1st Handgun Searching... first range visit.

Guest Burgan

One other thing I suggest is buying a good quality holster and walking around with the pistol on your hip for a while. My challenge has not been finding one that I am comfortable shooting but instead one that feels comfortable on my side. That said, you probably won't carry if it's uncomfortable so the what's the point??? Right now I am trying a Glock 27 w/ pinky ext. I think one key will be finding the right holster and don't forget the right belt. Most store bought belts on average are too flimsy to handle the weight of even the subcompacts.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18
Thanks.

Also, to everyone that says I need to give the glock a chance: I will. Actually, before I was 21 I thought Glocks were the best thing since sliced bread (haha). But now that I been around more handguns I'm not too sure. I many just don't like the take down.

I thought the same when I got into firearms. All I knew was Glock Glock and Glock from TV and such. I found that I wasn't overly fond of the grip angle so I ended up with an XD. Glocks are good guns, but are not for everyone.

Guest Burgan

Question about shooting: Should I use one target per gun or a couple targets with all the guns? Since its more supposed to be about feel than accuracy.

Thanks.

Also, to everyone that says I need to give the glock a chance: I will. Actually, before I was 21 I thought Glocks were the best thing since sliced bread (haha). But now that I been around more handguns I'm not too sure. I many just don't like the take down.

You're not the only one...I wanted a Glock for so long until I tried a Sig and was told by everyone to try new guns. I also liked some of the H&K offerings but their prices are insane.

Question about shooting: Should I use one target per gun or a couple targets with all the guns? Since its more supposed to be about feel than accuracy.

Honestly, it depends on how many rounds you plan on firing out of each gun. If you're not firing a lot, just get 3 targets for $1 and use them. Just aim for different spots on the target for your accuracy but get a good feel for the gun because accuracy gets better over time (so I'm told) while the feel lasts forever. Hold it in your hand unloaded and then load it and get a good feel for each trigger pull. See what you like and don't like about it and then pick your favorites and go from there.

Edited by wcsc12
Guest nysos
Thanks.

The more I shoot the more I appreciate the glock. If you can find a model/generation that fits your hand well - that is the hardest part imo. Once that is done, they are pretty soft shooting, get back on target quick, and are EASY to shoot well compared to many other guns. I picked my co-workers g19 up for the first time and shot it better than any other gun for the first time except maybe a good 1911. They aren't for everyone, but not every gun is. Don't rule reputable gun out of the picture, there is bound to be at least person that hates on any given model. It just might happen to be the guy behind the gun counter the day you are looking at said model, so don't get discouraged if you like something someone else is bashing it. You are using it, not them. Give everything an honest chance and you will do fine.

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez
The more I shoot the more I appreciate the glock. If you can find a model/generation that fits your hand well - that is the hardest part imo. Once that is done, they are pretty soft shooting, get back on target quick, and are EASY to shoot well compared to many other guns. I picked my co-workers g19 up for the first time and shot it better than any other gun for the first time except maybe a good 1911. They aren't for everyone, but not every gun is. Don't rule reputable gun out of the picture, there is bound to be at least person that hates on any given model. It just might happen to be the guy behind the gun counter the day you are looking at said model, so don't get discouraged if you like something someone else is bashing it. You are using it, not them. Give everything an honest chance and you will do fine.

This is sort of my experience with Glocks. I had handled a few and simply did not care for them. They did not seem to point naturally for me at all, and I found them uncomfortable to hold. I tried shooting one once and had moderate luck, but definitely shot other things better.

Then I changed my grip. Improved my all around shooting. Saw someone else checking out an EXO, and thought it looked neat. While they were giving their info to put it on hold I decided just to hold it and see what it was like using my new grip. What do you know, it worked for me! I found one for myself, took it to the range last weekend, and found that it was quite a shooter. I have definitely changed my thoughts on Glocks.

But the moral of the story is really that your tastes may change over time. You may find that something suddenly starts working for you that never did before. Or maybe you stop caring for something you used to like. Don't feel pressured into getting something you're not comfortable with, but also don't become too set in your ways and refuse to reevaluate your likes and needs every so often. You may be surprised at what you discover.

Guest nysos
This is sort of my experience with Glocks. I had handled a few and simply did not care for them. They did not seem to point naturally for me at all, and I found them uncomfortable to hold. I tried shooting one once and had moderate luck, but definitely shot other things better.

Then I changed my grip. Improved my all around shooting. Saw someone else checking out an EXO, and thought it looked neat. While they were giving their info to put it on hold I decided just to hold it and see what it was like using my new grip. What do you know, it worked for me! I found one for myself, took it to the range last weekend, and found that it was quite a shooter. I have definitely changed my thoughts on Glocks.

