Feed Ramps on Browning clones

Guest jaypee

I have three FEG 9mm Hi Power barrels with the humped feed ramp and I'm looking for a good gunsmith in the area with experience in straightening out the feed ramps on these guns, i.e. taking the hump out so they will feed JHP ammo properly. Would anyone have any experience with having this done in or around Tennessee? Any help would be appreciated.

JayPee

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jaypee

Thanks, gents. I've polished these ramps too. But they are modeled after the older Browning feed ramps and have a big hump in them that must be removed before they will feed JHP's reliably. So I'm talking about serious metal removal and recontouring of the entire ramp. I took a hard look at doing it myself after some serious advice from machinist. But I've never done one before and it is a very precise job....and if I mess one up these guns are out of production and would have to replace the barrel with a Browning or a match barrel, etc, plus having it fitted. So if I mess one up it will take more than the gun is worth to fix it. So I'm going to find a gunsmith who's done them before and not take the risk. Thanks for the good advice, I appreciate it.

JayPee

If your intent on not doing it yourself, get an EFK. They're $154.99, don't require fitting, and IMO are as good or better than say, Barsto. I had an PJK-9HP that I polished the hump out of the ramp and later got the EFK. You'll definitely come out ahead as far as quality and cost as opposed to working over the FEG barrel. besides the FEG barrels are prone to cracking - I know from experience.

Here's the link https://www.efkfiredragon.com/products.php?cat=46

Edited by Smith
Guest jaypee

Thanks, neighbor. A gunsmith buddy has just about talked me into doing it under his supervision so I'll give it a try. Thanks for the information on the EFK barrels. I've found it would take about the same money to have a smith do each barrel, and also if I botch one that gives me a good way to go. Thanks very much.

JayPee

Edited by jaypee
Guest jaypee

Nate,

Thought you'd like to know we de-humped our first clone a couple of days ago with a Dremel and some rubber mandrels impregnated with polishing medium. This one was a Charles Daly HP. Range tested it with a slew of different JHP loads and it runs great.

Thanks for the advice.

JayPee