SERE SCHOOL

Guest brandon_pitt

Guest brandon_pitt

So I am leaving in 90 days to begin my military career. At one point in my training I will be going through SERE in Spokane, Washington. Knowing the military personnel and survival enthusiasts on TGO, I was hoping someone could shed some light or advice on what to prepare for and possibly how to prepare. Thanks gentlemen.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin Team

SERE school is serious stuff, and too my last knowledge the cadre teaching are the some of the best there is at staying alive. You are expected to learn. They'll push you beyond your boundaries. Pay attention. If you ever need any of those skills you'll have the rest of your life to remember them. Good luck.

Guest brandon_pitt
If someone tells you what to expect it kind of takes away from the training and it's purpose.
Sure, but why go into something blindly when others have done It before me? Knowledge is power is it not?

Is Brandon Pitt your real name? I was a Navy SERE Inst. from 96 to 2000. I know folks in Spokane and please, please tell my your name isnt your screen name.

As others have said if you know the processes and events of the school, you wont learn as much and it will detract from the course. Mr. Brooks said it best "Wear comfortable boots". And my pet peeve when I was there, cheap knives. You will be allowed to take some personal items, ie ,boots, knives, flashlight, etc. Anyway I was surprised by the amount of students that would show up for training with a $2 knife, just to have it fall apart or break.

Keep your eyes and mind open and your mouth shut. :koolaid:

As with almost all military schools it is going to be a gut check. Most schools like this are nothing more than a mind game to help you see how hard you really are mentally. After all, they can only push your body to its physical limit but when people reach there mental limit is where their true colors show.

As far a boots go, find out what you will be issued and buy them now. That way you can break them in now. I always liked and used Thorlo socks. They are pricey but worth it. Make sure you have the socks you are going to be using so you can fit your boots properly. Nothing worse than showing up and realizing your socks make your boots too tight or worse too loose.

Do your physical training now. Find out what the PT test is going to be and do that test every other day until the day you leave. I would also recommend rucking some as well to get used to how that feels. 90 days is a long time to prepare physically. And being physically strong helps keep you mentally strong. It also helps you see how it feels and reacts when you it meets or exceeds its physical limits.

Don't skimp on survival equipment, ever. Whether it be for a school or not, buy the best you can afford.

Do your best, don't give up and give 100%. Do this and you will do fine. Instructors have a knack for finding out those who don't give 100% and when they do it will be much worse. And when things seem like they are the worst they are going to get just remember what you learn may one day save your life.

Best of luck

Dolomite

I went through the SERE in NC, one thing I can say is you can't war-game it. I had friends go through the course before and after me and each class had it's differences. I second Mr.Brooks, get some comfortable boots. Take what they teach you and remember it, there won't be a time where you won't be "playing the game" so to speak. Good luck with it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest brandon_pitt
Part of the training is dealing with stressful unknown situations and making good choices. I know what you are looking for but try to see it from the other side.
I see where you're coming from. I do not expect anyone to tell me specifics, just how to train and prepare. What I understand, the "fun part" (resistance training) is classified so no one who has been through it can talk about it anyway. Just looking to prepare myself for success.
Guest brandon_pitt

Good boots. Any suggestions? Will the boots I'm issued not suffice? JwGood knife. Im looking at a strider tanto fixed blade. Thanks for the advice and your prior service.

Boots and knives are subjective. What I like may not be the best for you. Do you think you will be going in the winter? That would determine what boots I wore. but what ever I wore I would make darn sure they fit well and were broken in. If the rules are the same I believe you are only allowed to take a fixed bladed knife. Also keep in mind that you may lose it so I would not take a $400 kife out there. You will also be allowed to take a flash light. Keep it small and use a colored lens. Red is good but depending on the maps you will be using it may bleed out the contour lines. When I was instructing there I kept a green lense on my map light. Yes I lost the ability to see vegatation on the map, but I was on that course every week for three years and I knew where the vegatation was at. LOL

Sure, but why go into something blindly when others have done It before me? Knowledge is power is it not?

