Knoxville Zoo posted?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mustangdave

Sorry...no Big Game Hunting allowed at the Zoo....guns at the Zoo...come on...we don't want to scare / trumatize the residents now do we?

Guest bkelm18

Bit of a gray area but not really. It does have gunbuster signs but not at the main gate. Secondly it is a park owned by the city of Knoxville. Thirdly it is within the boundaries of another city park and park carry is a no go in Knoxville.

Guest mustangdave
Wifes got out in her mind we need to eat @ a drive in that serves pizza and other Italian food. Any ideas what she has seen?

That would be Diners, Drive Inns, and Dives...if you google it and Knoxville...the location should pop right up

Guest bkelm18
Wifes got out in her mind we need to eat @ a drive in that serves pizza and other Italian food. Any ideas what she has seen?

That would be Pizza Palace on Magnolia Ave. Only about a block or so outside of Chilhowee Park.

Guest bkelm18
Forget the Zoo, if you are on Magnolia Ave. you better be carrying haha

Magnolia during the day isn't too bad. There are a lot of sketchy people around for sure. Just don't stray from the main road, otherwise you will be getting into areas that you'll need a gun and plenty of ammo.

Guest President Fernatt
Magnolia during the day isn't too bad. There are a lot of sketchy people around for sure. Just don't stray from the main road, otherwise you will be getting into areas that you'll need a gun and plenty of ammo.

This is true, but my luck I will be the target of some homeless guy robbing me to get his dope fix lol you are right about Magnolia during the day though...there are a couple good food spots down there too. Night time is a whole different story :screwy: Heck, I don't even like being somewhere as tame as the Old City at night lol

Guest 270win

Property must be posted in accordance with Tennessee law. There are specifics. Honestly a lot of the specifics are complicated and kind of gray. In my book, 90% of property is probably not posted in accordance with the law. If not within the law, then your carrying is legal. Gray laws generally don't seem to hold up well in court. Talk to a good lawyer about this kind of stuff and know a good one. They can help you if you get in a bind. Carrying concealed well can keep you out of a bind with signs high and low that can't be seen (again not legal in my book) and different interpretations and ideas. Get to know a seasoned lawyer before you need one. Their field is very valuable and can help you should some silly prosecutor in that one in a million chance actually try to charge you with that 500 dollar sign fine.

Guest bkelm18
Property must be posted in accordance with Tennessee law. There are specifics. Honestly a lot of the specifics are complicated and kind of gray. In my book, 90% of property is probably not posted in accordance with the law. If not within the law, then your carrying is legal. Gray laws generally don't seem to hold up well in court. Talk to a good lawyer about this kind of stuff and know a good one. They can help you if you get in a bind. Carrying concealed well can keep you out of a bind with signs high and low that can't be seen (again not legal in my book) and different interpretations and ideas. Get to know a seasoned lawyer before you need one. Their field is very valuable and can help you should some silly prosecutor in that one in a million chance actually try to charge you with that 500 dollar sign fine.

It is properly posted. It's a city park, within a city park, and according to city law, no signs are required since Knoxville's "no guns in parks" law predates 1985 and there was a grandfather clause basically in the new parks law.

Edited by bkelm18
Guest 270win

Someone coming from out of state/out of area would have no idea that zoo or park is posted properly in accordance with state law because people are not expected to look up every location on the internet they go to for city ordinances. If the signs aren't up in conformance with 39-17-1311 for parks then someone cannot be charged with an A Misdemeanor state charge. Concealing goes a long way to avoid problems like this ordinance deal that may be unknown to people or vague/gray or not go along with state law.

Guest bkelm18
Someone coming from out of state/out of area would have no idea that zoo or park is posted properly in accordance with state law because people are not expected to look up every location on the internet they go to for city ordinances. If the signs aren't up in conformance with 39-17-1311 for parks then someone cannot be charged with an A Misdemeanor state charge. Concealing goes a long way to avoid problems like this ordinance deal that may be unknown to people or vague/gray or not go along with state law.

