Sporting clays

I just got home from my first experience doing this. I'm HOOKED!

I come from a few years of pistol and rifle shooting, and only having a shotgun for HD. I never knew I could have SO MUCH fun with a shotgun. holy cow. I bought the experience on groupon a few months ago and finally got around to using it. The range was very well laid out (I thought - it being my first time, it might not have been, but there seemed to be quite a bit of variety and everything was in nice maintained order). I promise this isn't an advert - as it is starting to sound like one to me.

I just am so jazzed about how much fun I had. I went with a buddy of mine who had also never been before and we got a quick instructional from the guy running the place, used a rental gun and spent the morning/afternoon blasting away clays. I only hit 50 out of 100 birds thrown (no pairs - I was still getting the hang of tracking) but I feel like I did fairly well. I'm worried now though cause I have a feeling I'm gonna be spending a lot more money doing this sport...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest WyattEarp

it's a fun but expensive hobby. 2-4 boxes of shells each time you go plus range use fee's. I shot with an 870 Express Pump 12 gauge when I was in high school for our trap team but for shooting with a $230 shotgun it did alright. best I hit was 21/25 in a round, and 83/100 at State. But I usually averaged 17/25 per round.

Wish I'd have had a little bit more money to get a competition over/under shotgun, my results might have been a little better. The hardest part for me was remember to keep following through, I had a tendency to follow the clay pigeon and then stop and pull the trigger instead of leading it and pulling the trigger. but it's all mental. practice and you'll get good at it.

Guest President Fernatt

You're right, Clays are a TON of fun! I use a Remington 870 Express Super Magnum and even though it isn't a very expensive shotgun...it's really enjoyable. You don't have to get a super expensive gun in order to shoot pottery out of the sky lol just get a good lil shotgun and go at it. I usually only miss one or two out of 50 so it really doesn't have a great deal to do with whether or not it is a competition shotgun...really just depends on how much you practice the follow through as the guy above said.

Shotgun sports are hard to beat for a fun factor. My preferences are skeet and five-stand.

My only caution would be to not get too wrapped up in what others are shooting. I have used $30,000 O/Us and a $200 Rem 870 Express. If you spend a couple hundred on the 870 to get it fitted properly, it will break as many clays as the most expensive double gun (if you do your part).

Thanks for your recommendations and encouragement. I rented the ranges benelli auto - it was a pretty nice gun for a rental. I went to Benton Sporting Clays in Benton, TN (owned by the guy that owns benton shooters supply) I believe the range is in his backyard...

Shotgun sports are hard to beat for a fun factor. My preferences are skeet and five-stand.

My only caution would be to not get too wrapped up in what others are shooting. I have used $30,000 O/Us and a $200 Rem 870 Express. If you spend a couple hundred on the 870 to get it fitted properly, it will break as many clays as the most expensive double gun (if you do your part).

Amen....it is the shooter more than it is the gun. Commandos can blast away all day long at paper and get away with being smug at the range. Can't pull that on the clays pads. It is pretty obvious to everyone pretty quick if one is all talk.