Thoughts on Kel-TeK 32

Guest nancy

Guest nancy

My husband is looking for a pocket pistol, he's been wearing a 38 special hammerless and my Glock 26. He is looking for something a bit smaller, that perhaps he could put in his pocket. He has seen the Kel-Tek 32 but has not tried one yet. He has tried the Kel-Tek 380 but he would like something with less recoil.

Nancy

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nancy, I have never owned a Kel-Tec, but I have a little pocket pistol that I love. It's a North American Arms .22 mag, 5-shot mini-revolver, SAO. It's tiny! If you just want a little pocket gun, this one is great. I don't think it's even as big as a derringer, and it has 5 shots! I carried it many years ago before I had a permit :( I still sometimes carry it as a backup. I always loaded the first shot or two with "snake shot" bullets, then the rest with hollow points. Those snake shots are great for snakes as well as self defense......just spray someone in the face with one or two of those and I'd say they'd run......and if not, you can slow them down enough to follow up with the hollow points :(

Guest nancy

I am very familiar with using snake shot(we call it rat shot....), your last sentence gave us a good laugh. I still have not carried a pistol "in public", tho I am getting ready. I have carried my .22 revolver around our property quite a bit, and dispatched our share of possums, and snakes who decided they liked my lily patch next to our lake. That is not fun when you are down on your knees weeding and there lies a lovely water snake. And the water snakes we've had here at times could be aggressive, we had no quilt feelings about dispatching them. Black snakes are another story, we go out of our way to tell them they are welcome, even the dogs no longer fool with them.

With a pocket pistol, do you always put it in your pocket? Ever in a holster? I still like the idea of a belly/fanny pack. I hope that if I am ever in a situation that I would need to defend myself, I would have a few seconds to get my wits together to make sure I should be getting my pistol out.

Guest nancy

Another question. Do you find that a pistol can be too small, just too hard to hold onto? Some guns I have looked at seem just too small.

Another question. Do you find that a pistol can be too small, just too hard to hold onto? Some guns I have looked at seem just too small.

The little NA Arms pistol I have is a little bit hard to hold onto.....you definitely have to have a firm hold on the grip. They do make a longer grip for it that folds up into the gun itself.......you might like that on it. It's recoil really isn't too bad.....but it tends to want to slide up out of your hand when you shoot it if your not holding very firmly.

Also.....you can carry the "pocket pistols" however you want really. That Na Arms pistol works good just in your pocket for several reasons.......it's tiny, its stainless steel so perspiration wont affect it, and it's SAO (single action only) so there's no danger of it going off accidentally since you have to cock the hammer to shoot.

Edited by PackinMama
Guest jaypee

Nancy,

To answer your question, yes, there are pistols that are just too small for certain individuals, and they can be very unsafe in that person's hands. If you find yourself having a tough time hanging onto the gun, serious consequences will soon follow.......the trigger will bite your trigger finger in recoil, the slide may nip the web of your hand, and if it has an exposed hammer, you will probably get a bad case of "hammer bite" where the hammer catches the web of your hand between it and the frame. You will not shoot such a gun accurately and it can even get turned whopperjawed in your hand and you can shoot yourself with it. Worst of all, I guarantee you that you will eventually drop it, and when it hits the deck it could very well fire, with all the nasty consequences that go with an unaimed bullet. So find one that fits your hand well enough that maintaining a good grip is never a problem. A gun that conceals well but cannot be properly controlled in the drawing or firing process is a dangerous gun that you want no part of. Shootability and control must always outweigh concealability for safety's sake.

JayPee

PS - I carried full size 1911 .45's and Browning Hi Powers off duty for 28 years and my present carry pistol is a big honkin' CZ 75 .40 caliber. My point is that you can always find a way to conceal a pistol, but if it won't fit your hand and you shoot yourself with it, concealing it doesn't do much good. So put shootability and safety first, then find a way to conceal it. Best wishes.

Edited by jaypee
add information

I tried a NAA 22 lr pistol for a little while after reading about a construction guy using one in Florida after a hurricane to protect himself from various people who shouldn't be there. From that I went to the Beretta Tomcat, then the Kel-Tec P32 and finally the P3AT.

