Kel-Tec P11 vs. PF9

Guest TNDixieGirl

Guest TNDixieGirl

Which do you prefer, and why?

I can't really figure out what the difference in the two are.

If your wife or daughter were going to purchase one, which would you rather have her carrying?

I know I probably drive ya'll nuts with my 1,000 questions, but the knowledge you guys, and girls, have is priceless to me. You help me figure out what I need to do or ask when I go handling the different guns. Wish I could invite you all for a good ole fashioned cook-out to show my thanks.

Edited by TNDixieGirl
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest EasilyObsessed

I am assuming this will be for concealed carry?

Well, no wife or daughter...but if my sister or mother asked me I would probably recommend the P11 out of those two. Higher capacity magazine. The gun is also slightly heavier for less perceived recoil.

But, to be entirely honest, if my mother or sister were looking for a gun, I would probably recommend a revolver. Most of my mothers attempts to pull back the slide of an automatic end up with her pinching some portion of her hand between the barrel and the slide. Additionally, the time and effort it takes my sister to pull back the slide of even my M&P would worry me if she were ever in a self defense situation and encountered a jam or misfire. If their heart was set on a small easily concealed automatic, I would probably recommend they step up to a Kahr.

Guest Vermont John

I have to agree with the recommendation of a revolver.

My wife and I took an 8 hour combat course that required high-capacity automatics. She used a Glock 9mm. It was her first time firing a gun.

She got through it, but always struggled with the slide.

I myself started out with a revolver. I think it is the best way to go for a beginner. With a revolver, you do not have that decision to make - cocked and locked, or no round in the chamber. With many modern, non-1911 semi-autos, you do not even have the option of cocked and locked. I know that the douible action auto's are supposed to emulate the simplicity to firing that a revolver offers, but it is not the same. You have to move much more metal to fire a revolver than an auto with one in the chamber. They are not the same.

Bottom line. My wife bought a titanium revolver as soon as she could, and feels quite safe around it, and quite capable of defending herself with it.

Guest TNDixieGirl

I think I need to clarify something. This is for me. I already have a Sigma DAO semi-auto and the slide, although heavy, isn't a problem for me. Yet. I'm simply comparing other 9mm's in smaller packages. I didn't mean to make it sound like it was for a beginner.

Guest canynracer

I like them both....the 9 is a little bigger, but I like the look of it...I have never shot either, I think Mars has...and I know there are members here with both versions...

I like the 11 just because of the extra capacity...

is your dad gonna get you one?

Edited by canynracer
Guest TNDixieGirl
is your dad gonna get you one?

No, when I get one (if I decide on one of these), I'm going to take back the Walther P22 my mother-in-law bought me today and trade it in. The manager that helped us said as long as I don't load or fire it, she'd give us the full price back on it for a trade-in.

Guest canynracer
No, when I get one (if I decide on one of these), I'm going to take back the Walther P22 my mother-in-law bought me today and trade it in. The manager that helped us said as long as I don't load or fire it, she'd give us the full price back on it for a trade-in.

NICE!!!! so have you held the 9 and 11? if so, which did you like better?

if you are asking about the reliability, I am sure they are pretty much equal, and from what I've heard, Kel-Tecs customer service is really good.

I would go with the one that feels the best to you....

check this site on the pf9...there is a video of the guy shooting it, you can get an idea of the recoil...

http://www.gunblast.com/Kel-Tec9mm.htm

Guest BG38357

I had a P11 for two years as my carry gun. Recently handled, but not fired the PF9.

If choosing between the two, I'd probably go with the PF9; it's slimmer and has a single-stack mag.

Guest kdgreen23

You do what you need to, but I just parked my G23 in the safe and sold

the G27 (glocks) and carry a PF-9. I have always carried a glock or my

walther but after purchasing the PF-9 and carrying it everyday, it stays

on me 24/7. It is the lightest of the sub-compacts, and right out of the box

no cleaning or oil, fired 150 rounds various ammo with no ftf, fte, or any

malfunction of any kind. I carry with one in the chamber and extra mag.