But the moral of the story is really that your tastes may change over time. You may find that something suddenly starts working for you that never did before. Or maybe you stop caring for something you used to like. Don't feel pressured into getting something you're not comfortable with, but also don't become too set in your ways and refuse to reevaluate your likes and needs every so often. You may be surprised at what you discover.

Almost the exact same thing for me. Previous times I had shot glocks, I shot them ok - didn't really like them at the time so didn't try hard to shoot it well. Then after owning a few other handguns and changing my grip around and shooting technique, I shot one again. The g19 fit my hand very well with my new grip, the gen3 & gen4 with the finger groves fit good for me, and I have a great thumbs forward grip on it. Recoil was easily manageable, very natural to point and be on target (but omg I hate the factory sites). A glock is definitely in my future now that my tastes have changed.

Guest Burgan

Made the drive today out to the Range at Coal Creek Armory. Took my mother with me. It was her first time shoot a handgun and had expressed interest about shooting a handgun.

Shot a bunch of different gun. Bought 3 targets for $1. Shared one and each had our own.

She shot only 9mm (40 rounds). Whereas I mixed the calibers up a bit (30 rounds 9mm, 10 round .40).

Her favorite was the CZ 75B. Mine was a tie between the CZ 75B and CZ 75D Compact.

We both had the same opinion on the Glock. We don't like them. I shot both a 9mm Glock 19 and a .40 Glock 22 and didn't like either of them.

The recoil of the .40 vs the 9mm isn't that much different it's just snappier. But I think for my first gun I'm getting a 9mm. Most likely the CZ 75B.

Made the drive today out to the Range at Coal Creek Armory. Took my mother with me. It was her first time shoot a handgun and had expressed interest about shooting a handgun.

Shot a bunch of different gun. Bought 3 targets for $1. Shared one and each had our own.

She shot only 9mm (40 rounds). Whereas I mixed the calibers up a bit (30 rounds 9mm, 10 round .40).

Her favorite was the CZ 75B. Mine was a tie between the CZ 75B and CZ 75D Compact.

We both had the same opinion on the Glock. We don't like them. I shot both a 9mm Glock 19 and a .40 Glock 22 and didn't like either of them.

The recoil of the .40 vs the 9mm isn't that much different it's just snappier. But I think for my first gun I'm getting a 9mm. Most likely the CZ 75B.

Awesome ;) Did you get a chance to give the Sig P226 a try?

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

Sounds like a pretty good experience. Good luck going forward with your first purchase, and buy with confidence!

Guest Burgan
Awesome :D Did you get a chance to give the Sig P226 a try?

Yes, That was the second gun we shot. It's a fine pistol. Slightly wider than the CZ and slightly lighter. It seemed not to handle the recoil as well as the CZ. Though it was quite an accurate gun. Hit Dead Center bullseye second shot. My mother hit bullseye right after me, when she tried. It didn't feel as good in my hand as the CZ did.

Yes, That was the second gun we shot. It's a fine pistol. Slightly wider than the CZ and slightly lighter. It seemed not to handle the recoil as well as the CZ. Though it was quite an accurate gun. Hit Dead Center bullseye second shot. My mother hit bullseye right after me, when she tried. It didn't feel as good in my hand as the CZ did.

Wow...good shooting. Sounds like it's time to find you a good deal on a CZ :up:

Guest Rysaber
Nysos does make a good point. That's the same thing my father said about the guns when I told him how it went and showed him the targets. Though I think if I was to get a CCW it would be a Stainless Steel gun like the Sig. I feel the polymers are too much bulk for CCW.

joejodus -- You make a good point about good trigger control. Also, I figure as everything practice makes perfect.

Hello Burgan and welcome to the world of hand guns. All the advice you have been given, I really can't add to it. I will let you know I have fired several that you mentioned and had the best feel to the Springfield XD 9mm sub compact. There are several products out there like pinky extension to change out the base plate of the mag to give your little finger a place to go. It also takes the extend mag with sleeve for 16 rounds.

Just so you know CCW does not exist here in TN. It is just a Handgun Carry Permit or HCP as it gives you the right to carry concealed. CCW are in other states separate from the HCP.

Guest Burgan
Hello Burgan and welcome to the world of hand guns. All the advice you have been given, I really can't add to it. I will let you know I have fired several that you mentioned and had the best feel to the Springfield XD 9mm sub compact. There are several products out there like pinky extension to change out the base plate of the mag to give your little finger a place to go. It also takes the extend mag with sleeve for 16 rounds.

