five-seveN USG

Guest cdsusong

Guest cdsusong

Hey, I finally got my hands on a five-seveN USG this past weekend. They have one at Bass Pro in Sevierville. It felt really nice and the functions were smooth and easy to get to. Slide release was easily released as well as mag release. The price is a little staggering though. Out the door would be pushing 1K with ammo. Surely this handgun could be bought for less? I still have yet to fire one and I am looking forward to a little trigger time with one of these babies. Has anyone had the opportunity to fire the USG? Let me know how it was.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an opportunity to "borrow" one from a friend and I must say I was impressed with function, accuracy and the lack of recoil. Groups from 20 yards were about 2". Recoil was, To me , More straight back , not the usual muzzle flip usually associated my usual 45. I really liked the 20 rd mag. My 20 year old son commented that it is a perfect zombie killer!!!

I do question the terminal ballistics of the 5.7 . It is very light and very fast.

My take on them is mixed... I shot one a bit over a year ago now, and thought it was insanely fun. The perception I got from the recoil was snappy and light... after watching some videos of the pistol in action, there is significant muzzle-rise, but it is perceived less to the shooter, I think, because it returns so rapidly. The muzzle blast is impressive, but overall the gun is very controllable, moreso than any 9mm pistol of the same weight.

I think the gun is bulky, even though it's light... and I personally don't care for the location of the safety. If I had to carry the pistol, I'd probably not bother using it. The profile and the sights and the shape of the grip were the source of a few complaints, as well.

As to the chambering... 5.7x28mm has very limited practicality for private SD purposes, even if the restricted ammo were very accessible. I'd like to see some other commercial (or specialty) ammunition manufacturers start loading this cartridge... perhaps with a FMJ 40-45gr bullet to alleviate the dismal penetration of the current offerings which tend to fragment or simply stop within 4"-8" of gel. Even the SS190 and 192 loads barely manage 10" out of the P90. But for AP usage it's an attractive solution, if needed.

FN makes firearms of excellent quality, I would have no qualms about owning one of their pistols if its capabilities met my needs. I've got my eye on the FNP-45, myself.

Its easily the most fun pistol I own. Muzzle rise gets significant with rapid fire, but OH how fast it can be shot. Lots more controllable then any 9mm I have shot and more accurate too. There are quite a few people on the FiveSeven forum that are actually on target at 100yds with it. Highly recommend one and surprisingly unlike all the other ammo prices 5.7x28mm has stayed about the same price ($20 per 50rds). Check with Coal Creek they have good prices ~$850.00 I believe. If not you can get on Gunbroker for $800-850. They are on the "too be banned" lists all the time so get one before the Obama hits office (im a realist).

EDIT: If your ever in knoxville your more then welcome to try mine.

Guest harbinger

I shot one a few weeks ago. It was fun and accurate, but man it was a dragon. Doesn't burn all the powder off prior to leaving the barrel, so there is quite a muzzle flash. I wouldn't buy one, I have other stuff on my list I'd be more interested in, but they are quite nifty.

One more thing to keep in mind, if you're a reloader you'll be in for a hunt. The one I shot threw the brass close to 30' away from where we were standing. At least they were stacked up nicely.

Guest m4coyote

I just purchased a Five Seven USG, and am very impressed with it. FN is one of the few companies to be brave and innovative enough to introduce something new and unique, as well as have a nice single action trigger and a manual safety. I am bored with all the Glock clone guns with the same old trigger.

Unfortunately, I have not shot it yet, but will get around to it soon.

I bought one just as FN was releasing them to the public. Mine came with the letter you were supposed to send in showing that you were LE or military.

Very good handgun. Quite manageable and a good penetrating round.

But it just didn't fit in with what I needed, so it found another home.

Guest cdsusong

hey, thanks for the input. I agree that this is not a carry weapon but just a paper shooter. It seems it would be fun to shoot and I would imagine my boys would like it as well. They love to shoot and we are always on top of safety. The round seems to be a little "hot" as I have heard the penetrating power is why it is on the ban list. Bass Pro sells only 2 versions of the round. One is blue tipped. What is that all about?