Kel-Tec P11 vs. PF9

Guest TNDixieGirl

Guest canynracer
People want a small handgun that has good penetration but is light and without a lot of recoil. I don't know of any handguns that do that. Compensation helps, but has its problems in some situations.

The Kel-Tec P3AT is "snappy" as is the PF-9. It's a matter of physics. Low mass leads to snappiness. You have to make a trade-off of concealibility vs recoil. Note that really good handguns are available that combine control with concealibility. The H&K P7M8 is one such weapon. Want to spend way more than a grand of a handgun? Well, I did, but I'm kinda a perfectionist. If the PF-9 had been around when I was looking, I might would have gone for it. I certainly would have seriously considered it.

My thoughts are that the PF-9 is an IWB weapon, while the P11 is more of a side carry handgun.

I agree, I knew going in that the recoil may be an issue because of the size of the gun...it is not a range gun, it is for self-defense, I was just making the comment that it was a bit snappy. My Kahr CW40 is a bit snappy too, but I carry it everyday :lol:

I use my Sigma for the range.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The PF-9, in my opinion, actually IS a pocket gun, to disagree with one of the posts above. I carry one in my khaki pants pocket Mon-Sat, and the p3at on Sundays with suit pants.

(Thanks for the nice words about my reviews!)

The PF-9 is not the smallest 9mm pistol, but it is (these figures change often) quite flat and light. KT advertises it as the thinnist and lightest 9mm pistol. And it is AFFORDABLE, too. The Kahr PM9 costs around $600, and the PF-9 less than $300, usually.

Guest TNDixieGirl

I have handled the PF9 a little bit, and I found it fit in my pocket perfectly. Thats one reason I'm leaning towards purchasing one.

Decision will be made today though. I'm off work today so I'm going to the gun shop again in an hour or so and make sure I can operate it (rack slide, unload mag, etc). well enough to be safe. I've heard from a few that it's a bear to rack.

If it works for me, I'll be trading in the Walther P22 tomorrow. But I sure do love that Walther as far as handling abilities. Compared to my Sigma, all I have to do is touch the Walther slide to rack it. Hardly requires any force. I'd like to someday have the Walther PPS, but it's not in the budget right now.

And get this, my mother-in-law is bringing her widower neighbor to the range with us tomorrow. He signed up to take the permit class with her. :)

This is an alert for anyone buying a PF-9. It is a great gun, but you need to know up front that there is a trick to re-assembling the gun. The trick is: when re-installing the slide, you need to simultaneously depress the barrel hood into the slide, while sliding it back on. It's a bit tricky, and it won't go in any other way.

More details at: http://www.mouseguns.com/pf9rev/pf9rev.htm

Just remember that trick, and you will avoid that "depressed feeling!"