called back. Sometimes I would get someone who would just read me a script that basically said not to call back until 90 days. If I pressed for some real information, the excuse was that the person I was talking to didn't have a computer, so they could not look anything up (but they could take my name & number).

Once in awhile, I would get someone who could actually tell me where my application was in the process. That did lead to a request to fax in the yellow copy of my application. Maybe that expedited the process, maybe not. I'm not sure.

Guest GUTTERbOY
The total time is completely ridiculous.

Ridiculous or not, it's well within the legal time limit. Don't get me wrong, I don't like it any more than you do, but until they cross that 90 day mark, there's not a lot we can do except blow smoke.

Ridiculous or not, it's well within the legal time limit. Don't get me wrong, I don't like it any more than you do, but until they cross that 90 day mark, there's not a lot we can do except blow smoke.

No scientific representative sampling available of course, but from my own experience and reading here, I'm convinced that without prodding, at least 25% of all apps would be over 90 days. Maybe more.

- OS

Guest GUTTERbOY
No scientific representative sampling available of course, but from my own experience and reading here, I'm convinced that without prodding, at least 25% of all apps would be over 90 days. Maybe more.

- OS

Wouldn't surprise me- and I believe that the majority of applicants don't hold them accountable for meeting that deadline, which in turn causes the DOS to be complacent about potentially exceeding it.

My take on this is to be nice and polite to them, but as soon as day 90 is behind you and it hasn't been issued, it's time to contact the commissioner.

Baloney.

This is the third state where I've been a HCP holder. Neither of the others took 90 days to complete the process. There is no reason that TDOS needs that long. My experience can only lead me to conclude that they are a disorganized mess.

I can see taking 30 or 45 days. I'm not suggesting that we short circuit the process, but it shouldn't take 90 days.

Beyond that, citizens absolutely deserve to have someone who can give them straight answers on where in the process their application is. Not returning phone calls & having completely clueless people answering the phones is unacceptable.

way to go Suntzu, your awesomeness is even more awesome now!

buzz writes

Not returning phone calls & having completely clueless people answering the phones is unacceptable

mediocrity is the Tennessee way, better get used to it. No one does much of anything in a hurry or with much pride around here. Took me some getting used to as well.

mediocrity is the Tennessee way, better get used to it. No one does much of anything in a hurry or with much pride around here. Took me some getting used to as well.

It is this way only because citizens accept it. It definitely does not have to be the case.

Guest GUTTERbOY
Baloney.

This is the third state where I've been a HCP holder. Neither of the others took 90 days to complete the process. There is no reason that TDOS needs that long. My experience can only lead me to conclude that they are a disorganized mess.

I can see taking 30 or 45 days. I'm not suggesting that we short circuit the process, but it shouldn't take 90 days.

Beyond that, citizens absolutely deserve to have someone who can give them straight answers on where in the process their application is. Not returning phone calls & having completely clueless people answering the phones is unacceptable.

Exactly what part of my post is baloney? Note that I am in complete agreement with you that 90 days is waaay too long. I had a carry permit back in NC, and I think that might have taken 5-6 weeks- so it's not like TN is my only experience getting a permit.

The problem is that we're dealing with the government here. And unlike private businesses, there's basically no incentive to do better than the minimum- and in this case, the minimum is the 90 day deadline decreed by law. Now, I'm all in favor of giving them hell when they pass that deadline, but beyond that,we're pretty much neutered when it comes to speeding up the system.

When you get down to it, I think the legislative climate in this state is the source of lots of our problems. Bills that might eliminate stupid restrictions like the park carry ban get killed in committee, and you can bet that Nashville's not going to go out of their way to speed up the process.

There's no question that the current process is bogged down and inefficient. From the posts I'm reading on here, it sounds like they've got a lot of kinks to work out. But again, the problem is this: What incentive do they have to spend he resources to improve the process? The commissioner is an appointed position, so it's not like we can threaten to vote him out of office.

I want the system fixed as much as you do- but I just don't see any way to get it done right now. We wield no real political power in this state, and when you couple that with a legislature populated by the likes of Naifeh, we're not exactly in a great position.

The real solution, of course, would be for this to not be a concern of the government in the first place. Kind of makes a guy want to move to Vermont r Alaska...

Guest unreconstructed1
Congratulations!

thanks. I didn't have it in my hands 5 minutes before I had to go carry somewhere....

TNmale, I was bordering on 2 months myself, with only about 13 days to go. be patient, it'll come