Is it just me or is poison ivy out of control this year?

Poison Ivy. I usually have some around my property and it had been no real problem in the past but this year it's everywhere. It's popping up even in the middle of my yard. I've gotten it on parts of me I don't want to describe! My dogs have also gotten into it and passed it onto my wife and me (not related to the parts I don't want to describe, that was my fault for not washing my hands!). Fels Naptha seems to do a good job of getting it off my skin and out of my clothes but there was a painful learning curve involved. Round Up only seems to affect it temporarily. It keeps coming back.

Has anyone else noticed an unusual amount of this stuff this year? What do you use to eradicate it?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually don't find it until I get the weed eater out! Got hit so bad last year I had to go to the Dr. Got a couple shots and a handfull of steroids. He told me to wash with a "grease cutting" dish detergent in the shower, because normal soap only spread the poisoin ivy oil around more. So far this approach seems to have worked for me so far.

I agree about the spreading. I have a steep upward slope beside my house that usually has some on the lower edge of the bank. This year it seems to have tripled or quadrupled in area. I can't even mow or trim near it without breaking out. Luckily for me, an old co-worker has a lawn service and he cuts it for me.

The first year we moved here, I cut that bank in short and t-shirt. Right, very stupid. I was covered from head to ankles and miserable for about two weeks. Could barely wear clothes, and as with your experiences; it took steriod shots and oral prednisone to clear it up.

My therory, at least for my area, is that last years' flooding spread the viness all over my hillside.

Guest db99wj

It's the governments......ummm nevermind!

I also hear that the kerosene kills it. My MIL and my mother both can be downwind and get it.

regular Round Up won't kill it. I always buy the poison ivy and tough brush version of the stuff. Works like a charm.

I have not noticed it any worse this year than any other, it is all over in the woods just like always. And when it decides to come closer to my space the Round Up takes care of it.

Guest pfries
I haven't really noticed an increase in poison ivy on my property but have noticed an increase in ticks and snakes in my area.

Same here,

I am fortunate as I don't have a reaction to it my self. I do however have to clean everything myself as wife gets it when the wind blows wrong.