Spirit of Steel knife show coming to Knoxville again.

The Knives Illustrated Spirit of Steel Show is going to be at the Downtown Knoxville Marriott Aug. 5 and 6. Should be a nice show. I'm hoping it's a little bigger each year so we can keep a good dedicated knife show in town. I hope Graham knives and Blind Horse show back up. Kim Breed and Gary Wheeler are going to come and if Walter Brend is feeling well enough he'll be there.

Ethan Becker and I will be manning the Knife Rights booth at the show so drop by and say hello (and join up:D).

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got by the show today, and glad I went. Though like many, I've seen lots of knives at all the gun shows I frequent, but I think this was actually the first dedicated knife show I've ever been to -- I know it wasn't anything like BLADE or something, but still impressed the hey outta me.

Sooo many gorgeous handmade knives; the wonder is that I actually didn't buy anything, though I almost bit on a neck knife or two as that seems to have become my particular area of accidental eclectic "collecting" (read, neurosis).

Highlights included meeting hso, he was manning the Knife Rights booth, and I did join, something I've sorta been meaning to do for some time. Oh, so I did get one knife -- membership included a commemorative razor blade folder ala one of the many types that the big hissy fit in NYC is about, wherein the DA there even went so far as to extort money in lieu of prosecution to actual retail stores, like Home Depot, for c'sakes. Though I had sort of read here and there about all that, I didn't understand just how low down and dirty all that is. I see at as pretty much on same level as gun rights. If interested, you can catch up here:

Knife Rights - Knife Rights Sues New York City

Also had a nice long chat with the guys at the Ka-bar/Becker booth, and got to meet Ethan Becker, on his birthday, no less. I think Case and CKRT were the only other two big national companies there, as it was mostly regional independent makers, although I spoke with one all the way from California and one from Michigan.

All the makers/vendors were just super amiable guys and I spent about 3 hours there chatting, fondling, ogling.

Last booth in the back was a nice feller who was letting go of some of his terrific collection of old Marble knives and gear, but I didn't have a spare $15K for an early Marbles bone hunter with rare sheath, etc.; I think he's gonna have to go through Christie's or Sotheby's or somewhere to turn that impressive collection.

Sadly, the show doesn't run tomorrow, so is this prompts you to go, sorry dudes.

- OS

Guest Scramasax

Small show this year but good selection of customs. Got to talk to old friends that I haven't seen in quite a few years. Picked up another Spartan and two customs John Smith and Gary Wheeler.

Cheers,

ts

Guest Bluemax

Wow. seriously hate I missed this show. I made a couple of blades oughta leaf springs years ago but have toyed with the idea of a homeaid forge Heard ther was a class at Smoky Mtn Knife Works available