The material learned in SERE school is classified, and for good reason. Really it's not that bad. Just listen to what the instructors tell you during the classroom phase and apply it when you're in the field.

I went through the SERE in NC, one thing I can say is you can't war-game it. I had friends go through the course before and after me and each class had it's differences. I second Mr.Brooks, get some comfortable boots. Take what they teach you and remember it, there won't be a time where you won't be "playing the game" so to speak. Good luck with it.

That's the one I went to as well. For me the worst part was the lack of sleep.

"Boots, boots, boots, boots, boots." :D

I see where you're coming from. I do not expect anyone to tell me specifics, just how to train and prepare. What I understand, the "fun part" (resistance training) is classified so no one who has been through it can talk about it anyway. Just looking to prepare myself for success.

The resistance training is the major part, in my opinion. If you want to review some survival stuff you can pick up a copy of the SAS handbook or other good survival book. The other parts you really can't prepare for. Just go in physically and mentally strong and you'll do fine. Like the HCP course, don't over-think it beforehand and you'll be fine.

Guest brandon_pitt
Boots and knives are subjective. What I like may not be the best for you. Do you think you will be going in the winter? That would determine what boots I wore. but what ever I wore I would make darn sure they fit well and were broken in. If the rules are the same I believe you are only allowed to take a fixed bladed knife. Also keep in mind that you may lose it so I would not take a $400 kife out there. You will also be allowed to take a flash light. Keep it small and use a colored lens. Red is good but depending on the maps you will be using it may bleed out the contour lines. When I was instructing there I kept a green lense on my map light. Yes I lost the ability to see vegatation on the map, but I was on that course every week for three years and I knew where the vegatation was at. LOL
Flashlight with a green lens! See that's the stuff I would've never thought about! Thanks buck! It's looking like I'll be goin through around March, so yes air it will be snowing.
Guest NashvegasMatt
Wear comfortable boots.

They will teach you what you need to know. Just pay attention, learn, and apply it.

It won't matter, as soon as he's captured, the boots come off and the cheap flip flops and pantalooms go on.

Guest NashvegasMatt

Has anyone here actually been through the school recently? My best friend just returned. He is in the 160th out of campbell. He told me all about it. He went last winter and said it was bad, he wouldn't volunteer for a second trip if he had the option. It's a mind game. Yeah they beat you and make your living situation "uncomfortable," but that's the point.... to prepare you for reality if that ever happens. My friend came back with a busted up hand, and a bruised forearm... but I think he's glad he did it.

What unit are you in?

Guest brandon_pitt
At this point I can guarantee certain people at Fairchild WILL read this thread in the future. LOL
I'm sure I have you to thank for that Buck. I guess all we need now are the fireworks to get this party started, huh?
Guest brandon_pitt

As for the knife Buck, I'm looking at the Gerber Asek II to take with me. Does anyone know of a list somewhere of items allowed or not to be taken?

Edited by brandon_pitt

That knife would more than sufficent. You could probably go to the 336th Training Groups website and poke around till you found the list of items one is allowed to bring. But please keep in mind there is a chance you could lose it. You will use your knife for more than cutting so if you are afraid of damaging your Gerber take something else. You are rather early in the process to be worring about such things though. Before you go there you will get the info you need to report prepared to train. Again I was a Navy SERE Inst. and your school may be a little different. You were allowed to bring cammie paint, flashlight, knife, what ever boots you want, etc. As far as boots go, if your issued boots will be steel toed, take something else. Trust me on that one. LOL

I'm sure I have you to thank for that Buck. I guess all we need now are the fireworks to get this party started, huh?

What are friends for? LOL When I was in I LOVED getting any and all info I could about students. ;) Back then (96-2000) the internet was a different animal and information was a bit harder to come by. Anyway, I checked out the USN SERE site and here's the list posted for them. It has changed from when I was there.

https://www.netc.navy.mil/centers/csf/_documents/SERE_REQUIRED_AND_RECOMMENDED_ITEMS.pdf

I am going to shoot you a PM.