Sister-in-law purse stolen in Wal-Mart ( Halls, Tn )

Guest Victor9er

This...

This. The store will gladly trade a couple hundred dollars in merchandise for not having to use their attorneys. There have been plenty of lawsuits filed and won by thieves who were injured when tackled in the parking lot. So... steal a $200 saw, get banged up when they tackle you outside the store, sue, and cash a $200,000 check. Winner!

You have to remember.... we have a legal system, not a justice system.

And this...

If I'm just a cashier or stock-boy or whatever, I'm not chasing down anyone. It's not my property and I'm not risking my life over it. If the management wants to do something about it, they know their options and it doesn't include a cashier being stabbed, beaten, run over, etc. to stop a shoplifter.

Is why "most" Wal-Marts don't want their people chasing shoplifters outside the store. Some still do anyway, but you have to remember also that the theft prevention people that they hire are not LEOs or even trained security guards either.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest WyattEarp
My Sister -in-Law had her purse stolen in the Halls, Tn Wal-Mart tonight.

Luckily she chased the woman down an took here purse back.

It was the third time today the woman has done this, but thanks to Wal-Mart

and their cheesy security they will not purse anyone out the doors.

So all you have to do is GRAB and RUN and once out the door you're free.

Basically it happened like this....

Woman sees Sister-in-Law with child in shopping cart.

Woman grabs purse and runs, thinking the a woman with

a child will be to slow to chase her pushing the cart with the kid in it.

And of course you can't just leave your kid alone in the cart while you chase.

So if some one steals something from you in Wal-Mart

All I know to do is beat the piss out of them so they can't leave? :clap:

Maybe then they can do something about it.

All be warned - This woman is still on the loose and most likely will attempt this again.

Keep a close watch on your stuff.

why didn't your sister in law follow the lady and get her license plate and call the cops? surely she has a camera phone like every other American. glad she got her purse back though.

why didn't your sister in law follow the lady and get her license plate and call the cops? surely she has a camera phone like every other American. glad she got her purse back though.

All I have is a prepaid wallmart phone. Its $7 a month IIRC (technically you have to put 15 or 20 $ on it every 3 months or it dies). It cannot take pictures, all it can do is make phone calls really. Guess I am not like all the other americans who pay $50 a month for a phone, in this one instance, I would have been screwed if I wanted a picture (unless a sight picture counts...).

As for the sex offender database, a ton of not too major crimes get people on that for life. Several people have gotten naked at the wrong place or time and been put on it (I think if a kid happens to see you nekkid, you are now a sex offender) as have a number of others for fairly minor behavior. Its next to worthless when it lumps a drunken streaker with a rapist.

Guest bkelm18
All I have is a prepaid wallmart phone. Its $7 a month IIRC (technically you have to put 15 or 20 $ on it every 3 months or it dies). It cannot take pictures, all it can do is make phone calls really. Guess I am not like all the other americans who pay $50 a month for a phone, in this one instance, I would have been screwed if I wanted a picture (unless a sight picture counts...).

Uh excuse me... I pay $100 a month for a phone thank you very much. :)

Guest bkelm18
Wow, for that a hot chick better deliver your text messages telegram style... Not judging, just sayin.

That's about standard for a smart phone, give or take depending on the carrier.

Guest WyattEarp

As for the sex offender database, a ton of not too major crimes get people on that for life. Several people have gotten naked at the wrong place or time and been put on it (I think if a kid happens to see you nekkid, you are now a sex offender) as have a number of others for fairly minor behavior. Its next to worthless when it lumps a drunken streaker with a rapist.

damn, if people are paying $50 a month for camera phones and schnoz, i'm getting taken to the cleaners. my bill is $137 a month, lol.

Coming in late in the thread and haven't read every post but I would like to clarify one thing, when I worked at walmart I was told we were not allowed to confront shoplifters or chase them down for fear of injury not to the thief but to employes and shoppers, I can't blame walmart for this policy I mean I know we all want to tackle a thief to the ground but what if he say pulls a knife? Most people carry a knife and though he may not have considered using it when he was simply stealing in secret he may consider using it when he's tackled to the ground and the adrenalin starts flowing. I know several of our shoplifters had knives when they were caught, not a big 8 inch buck but a pocket knife like most people carry, one guy was legally conceal carrying a handgun but he never drew it when caught and laid it down and backed away when he knew he was caught.

