Saved $40/month on my Comcast bill...

BrandonTN

This is just a FYI for those of you who are currently Comcast subscribers and feel you are paying way too much. Both of my "promotions" ended a couple months ago and I got sick of paying the $100+ for internet and digital cable. Anyways, I called retentions and asked if they had any promotions for current subscribers. They tried to sell me on the Triple Play for $99 (wow, $1 savings), but I told them I use my cell phone for my house phone and they couldn't change that. I also told them I didn't necessarily want to drop my service, but we recently got DSL in the area and DirectTV was looking kind of tempting. Anyways, he came back with a deal of $59/month for 6 months. Hey, I'm not complain about saving $40/month, especially with the way gas and ammo prices have risen. Anyways, the moral of this story is that it doesn't hurt to call and ask about a better rate. I've learned that being polite goes a long ways. If they say no, you can always call back and hopefully get a different CSR. Hope this helps someone save a couple bucks!

:koolaid:

Edited by BrandonTN
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest failuredrill

called my credit card company (i have only one credit card) and told them that I felt that my interest rate was way too high( i didnt even know my rate as I use the card so rarely) the lady told me that it was 20.99% variable and I almost sharted my self....needless to say I told them they were about to get the shaft and she reduced the rate to a fixed 9% and added a rewards program free. Now I know that all I have to do is call and bicker a little and stuff happens...BTW I had done the same thing with Comcast last month and got the same deal...nice to know you have to gripe not to get ripped off. Makes you wonder what other things can be discounted if we only try.

Sean

Guest Boomhower

You must have a better comcast customer service than we do here in Knoxville. Several folks that I work with have tried similar tatics using Direct and knology and were pretty much told by by. They won't extent promo's around here for some reason...

Can I ask how much you bill was with digital cable + internet(kinda personal,pm me if you want,kinda personal i know:D)

I have cable + internet and my bill is $105(I think)whats the diff?

On a side note,I do this regular with my credit cards on the interest rates.seems to work best when I rack up a high balance,like after a gun buy.though I dont think they have ever done this with little or no balance.

called my credit card company (i have only one credit card) and told them that I felt that my interest rate was way too high( i didnt even know my rate as I use the card so rarely) the lady told me that it was 20.99% variable and I almost sharted my self....needless to say I told them they were about to get the shaft and she reduced the rate to a fixed 9% and added a rewards program free. Now I know that all I have to do is call and bicker a little and stuff happens...BTW I had done the same thing with Comcast last month and got the same deal...nice to know you have to gripe not to get ripped off. Makes you wonder what other things can be discounted if we only try.

Sean

You need another card to compar them to when asking.when they say no,its the best we offer,tell them x card gives me x.xx% and if you dont come down I will cancel this card.they know how many cards you have,or dont have,and atleast one more will give you leverage

Can I ask how much you bill was with digital cable + internet(kinda personal,pm me if you want,kinda personal i know:D)

I have cable + internet and my bill is $105(I think)whats the diff?

I just got my bill today (which is what prompted me to call) and it was $101.87 after the taxes and fees. That is for 6MB HSI w/ NO modem rental (I have my own) and just the "digital starter" cable with no movie channels or anything like that.

Edited by BrandonTN
You must have a better comcast customer service than we do here in Knoxville. Several folks that I work with have tried similar tatics using Direct and knology and were pretty much told by by. They won't extent promo's around here for some reason...

Actually when I called I was routed through to Knoxville, that has happened a few times for me in Chattanooga. Not sure why since there is a huge Comcast complex down here. :koolaid:

Concast consistently has there head up their behinds, so that doesn't surprise me Brandon. I'm paying $60/month for analog cable (about 100 channels with no HD) and high speed internet. They sent me a letter a few years ago saying that they were going to cut my channels back to the basic ones if I didn't agree to go with a higher priced plan. I just pitched it in the trash. I still have the same channels I had before the letter came. :koolaid:

I've been on the same plan for probably 8 years, just keep in mind that I don't have a digital cable box from them. When I initially ordered it I got it just for the internet as I have satellite so I ordered the basic package with High speed. I think it's really supposed to come with like 10 channels or something.

I called them last month because they raised my bill by $9. I said "What can you do to keep me from looking at the Direct TV web site tonight"? They gave me Digital Cable TV, Phone, and Internet for $99 for one year. I told them I really didn't need the phone since we have been using cellular only for a year, so that wasn't a big deal for me. So they threw in HBO too. Add my HD and DVR and I'm about $1 less than what I was paying before they raised my rate, so it's pretty much a wash. But the point is I didn't get my bill raised.

Also, does anyone else think that the DVR is the best thing since hollowpoint cartridges? I don't think I can watch TV without it anymore. I usually goof off for about the first 15 minutes of a program now while pausing the show, then fast forward through the commercials. I can record shows without having to worry about a tape. It's just awesome.

About 4 months ago i just took my boxes to the knoxville office and told them i wanted to cancel service and they gave me a much better rate. I'm gonna have to do it again soon cause the promo is almost up and i refuse to pay 100 bucks to watch tv and i can use my cellphone as a modem to get the internet.