xdm 40 3.8 compact ?????

mudstud

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 556or762

I have an XD40 not the XD m and all of my XD's are 4" service models, however I have shot one of the XDm .40 compacts and it had a lot of muzzle flip for me. I shot 3 mags thru one just acouple of weeks ago one with the mag extension and two compact mags, I had a lot more muzzle flip than I expected with the compact mags but the fullsize mag helped to hold the muzzle down better. I have a thing for 4" guns I guess to me they are much easier to handle and help to make quick follow up shots much easier than the compacts. I think they are nice guns and should prove to be very reliable adn easy to maintain but the extreme pressure of the .40 cartridge in anything shorter than a 4" barrel and a fullsize grip becomes hard to control to me. I have a Kahr P45 and I think it is much more controllable than the XDm compact .40 I am pretty sure its all in the cartridge the compact 9 shoots great and is much easier to make a quick follow up shot with as the barrel stays down and the sight get back on target faster. All in all its a good gun it just depends on what you are comfortable with in my opinion you need a gun you can handle easily and make quick well placed shots with for carry so that rules out a .40 compact for me.

I had the XDM .40. It shot good, accurate and reliable sort of. However, for some reason, one time every time I went to the range, I would release the magazine while firing. I could never figure out if it was a problem with the gun or if it was me hitting the mag release. This is the only pistol this has ever happened with. I have Glocks, 1911's, CZ's, etc. I believe it was my grip and I was releasing it on one side or the other of the ambidextrous mag release. I researched it a little and could find no one else that had a similar problem as mine. I decided to cut it loose and get me another Glock 23....not a single malfunction since I took it out of the box.

I have the XDm 40 full size. The compact version wasn't on the market when

I bought it. Wish I had waited & got the compact. The full size is a good gun,

But a bit large for concealment carry. I'd say go for the 3.8 compact.

Guest friesepferd

I have recently switched my carry gun to the Xdm 3.8" 9mm compact. I absolutely love it. Can't find a thing wrong with it, and I can actually conceal it just fine (I was worred about not being able to as a small woman, moving up from a smaller gun). Its accurate, very comfortable, reliable, etc. I really can't say enough good about it.

Now the 40... I'll pass. Don't get me wrong, If I were to get a 40, it would proabably be an XD... I just absolutely hate 40s.

• 1 month later...

I had a BiTone XDm .40 3.8 compact and it was a hell of a gun. Was fun to shoot, felt good in my hand, never had a problem with it and it was damn sexy. Yes I said had, I sold it. Let me tell you why. 1) Grip safety. Although it never caused a problem, I just feel that it is unnecessary and has the potential to cause a problem one day i.e. emergency weak hand draw, which would either result in shooting upside down (next to impossible with the grip safety) or taking the time to secure the weapon between your legs or under your arm or something then regaining a right side up grip (which even with practice takes way too long). This can be fixed many different ways such as glue, a grip sleeve, grip tape, rubber band etc. but is still unnecessary. Or what if the grip safety breaks (I haven't heard any reports of it, but it is a possibility). I just don't think it is necessary and could have been left off. 2) One of the best things about an XDm is that they are a damn good copy of a GLOCK which means they feel really similar but are just different enough to not want to be switching back and forth from my GLOCKs. Same thing with the M&Ps, good guns, just too similar to a GLOCK without offering enough to make me want to switch. None of the GLOCK copies on the market offer something revolutionary enough to make me want to switch, so although they are all good guns, I think I'll stick with what I have. That being said, if neither of those issues bother you, I think you will be more than happy with an XDm.

Edit: I just realized that I still have that XDm as my avatar picture.... going to have to change that to something else since it is gone.

Edited by shane_huskey
Guest ArmaDeFuego

Like friesepferd, I too carry the XDm 9mm Compact. Havent found anything wrong with it yet. Its fairly easy to conceal & not too heavy. I've got a few hundred rounds through it & not one malfunction at all so far.

I dont really like .40 caliber either. If I had to pick between the .40 XDm compact & the 9mm, I'd go with the 9mm every time. But to each his own..... :D