Cerakote 1st Gen G17

gunrunner32 (this forum) helped me rejuvinate my 1988 1st Gen Glock 17. I like Cerakote because it sheds dirt pretty well. Once my wife got this pistol in her hands she claimed it as her own. When it was stock black she gave it a big yawn, now she thinks it not only feels good but looks good. As an aside, if you have not handled a 1st Gen 17 the grip feel is totally different than a 2nd, 3rd or 4th Gen 17s. I think Gaston and his team got it right the first time, capitulating to screechers on the later generations. Any shortcomings to the 1st Gen grip can be easily addressed with grip tape or a woodburning pen. What were they thinking when they added finger "humps?"

1stGen17Redux.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Hakkonen

Does Cerakote come in any other colors? No offense, but that brown coupled with the organic look of the stuff (I assume it sprays on like truck-bed liners) literally makes it look like your gun is encrusted with feces.

Guest Bronker
...I think Gaston and his team got it right the first time, capitulating to screechers on the later generations. Any shortcomings to the 1st Gen grip can be easily addressed with grip tape or a woodburning pen. What were they thinking when they added finger "humps?"

Here-here! :confused:

Does Cerakote come in any other colors? No offense, but that brown coupled with the organic look of the stuff (I assume it sprays on like truck-bed liners) literally makes it look like your gun is encrusted with feces.

NIC Industries - Products and Services

Dozens of other colors.

Also, this is a pretty neat way to check color combinations on your gun.

NIC Industries - Virtual Gun Coater

Dolomite

Does "no offense" make it ok to say things that are offensive? I'm going to try it w/ my wife and report back my findings...

OMG NO...............Someone Stop Him before its to late.

Guest pfries
Does "no offense" make it ok to say things that are offensive? I'm going to try it w/ my wife and report back my findings...

I'll save a spot on the couch for ya! :confused:

OMG NO...............Someone Stop Him before its to late.

I call dibs on his guns. Depending on what is being discussed when he says "no offense" his picture might appear on the side of a milk carton.

Dolomite

I guess y'all are saying that "no offense" doesn't work. Unfortunately my mind sometimes can't keep up with my mouth so I stay "on the couch" quite frequently.

To the OP, the gun looks good. How many rounds down range with that guy and any issues to speak of as time as gone on?

The only thing I have found about Cerakote is that there is a dimensional change (thickness) to some small extent. If you have the gun done top to bottom inside and out you will need to address contact points. But that is a small price in my mind compared to easy cleanup, if cleaning plastic can be called "hard." The stuff works well on my metal guns. I am just starting to shoot "The Turd" 1st Gen G17. As most of you can tell from seeing my guns colors don't bother me too much. In the case of the G17 I wanted to see how the color comes out. It looks different on the Cerakote (NICS Industry) website. There is an ever so slight texture on this gun now that I like over the pretty slick 1st Gen plastic 23 yr old Glock plastic. I am having another Glock done up in another frame color I'll post when I get it back.