SERE SCHOOL

Guest brandon_pitt

Guest WyattEarp
Has anyone here actually been through the school recently? My best friend just returned. He is in the 160th out of campbell. He told me all about it. He went last winter and said it was bad, he wouldn't volunteer for a second trip if he had the option. It's a mind game. Yeah they beat you and make your living situation "uncomfortable," but that's the point.... to prepare you for reality if that ever happens. My friend came back with a busted up hand, and a bruised forearm... but I think he's glad he did it.

What unit are you in?

most recruiters and prior SERE personnel, "WON'T" tell you that those things happens at SERE School, because they don't want to scare people out of going through it, and like others have said, it takes away from the purpose of the training. All fighter pilots and SF guys have to go through it mandatorily. but honestly, do you think the government would just put a fighter pilot in control of a $30 million + aircraft, without knowing if he's mentally and physically tough and can resist the enemy's torture tactics or not? That pilot will have future top secret target briefings, intel on strike points, and air assaults. SF guys will have intel on ground assaults, and targets, etc. Sure you get beat up and tortured, they have to simulate a POW environment and treatment, to one teach you how to overcome pain, and to block it out mentally and not give up your countrymen and intel.

Did your football coach bother to tell you that'd you be running and puking your guts out in 2-a-days in the 100* heat with Heat Indexes of 110* + when you signed up for the team? No, he didn't because if he had, he'd know you'd second guess yourself and your decision and it would have taken away from the process of making you physically and mentally tougher. Anything physical in life, is not without pain and sacrifice.

One of my instructor Sgt's in AIT when I was in the Army, he flat out didn't bull**** us when he told us about SERE school, he said you'll get your ass kicked for days on end, to the point where you think you're gonna die. He was one of those Sergeants, funny as hell, great personality, always your friend and mentor, never a hardass unless you gave him a reason to be, but he also told it like it was. He had a broken arm when he came out of SERE school, but physical wounds will heal. **** sounds harsh and it is harsh, it's the real world, not this kushy, gooey, everyone's gotta be nice to everybody and not offend everybody type of world that most of these yammering yuppie liberals would like to build, where we all have group hug therapy sessions on a daily basis. Yusef Ali Bin Gabbah will not care that you got a boo-boo when he takes you captive in Afghanistan, or that your feelings are hurt, he wants to know what your mission is, what you target is, and what else you know and he will use any means necessary to find out, and he will torture you, and then kill you.

I wouldn't care to go through it, but the military is not an organization where it's all just fun and games and guns. This is training for when you have to deal with the enemy in a not so good situation. It trains to you survive, evade, resist if captured, and escape.

Anyone who's worried about physical pain, probably shouldn't go through the school or contemplate going through it. NO PAIN, NO GAIN! And like our DS's preached to us in Basic, MIND OVER MATTER. YOU DON'T MIND, BECAUSE IT DOESN'T MATTER! Hoooah!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good Luck Buddy. It's the best training school I have been through in my Military career.

I went through the school at Fairchild back a few years ago. You don't need to know anything before you go, it will only make the experience better. If someone offers you information or gouge, don't bother. The fact that your a blank slate and get trauma is part of what ingrains it in your memory. Probably the best part of the training. My only suggestion is to bring the gear you would realistically wear in the field. I wore the exact stuff I would be wearing if I ever find myself in a SERE situation. Bag, Flight boots, and they provided the survival vest and ruck that would hopefully be in your aircraft survival kit. If your comfortable surviving in a real type scenario then that's all the better for you. A lot of dudes wore BDU's because they are more comfortable and 2 peices, but I personally think your shorting yourself a little if you do that.

Bring a flashlight with green and red lens (preferably a headlamp for use of your hands). Red is great for night evasion. Other than that a good knife and some camping TP. Really just the same type crap you are used to for a overnight camp. Someone in my group brought a few bullion cubes for Thumper. It helped a little for the flavor. Hot Sauce might help as well. Immodium might help you keep from crapping while in uncomfortable situations. Good sunglasses and hot weather undershirts.

Thats all I can think of right now.

Let us know how it goes!

I went in 1990 so I can't relate anything about how the school is now. I won't tell you anything about RT.

The instructors there are top notch, just pay attention and learn.

As for boots, it was winter when I went. The instructors in the field all wore Danner Fort Lewis boots. I used my hunting boots (dyed black) and was fine even in 10 below zero. I later bought a pair of Danners. I have used those in Antarctica in 50 below.

I took a Ka-Bar and it worked well for all the field chores.

Good luck.

Brandon, good luck to you at SERE school. I went through in February of 1992, so I'm not sure any of my advice would still be relevant. I will tell you that you will retain more from this school then you can possibly imagine and it will benefit you all of your life. Maintain a good attitude, appreciate the spirit and intent behind the school, and be honorable and engaged during the whole process.

I was very impressed with the effort put forth by the school and the instructors and since my chosen profession was going to be helicopter rescue, I was blessed with receiving special attention, if you know what I mean, and at the time that wasn't so cool, but I have always appreciated and and respected it as I moved on through my career.

I think your best advice will come from your senior class, who will be just finishing as you arrive. Don't be swayed by the scare tactics you usually get from a class that just finished what you are about to endure, just look at them and rightfully assume if they can do it...so can you. There will always be some decent folks who tell you the right things and what worked or didn't work for them.

The actual time in the field is designed to be tough, and it is, but that is the secret of getting you to retain so much of the class. Captain Scott O'grady who also went through Spokane, credits the school with his survival when he was shot down over Bosnia.

Anyway, I know a fella in your position wants more detail but you will soon learn that some of those secrets are meant to stay secrets. I will tell you that you will see a few people wash out, that always happens and I've always believed those things happen for a reason, and a good reason at that. It really is a mind game, so try to remember that no matter how sleep deprived, hungry, and tired you are.

The resistance portion of the training is the hardest part for a lot of people, but I had trouble being hungry out in the survival portion. I didn't like not having a food supply so take advantage of everything you can even if you are tired and cold. I caught 6-squirrels while I was there using the methods they taught me, and I ate every part of those little squirrels and it helped my attitude immensely. Don't get me wrong, resistance is not a lot of fun, especially if you have to take the advanced course. Military careers are a series of stepping stones, so just get through this step and onto the next.

ITS WORTH IT!

I went through AF SERE school back in 2002. I would not try to get to much info from anyone becaue like others have said that is the point. You will not know what is going to hapen if you ever get captured in real life. Just know that it is meant to break you down and then build you back up. In my opinion though, it will be (it was for me) the best military training you will get and it will give you the greatest appreciation for what you are doing.