None are horrible choices and each has its advantages. I like the 380 because of it's extra punch. It is a bit snappier than the .32 but it isn't a range target pistol. I'm willing to give up comfort for the power.

Guest nancy

I checked the DeSantis Gunnysack, I believe I could live with that. I also liked the looks of the Gun Caddie, which is hooked to the belt, but this could probably not carry a wallet also in it.

I hated my P32. It was ammo sensitive, broke twice, and I couldnt hit anything more than about 8ft out.

It seems people either get good ones and love them or bad ones and hate them.

Personally I think an old Smith top break in .32s&w short would beat it.

Guest CMSTA

I have a P3AT. It is a little harsh on my hands when I have shot it and my hands are big. I haven't shot it much, but it has functioned fine when I have. It is very concealable and serves me well. I never plan to target shoot with it, but for it's purpose, I like it.

Guest nosnos

I have heard of others who have had ammo issues with the p32. Something about the back of the casing getting stuck on the casing of the next bullet in the magazine. Because of the way the 32 round is or something. Forgive my ignorance in explaining it. Is this what you're reffering to? I think I'll be buying either the 32 or the 380 within the next month.

Guest nj.piney

nosnos, its called rimlock you only get it with short rounds such as some hollow points. most people who carry the p32 load the first round a hollow point and the rest ball. by checking the ammunition length you can eliminate rimlock.i carry a gold dot in the chamber and load the mag. with pmc 71 grain ball. no problems. i carry it in my front pocket with a belt clip. front pocket always empty except for the 32

Edited by nj.piney
Guest kdgreen23

My P32 has been at Kel-Tec in Florida for a month and a half waiting on a

new hammerspring. It broke and fell out of the bottom of the mag

chamber. There customer service is not great. There standard turn around

time answer is "6-8 weeks" then when thats over its "1-2 more weeks"

and they can't tell you ANYTHING about your gun other than "yes we have it"

I have a PF-9 now that I carry got a good deal from the Rabbi and if it breaks

I will order the parts and fix myself or throw it in the trashcan.:D

Guest DrBoomBoom

I read a fix for P32 rimlock, it's a way to insert a wire in the magazine that prevents it. You could probably find it with a search. I carry a Taurus 905 .9mm snub with moonclips that I got from The Rabbi. and carry in a Mika pocket holster (Mr. Mika is an LEO who makes holsters. Each is made to order for the gun. Mine is excellent.) When driving, the seatbelt makes a right hand pocket draw rather difficult, so If I'm going to be driving in town or late at night, I'll add my Tomcat (also from The Rabbi) in a Don Hume J.I.T. belt holster, that I wear crossdraw. I've tried the P32, but prefer the Tomcat. Just my opinion, of course, lots of folks love the P32.

My P32 has been at Kel-Tec in Florida for a month and a half waiting on a

new hammerspring. It broke and fell out of the bottom of the mag

chamber. There customer service is not great.

That's really unusual. Normally we hear of the great customer service at K-T. Anything unusual about when it happened?

I have p32 for when my xd9's not welcome.Its not that accurate past a few feet,but other then that it does fine.

kdgreen23 That sparked me to look at my p32 manual on the warranty it has.All it says is they will fix it within a reasonable time.Sooo...what does that mean?6 mths,a year,5 yrs? Mars,you know this one?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kdgreen23

To answer all your questions:

Gun has been at Kel-tec since 2-5-08 signed for at 10 am.

Today is 3-27-08 and talked to them again. He said and I quote:

"Mr Green we have not yet got to your gun. I know we have reached

the 8 week turnaround time and I am sorry. We are experiencing

growing pains right now. I will have to tell you it is possibly going to

be 2 more weeks untill we return your p32 to you."

To which I responded:

"Sir I know you are just doing your job. But that answer is unacceptable

and if it was my only personal protection weapon I would be even more

upset. Just so you know, I have traded my PF-9 in and the person who

bought it has starting having problems with it and I am sure you will

see it to. I will NEVER purchase another item with your company's name

on it and will tell everyone I can about this experience. Thank you and