Concealed carry permit in Knoxville?

Guest Charlesdht

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Boomhower
What's the cheapest place to get your Concealed Carry Class in or near Knoxville.

You've already limited yourself with this statement. Surly your life and the ability to self defend it isn't just worth a couple of bucks?

But to answer your question, the cheapest around Knoxville that I've seen advertised is usually around $80. You can go outside of Knoxville and find classes a little cheaper, but I would look at reputation long before the price. From things I've read on line, there are some instructor's out there that either lack the knowledge or the aptitude teach the HCP class. Just a little bit of the wrong information and you could see yourself looking down the wrong end of a one way trip.

Best of luck in your pursuit to become a HCP holder.

Guest GLOCKGUY
You've already limited yourself with this statement. Surly your life and the ability to self defend it isn't just worth a couple of bucks?

But to answer your question, the cheapest around Knoxville that I've seen advertised is usually around $80. You can go outside of Knoxville and find classes a little cheaper, but I would look at reputation long before the price. From things I've read on line, there are some instructor's out there that either lack the knowledge or the aptitude teach the HCP class. Just a little bit of the wrong information and you could see yourself looking down the wrong end of a one way trip.

Best of luck in your pursuit to become a HCP holder.

i agree i did mine here in Dayton it was $50.00 and it took about 6 hours. but the guy told me i could not carry in a church and did not go over no handgun signs. i left knowing no more then i did before i went in there but i did get the certificate. i wish i would of went to a better class it would of saved me alot of reading

Guest Boomhower

I prefer not to comment on my class. I payed $50 as well, and received a kindergarten education in TN handgun carry laws. I had to learn it all on my own. Not saying that the class is the teach all, learn all of TN gun laws. There is still plenty to be learned afterwards to further your knowledge base on the subject......Many thanks, from this cheap bum, to the knowledge base of this board. And many thanks to Phantom6 for putting up with all of my questions. (The person I wish I would have found to begin with.)

Guest dotsun

Yep, I wish I had taken mine from Phantom6. My class was a joke, but it was CHEAP. As most things in life, you get what you pay for.

I agree with everyonne that going CHEAP is not the route to take in this matter.

You would have been better asking who was the best to take the class from. With that question you would have recieved a couple of good answers.

Save up a little extra cash and go to a "real" class. That extra $30-$40 bucks you cough up now, could save you massive amounts of money, legal problems, or even a life in the future.

Guest REDDOG79

I took my HCP class from Phantom and it was excellent. I highly recommend his classes. His website is http://www.firearmsclasses.com :);)

It was a great class I even got to shoot the instructor's Seecamp 32 and now I need to find the money to get me one in 380

I hope to go back and take some of the Personal Protection in the home and outside the home classes as soon as I am not working 7 days a week

Kirby

Guest Boomhower

Charles.....There are other places to take the class, but I can't recommend any of them. I know a few guys on here that have taken the class from a few different local places, but none of them have come forth with that information. Maybe their just not reading this thread. :eek:....I've seen people leave business cards at gun shops around Knoxville. You could call a few and see if they recommend any......But I've already stated where I would go.

Just a few to get you started:

Austin TN Firearms school

Knox county sheriff's department

Coal Creek Armory

Guest david_g17

I took mine at Coal Creek; can't remember what they charge, but they have an indoor range which is nice if it rains the day you take the class.

I know they aren't the cheapest in town. If you (or anyone reading this) happen to go to a gun show, I've seen some dealers advertise classes that were in the 45-50 dollar range.

I think Austin's charges $115 but that includes the NRA basic pistol course.

Knox County Sherrif Regional Training Center charged $85, and you shoot using their range out by the county jail. It is run by a Sgt. Lett who does gun training for newby county LEOs

I took a cheap class... but that was before I knew that the standard material required by the State is a joke, as is the 'qualification'. A class which consists of only those things is worthless except for the certificate with which to carry on the process.

Guest BigBoostDSM

I took mine at Coal Creek (I40 & Lovell). 85 bucks total.

Provide your own gun, or rent. Ammo is not supplied.

It was an OK class, but I didn't learn anything that I wasn't already aware of from doing so much reading for months before hand. I didn't take the class as a what to do if I'm attacked kind of thing, I took it simply to meet the requirements that the state set forth to acquire a permit.

I'm going to be heading to some REAL training sometime at the end of this summer.

Guest rj8806

I took my class in Vonore at Farnsworth. The instructor was from Blount County, Dave something and was very knowledgeable. The course was $60 and lasted about 8 hours. He went over every little detail you can imagine including proper cleaning techniques in case you've never owned a fire arm before. I would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone. Don't forget about the $115 you have to pay at the DMV to file the paperwork and LONG wait to actually recieve the permit.

Richard

Guest TargetShooter84

I got mine at Pellissippi State Tech. Comm. College, it was taught by a sheriff deputy, it was pretty good class and it wasnt too expensive...I paid 50 for it and it was certainly worth it because I learned alot, and not just the permit requirements, he taught us some more things out of the book also too. I'd say try to get it at PSTCC if you can or if thats not possible, get Phantom.

At the price of ammo today $80 isn't a lot but it can buy you some.

Kingston police give it for free and only ask for a donation. I gave $20 and that seemed like a lot more than what others gave.

It isn't easy to get in to so make plans in advance.