Hand Drill Fire starting - Choosing wood in TN

I'm looking for some tips on fire starting using the old school hand drill method. Specifically, what would be the best wood to use in our Tn location. My first thoughts are dried cedar or poplar for the board. Possibly a straight piece of cedar for the drill, but again, I'm not sure on the stick part.

Any experience or ideas greatly appreciated :)

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin Team

As a general rule you want a harder piece of wood for the drill, and a softer wood for your fireboard.

Per the authoritative source on the matter, the ninth edition of The Boy Scout Handbook, in Tennessee the best woods for the fireboard are elm, willow root, basswood, sycamore, cottonwood, poplar, soft maple and white pine.

• Admin Team

Oh, and by the way, this isn't a practice makes perfect skill that you can kluge your way through.

It's a practice or you'll die in the woods tired with blisters on your hands skill.

Let me know if you need some help.

Any experience or ideas greatly appreciated

These don’t grow on trees native to Tennessee, but you will sometimes see them lying around here. They will start a fire like mad. If you need some ask around.

Matches.jpg

Hand drilling is a difficult task to master, but it's not a bad skill to pick up! I think McGyver hit the nail on the head with his post.

In addition, I usually carry a fire kit with me in the woods. It contains some PJCBs, some jute twine, fat wood and some dryer lint and most important of all one of two bic lighters. I'm going to add a mini altoids tin for making char cloth and some denim for the actual char cloth. I don't usually carry matches anymore. I do EDC a zippo lighter now. That's not for lighting cigs. I carry it for just in case.

These don’t grow on trees native to Tennessee, but you will sometimes see them lying around here. They will start a fire like mad. If you need some ask around.Matches.jpg
LOL I completely agree with you. Fire steel and fire proof matches alOng with dryer lent and vasoline soaked cotton balls accompany me pretty much every time I venture out of the backyard. However, as a recreationa skilll, and from a minimalistic standpoint. It's a skill I would like to say I have accomplished. :)
Guest Lester Weevils

At the level of primitiveness ya'll are discussing-- Is the hand drill a simple stick you rotate between your palms? Or is it a real woodworking hand drill made out of good ole steel, chucked up with a stick?

Maybe it would be easier with an actual steel hand drill on hand? Dunno. Just curious.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest robinsonfam1

quick tinder ideas ( i know im late in this thread, work work work)

cotton balls soaked in petroleum jelly, store in film cannister etc. one ball to start fire

fritos, yes the chips

pocket lint

dryer lint

just some easy to carry, lightwieght, easy to find items.

Bow drills work, jeesh youll be worn out! keep magnesium fire sticks on a key chain, gear bags BOB, etc. super cheap, work when wet too.

The hand drill is by far the hardest skill to master, but I see a def advantage to knowing it. No one wants to be stranded without matches, lighters, etc. However, what if that was the hand you were dealt? Frantically rubbing two sticks together to build a fire doesn't sound appealing to me, but if one had a general idea of the technique I'm sure the rubbing would be less frantic and more skilled. Use 1 hard wood and 1 soft wood. Practice makes perfect.