Sportsman's Guide Question - 5.56 Ammo

I just received a catalog in the mail from Sportsman's Guide; they are offering 420 rounds of 62 gr 5.56x45mm M855 Ammo with ammo can for $169.95. This is supposed to be American made U.S. Govt overrun.

It sounds like a pretty good deal, especially considering the ammo can, however, I've never purchased anything from them before...has any of you bought from them before and if so, any problems, concerns, etc.

Thanks!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lester Weevils

I used to buy from SG more than lately. Never had a problem with anything they shipped.

I got out of the habit buying ammo from them a couple of years ago when any ammo they would advertise would get back-ordered immediately if you didn't buy within a day of the ad coming out. But it wasn't their fault that demand was so much higher than supply at that time.

Hopefully it doesn't sell out so quick nowadays.

I used to buy from SG more than lately. Never had a problem with anything they shipped.

I got out of the habit buying ammo from them a couple of years ago when any ammo they would advertise would get back-ordered immediately if you didn't buy within a day of the ad coming out. But it wasn't their fault that demand was so much higher than supply at that time.

Hopefully it doesn't sell out so quick nowadays.

Rats! Wanted some of their cheapo Eley 22 lr.....ordering today when I got their secret customer e-mail: backordered until Aug 22. Oh well.....no rush....the 10/22 will just have to wait to see if he can eat it!

I've bought more various stuff from Sportsman's Guide in the last couple years than anywhere else.

If you spend say a couple hundred or more a year, the Buyer's Club thing is well worth it in overall lower savings, plus you get two $10 coupons that aren't dependent on buying $99 worth like the regular ones.

They're also been very good about back ordered stuff, don't charge your cc till it ships, and never have gouged by adding extra shipping for the back ordered items. Also, the two returns I needed to do was painless. One was their fault so they paid the return shipping, one was mine, so I paid it.

The only thing that irks me is that they won't send a +4" knife to TN, but will send you a collapsible baton. ;)

- OS

Guest Lester Weevils

Dunno if SG still sells em, but for at least 8 or 10 years they have sold nylon cargo pants with the zip-off leg bottoms (convert the pants to shorts) about 1/3 or less the price that yuppie outdoor stores sell em. Used to be below $20 apiece.

Those pants are tough as nails for such a cheap price and nylon is very cool compared to most other fabrics for summer use. Velcro and zipper closures, not the buttons or snaps which are so annoying on some cargo pants.

Dunno if SG still sells em, but for at least 8 or 10 years they have sold nylon cargo pants with the zip-off leg bottoms (convert the pants to shorts) about 1/3 or less the price that yuppie outdoor stores sell em. Used to be below $20 apiece.

Those pants are tough as nails for such a cheap price and nylon is very cool compared to most other fabrics for summer use. Velcro and zipper closures, not the buttons or snaps which are so annoying on some cargo pants.

193883_ts.JPG?cell=300,300&cvt=jpeg

30 Inseam Guide Gear Advantage Zip - Off Pants, Men's Clothing, Guide Gear at Sportsman's Guide

Very limited sizes right now. All their items come and go, big turnover.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest Lester Weevils

Hi OS

Yep, thats them.

Main reason haven't bought any lately is because I've got a drawer full bought one at a time over the years. As best can recall have only worn out one pair of the nylon pants, but most are paint and grease-stained too much to avoid embarrasing the wife if I wear em going out anywhere with her. A tidy person could keep clothes looking nicer.

Price has crept a few dollars, but the yuppie outdoors catalogs charge $80+ for the same thing. Have read reviews of the yuppie nylon pants falling apart too quick which I haven't noticed with the SG ones.

SG also seems as good a place as any to get footwear if one happens to own 4E feets. :)

They sell a Kakadu aussie brand. This aussie (made in china) kakadu shirt is pretty nice. Well made, durable, and heavy enough fabric to function as a light coat in early fall or late winter--

Kakadu Toorak Shirt, Men's Clothing, Kakadu at Sportsman's Guide

112898m2_ts.JPG?cell=300,300&cvt=jpeg

+1 Sportsman's Guide!

With buyer's club and flat rate shipping, ammo prices are competitive. I've bought various handgun ammo as well as surplus 8mm Mauser and 7.62x54r, all at or near best prices at the time. On other merchandise, quality can be hit or miss, especially on milsurp stuff, but I am well satisfied with their Guide Gear house brand. My one return (of an item shipped from a third party distributor) was handled promptly.

I think Buyer's Club has 'saved' me about $250 so far. Almost as bad as a C&R license. And no, I'm not being compensated for the free publicity.