Ruger LC9 review.

I had a chance today to put 100 rounds through my new LC9. ($345 plus tax). I am very impressed with this little pistol. It looks much more refined than the Kel-Tec it was copied from and it felt more refined. The slide was smooth and the finish was of good quality. The trigger is....different. It is longer than "War and Peace" but it's so smooth and light and even, throughout the pull. I wasn't sure how it was going to do at the range but I was surprised by how well I could pull the trigger. With the pad of my finger I was able to shoot some decent groups at 10 yards (considering I am not that good of a shoot). With the joint of my finger I was able to fire very fast while maintaining good control and getting good hits. The pistol shoots like it is well broken in and the 100 rounds were gone quickly. This little pistol is sweet!

Here are two myths I have read about this gun that I found to be false.

1) The LC9's recoil is too "snappy": I was expecting something like a snubby ultra-light with 38sp+Ps. So the first time I shoot it I was ready for some recoil. April fools! The recoil is insignificant. It's nothing!

2) This is not a range pistol: I found the LC9 to be a lot of fun to shoot and quite accurate.

Things I do not like about the LC-9:

a)It came in a cardboard box. Like a Happy Meal.

b)You only get one magazine. My Glock 19 came with 3 mags, a loader, holster and cleaning rod in a nice plastic box.

c)Take-down requires you to pop out a pin. I know that pin is going to roll down into the couch and disappear.

d) It only has a 7 round magazine. But it is slim and can hide behind a T-shirt IWB.

e) Oh yeah. It is not a pocket 9mm. I will keep my little 380 for pocket carry.

Edited by Will Carry
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Owning a PF9 gave me a good baseline to measure my Lc9 against and I agree with everything Will Carry said in his review. I will point out though that the PF9 and Lc9 have different grip angles and the Lc9 just feel's better when shot. Since my wife laid claim to my PF9 I don't think I'll be shooting it any more.