Another Glock ND...

deerslayer

...did not happen today. Sorry to disappoint. However, I did witness a Springfield XD40 ND. At our IDPA match today, we had a new guy who is a relatively new shooter, but has been through some decent training. He did pretty well, but on the last stage, he fired the gun before the muzzle even cleared the holster, which was a Blackhawk Serpa. Bad technique, for sure, but I believe the holster played a big part in this ND. For those who are not familiar, the Serpa has a button which must be pressed while drawing, and this releases the gun. This release button, at least on the holster for the XD, lines right up with the trigger; when the user draws and puts pressure on the button, as soon as the trigger clears the holster, that pressure is right over the trigger. Maybe with some practice this issue could be avoided, but I don't think I'll be getting a Serpa any time soon.

The shooter was fine, altough he got a DQ. The XD went off before he got it out of the holster--bullet went through the bottom of his holster, ripped about a 15" gash in his pants, and luckily hit the ground about three inches from his foot. One lucky SOB. He may not be as lucky when his wife sees his pants, however.

I have not heard of any other NDs with them, but some shooting instructors will not allow Serpas in their classes. I don't know if all Serpas are made like his (release button and trigger lined up), or that is only a serpa/XD thing; if they are, it seems like a major design flaw to me.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest flesheatingvirus

To my knowledge, there is not a single Serpa made this way (I have used 3). The button is in line above the trigger, so that your finger rests on the frame of the weapon upon drawing. Their is a hook in line with the trigger that retains the weapon. If used properly, they are very safe holsters. It sounds like his finger slipped off the frame. Lucky man.

Here is the XD holster:

http://www.blackhawk.com/images/catalog/413507BK-R_0THUMB.JPG

Guest oldgunnut

I was concerned with the SERPA holsters design the first time I saw them. I do own one but only for a revolver. Goes to prove if you put Blackhawk or 5.11 on something it will sell. Anyone want to buy my 5.11 tactical sage color writing stick with Blackhawk error eliminator on the buttstock? Prices starting at $25.99;)

To my knowledge, there is not a single Serpa made this way (I have used 3). The button is in line above the trigger, so that your finger rests on the frame of the weapon upon drawing. Their is a hook in line with the trigger that retains the weapon. If used properly, they are very safe holsters. It sounds like his finger slipped off the frame. Lucky man.

Here is the XD holster:

http://www.blackhawk.com/images/catalog/413507BK-R_0THUMB.JPG

The button lined up perfectly with the trigger. We all took a hard look at it after the ND. Like I said before, I haven't seen any other Serpa holsters, but I don't like the one he had.

Also, so much for the grip safety (a highly overrated safety device, IMO).

"we do not allow the Blackhawk “Serpa†Holster in our classes" from tacticalresponse.com website.

The serpa has been blasted (no pun intended!) in multiple reviews on a lot of different boards. Several stories of the wearer shooting himself. Don't know if blackhawk has redesigned it or not.

I googled Blackhawk Serpa ND and there were a number of pages referencing a problem with this holster.

And someone else found these:

Gomez' SERPA Review at TPI (SouthNarc's website)

Google "Serpa Holster Issues"

Thread over at The High Road