Just so you know CCW does not exist here in TN. It is just a Handgun Carry Permit or HCP as it gives you the right to carry concealed. CCW are in other states separate from the HCP.

Thanks. I did do my research on pinky extensions if I wanted to carry a compact. I figured I'd start with a fullsize 9mm and go from there. Sorry for the misterminology. Everywhere I've been before usually you get permits to buy and then a CCW. I did not realize the CCW and the HCP was different. I knew it was a Handgun Carry Permit, but I figured it was basically a permit to have a Concealed Carry Weapon.

Guest Burgan
Wow...good shooting. Sounds like it's time to find you a good deal on a CZ :(

Right now I'm finding them for about $430-$500 depending on finish.

Guest Rysaber
Thanks. I did do my research on pinky extensions if I wanted to carry a compact. I figured I'd start with a fullsize 9mm and go from there. Sorry for the misterminology. Everywhere I've been before usually you get permits to buy and then a CCW. I did not realize the CCW and the HCP was different. I knew it was a Handgun Carry Permit, but I figured it was basically a permit to have a Concealed Carry Weapon.

No problem I had the same mis-terminology before I went for mine. I thought they where separate, and asked the instructor about the next step he said there was none because a CCW would mean you could carry more than just a firearm Concealed as weapon is a general term and could be used for a knife, baton, or anything else you can think of. So I thought I would share that information with you.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Burgan
No problem I had the same mis-terminology before I went for mine. I thought they where separate, and asked the instructor about the next step he said there was none because a CCW would mean you could carry more than just a firearm Concealed as weapon is a general term and could be used for a knife, baton, or anything else you can think of. So I thought I would share that information with you.

That makes sense... but if they start requiring a permit to "conceal carry" a knife... then we would definitly all be in the tank...

UPDATE: Still looking for a good deal on CZ75B. Also, waiting to start working so I can have the extra money for the handgun purchase. I'm think of of getting a FFL transfer CZ75 from CZ Custom Shop (czcustom.com). Anybody ever done a FFL with these guys before? I'm not interested in their trigger job...even though I heard its a good upgrade.

UPDATE: Still looking for a good deal on CZ75B. Also, waiting to start working so I can have the extra money for the handgun purchase. I'm think of of getting a FFL transfer CZ75 from CZ Custom Shop (czcustom.com). Anybody ever done a FFL with these guys before? I'm not interested in their trigger job...even though I heard its a good upgrade.

Bud's usually has them for under $450.

Guest nysos

Tennessee's handgun carry permit does NOT cover legal carrying of asp batons. These are still illegal with or without a permit. Some states will allow it, others have a required class to practice the use of the baton before allowing to carry - Tennessee is neither of those.

Guest Burgan

Bud's wants $483 for the black CZ75Bs. It seems like the price of CZ 75s have gone up since last time I looked (about a month ago). I used to be able to find them for a $450, now most of what I find is $480 and up. Also, it seems like noone has them in stock. IS there something going on right now in the gun world?

Guest RichieRich
Burgan, when you go to purchase your handgun I wouldn't get it from Outdoor Junction. Their prices are just too high compared to other places. Check out S&R Guns in Algood. The owner Steve is a good guy to deal with. You might also want to try Shooters Depot down in Chattanooga if your down that way sometime. Nice indoor range and they have good prices.

I carry a subcompact XD 40, it's a great gun. But then again it's all about what your comfortable with. Good luck with your search.

Online certainly is an option, but I'm a big advocate of supporting local ranges. According to the OP, this place provided him good service and gave him a chance to sample. Rather than just going online and not giving this place an opportunity, consider instead getting a bid from one or two of the online people and ask the range if they can match it. If they can, then it's a no brainer to buy local. If they come close, I'd still personally buy from them.

I don't have a dog in this fight (never been to this range--not anywhere near me) but I do think we need to make sure that local places don't all get put out of business by the internet distributors. You can't shoot on the internet and we need our local ranges.

Guest Burgan

Outdoor Junction carries a wide selection of Beretta, Kimber, Glock, Springfield Armory, HiPoint, S&W, SigSauer and they are also a dealer of CZ-USA. But they will have to order the CZs which it seems like alot of places have their orders on stockable CZs are all on hold. I was going to buy from CZ Custom Shop, but they don't even have any CZ75Bs in stock.

But then I considered something...

Originally, I was looking for a CZ85B because I am a lefty shooter, but when I first started looking I didn't think the price was worth the ambi controls. But now that the CZ75Bs are getting harder to find might consider getting an 85B since they are getting close in price.