My point is this, though when I worked there I hated seeing people steal I would never have chased them down, I've been stabbed before and saving a big store like walmart a hundred bucks is not worth it and I don't think I could live with myself if I got someone else hurt while I tried to be a hero, so at the end of the day it comes down to this, that womans purse is not something I will risk my life for, one last thing, my manager once told me he would love to beat the crap out of a shop lifter or thief out in the parking lot but he knows he will loose his job.

I worked for a crazy burnd out ret. Army drill sergeant as one of my first retail mgrs when I was workin LP in the store. He routinely said wild stuff. Initial interview " you think u can do this? You aren't real big(inch taller than him). Well I'll give anyone a chance I guess". "Don't get caught up helpin these old people find stuff, they work in teams". We had a collection of steel pipes, bats, handcuffs, etc. We kept a 3ring with over 100+ polaroids of shoplifters we detained. They really did work in teams hah. I did have knives pulled on me several times. One of the cashiers hadto call an ambulance after some shoplifter tripped right outside & hit a pillar, broke his arm & suffered a concussion. Fortunately, bossman helped the guy get upright waitin for the ED drivers. If you've got to work there day in & day out you will be marked as a sheep if you don't take a stand. Crackhouse fencers would send junkies & boosters in.." go to stores x,y,z get me the following...easy score in these spots". Retail theft is a catch .22. That stint burned off some of the last vestiges of shock at what people will do especially when it comes to shoplifting, theft & robberies.

via EPIC4G SRF1.1.0 by Android Creative Syndicate

P.S. I think walmart is deplorable on multiple levels..there are enough documentaries if u don't know. I'm thankful I can get everything I need without going in there. I work too hard for my money..I'm very selective about whose hand I put it back into. P.P.S. skip the uscan & give another American a job.

via EPIC4G SRF1.1.0 by Android Creative Syndicate

Guest Boomhower

On the original topic.....My wife either carries her suitcase on her shoulder or buckles it in the cart using the little kiddy strap & handles of her purse. I know it isn't foolproof but it's better than nothing I guess. They'd have to cut the straps (simple enough) or they'd jerk the cart sideways when they tried to run off. Then they'd have a whole different situation on there hands because momma bears baby is always riding shotgun, & u don't mess with momma bears baby!

Coming in late in the thread and haven't read every post but I would like to clarify one thing, when I worked at walmart I was told we were not allowed to confront shoplifters or chase them down for fear of injury not to the thief but to employes and shoppers, I can't blame walmart for this policy I mean I know we all want to tackle a thief to the ground but what if he say pulls a knife? Most people carry a knife and though he may not have considered using it when he was simply stealing in secret he may consider using it when he's tackled to the ground and the adrenalin starts flowing. I know several of our shoplifters had knives when they were caught, not a big 8 inch buck but a pocket knife like most people carry, one guy was legally conceal carrying a handgun but he never drew it when caught and laid it down and backed away when he knew he was caught.

My point is this, though when I worked there I hated seeing people steal I would never have chased them down, I've been stabbed before and saving a big store like walmart a hundred bucks is not worth it and I don't think I could live with myself if I got someone else hurt while I tried to be a hero, so at the end of the day it comes down to this, that womans purse is not something I will risk my life for, one last thing, my manager once told me he would love to beat the crap out of a shop lifter or thief out in the parking lot but he knows he will loose his job.

I can understand and even support a retailer's decision to not physically/violently pursue a shoplifter...there ARE things,however that a store can and I think should do such as take photographs, get license tag numbers, train employees on getting good descriptions, etc. Those are modest things of course but over the years I've learned that even seemingly unimportant pieces of information can help police catch criminals.

That said, what I DON'T understand and will not support is when retailers (and I believe Wal-Mart is one of them) don't even permit employees to defend their lives and will fire an employee who fights back when threatened.

Stores are free to have such a policy but such policies show a complete and utter lack of concern for the lives of the employees.