Plenty of firepower. You can't go wrong. And the guys over at:

www.ktog.org

are the nicest people to help with any questions. There are plenty of reviews

on every Kel-tec made. And Kel-tecs repair service is helpfull also. They are

shipping my P32 back as we speak. All it needed was a new hammer spring

that I broke trying to replace the frame with a different color. Needless to

say I am getting back a new gun with same serial number. All at no charge.

Try that with any other manufacturer. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Guest TNDixieGirl

yeah canyn, I have held them both, several times. I like the feel of both very much. Thats why it's so hard to decide if it comes down to these two. And I think it will.

Guest TNDixieGirl

ok, those links bring up another question (quit the eye-rolling!) :)

On every forum I've read (with the exception of kd's response above), it seems like if there's a problem with a Kel-Tec, they mail you a part to fix it. Well, is this standard operation for this brand? I'm not a gunsmith and I don't really like the idea of having to repair or "fluff and buff" a brand new gun to make it function properly. I can't even break one down by myself for cleaning (take it to my dad who helps me), so how could they expect the average jane to do gun repair? If there's a repair to be made, shouldn't they be making it?

Guest TNDixieGirl

whew, I like that idea MUCH better. I'm not mechanically inclined at all, and I know I couldn't pull off that fluff and buff described in mouseguns link. That scared me.

Guest jackdog

Dixie we just bought susan the PF9 last week between the week end and this Pm she has put 300 rounds through it with no problems. It's light, very concealable, and fits her smaller hands. She is used to shooting a G27 so the recoil does not bother her in the least. If you get near Dover, come give it a try.

Guest canynracer

ok, so I JUST picked up a PF9...went straight to the range, and agree, a little on the snappy side, but a great little gun!!! I like it!! course, I am not really allowed to keep it..LOL...the wife is upset....annnnyyyway....I do like the gun!! 150rds, not a hitch!

People want a small handgun that has good penetration but is light and without a lot of recoil. I don't know of any handguns that do that. Compensation helps, but has its problems in some situations.

The Kel-Tec P3AT is "snappy" as is the PF-9. It's a matter of physics. Low mass leads to snappiness. You have to make a trade-off of concealibility vs recoil. Note that really good handguns are available that combine control with concealibility. The H&K P7M8 is one such weapon. Want to spend way more than a grand of a handgun? Well, I did, but I'm kinda a perfectionist. If the PF-9 had been around when I was looking, I might would have gone for it. I certainly would have seriously considered it.

My thoughts are that the PF-9 is an IWB weapon, while the P11 is more of a side carry handgun.

Guest knightslayer57

I have at least one of all five model's in pistol caliber(other than the carbines). In my opinion the p32 is best(due to its small size, lighter recoil, and 10rd mag option), and p11(once again because of lowwer felt recoil and higher capacity mag(stock 10 and.....15s&w) followed by the p3at, and p40. The latter may move up in my estimation over time(with the exception of the p40) with additional accesories, but for now they are lacking..... IMHO.

When just comparing the two 9mm's, the pf9 is not a true pocket pistol, so the smaller size is not as much of a benifit as it could be......but it is easier to pocket than the p11(which I would not ever want to try and pull out of my front pocket in an emergency). Though to the comarison of the relativity of size to function the p11 wins over the pf9.

In all fairness, I like my g26 more than the p11 though and end up with it most days as my primary, with the p32 as my BUG.....or just the p32, as it is my always gun.

Edited by knightslayer57
Guest jackdog

For A woman I think the pf9 probably will fit her hand better than the PF11, at least this was how my wife felt. Snappy, yup they are but Mars explained that rather well. Suggest you test them see what fits you best, there both about equal in price. The recoil is not all that bad and Susan got used to it quickly. She just loves the gun, and carries every day since she got it. That makes it a winner in my book

Guest canynracer
Tell her it's for her! You were just testing it out for her so she woudln't be harmed if something went wrong.

Tried that....she said she would pick her own gun...LOL...