Knoxville is not required to post in accordance with 39-17-1311. As I said, their law was grandfathered in (39-17-1314) thus does not have to follow the guidelines of the state law. So at the very least, they'd be breaking city code and probably state law depending on how the court interprets it. Ignorance of the law is not a valid reason to break the law.

Edited by bkelm18
.... If the signs aren't up in conformance with 39-17-1311 for parks then someone cannot be charged with an A Misdemeanor state charge....

1. The TN AG is on line two...he has opined that you may be charged for park carry violation even if the park is not properly posted.

2. In this case however, it is a city ordinance you'd be breaking, $50 fine and/or 30 days jail.

3. Have you ever heard the saying, "Ignorance of the law is no excuse"? It's more than just a saying.

- OS

We went to the zoo this weekend and had a good time. The cloudy and cool (for mid-July) weather was nice and most of the animals were out. There are several new enclosures under construction. My 3 yr old loved the kiddie area.

I didn't see any postings, but as had already been made clear, there don't have to be any.

Since Knoxville Parks are off-limits per pre-1986 city ordnance....they do not have to post per 39-17-1311, but it is also correct that carry there is not a violation of 39-17-1311, it is a violation of a city ordnance.

Also, remember, an AG opinion is just that...an opinion. He's reasoning behind about being able to be charged even if a park isn't posted is based on a case where a person was convicted or carry on school property even though the school didn't have the sign required by law. But my argument is, schools are off-limits by law already. So even though a sign is supposed to be posted, even if it isn't they are still off-limits. But parks are legal by default and are only off-limits if the elements of 39-17-1311 are met, one of which is posting signs..... At least that is my "opinion"...lol

Guest 270win

Yes, someone not aware of this city ordinance could not be charged with the Class A misdemeanor state violation without the proper signs in compliance with 39-17-1311. Germantown, Tennessee has these signs up everywhere at the Germantown city parks.

A city ordinance violation (similar to a parking ticket) is a big difference from a state criminal Class A Misdemeanor charge. People from out of town/out of state can no way be aware (and it is unreasonable to expect) of every town in TN that has a city ordinance parking ticket fine for carrying a park, but at least it is not a state A Misdemeanor criminal charge like that under 39-17-1311. Concealing avoids someone unknowingly violating some silly city ordinance. There are lots of city ordinances on the books in every town that are never enforced or out dated.

...A city ordinance violation (similar to a parking ticket) is a big difference from a state criminal Class A Misdemeanor charge....

You call a possible month in jail similar to a parking ticket?

It is, btw, called a misdemeanor charge in city code, no idea if it's passed along to the state database to go on permanent record or whatever.

Unlike Knoxville's duplicate wording of the Kwik/Bellmeade Army/Navy pistol ordinance, the parks one was dealt with only about a year and a half ago by City Council, so it's not in the same archaic class. But again, we've found no one charged with it yet. There were a couple of guys who got caught with guns (because one fired a shot) on a greenway some time back, but never heard exact charges or outcome.

- OS

hmmm im sort of confused as to why everyone is even arguing/debating if they have to post blah blah blah.

To simplify things, The Knoxville Zoo is is indeed posted properly. The main entrance to the "City Park" is not, as it is not required. But I do believe most people will drive in and not walk in. So when you get to your parking spot slab the gat in the glove box. All is well

I'm a season pass holder at the zoo and go several times a year. Never once had to pull my gun on a zebra. I think its safe to say you'll be ok without it for a few hours.

The neighborhood is definitely shady though.

Guest bkelm18
hmmm im sort of confused as to why everyone is even arguing/debating if they have to post blah blah blah.

To simplify things, The Knoxville Zoo is is indeed posted properly. The main entrance to the "City Park" is not, as it is not required. But I do believe most people will drive in and not walk in. So when you get to your parking spot slab the gat in the glove box. All is well

I'm a season pass holder at the zoo and go several times a year. Never once had to pull my gun on a zebra. I think its safe to say you'll be ok without it for a few hours.

The neighborhood is definitely shady though.

Some people just like to argue. :D Thanks for supporting the zoo with your season passes. It enables me to have a paycheck. :hat: The surrounding area is definitely shady and I've kept my gun in my truck a few times I actually brought it to work and I was always hesitant it would get broken into and stolen.