rifle carry in car?

memphisjim

first im sure its on here somewhere but i couldnt find it

i have a hcp and forgot the rifle rules

as i remember it with a permit i can have a loaded rifle in vehicle so long as it isnt chambered

like say a mini 14 i could have a full mag inserted and be ok so long as it wasnt chambered

is this correct? and is the same true with pump shotguns? (tube full but not chambered)

thank you

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes.

(e) (1) It is an exception to the application of subsection (a) that a person authorized to carry a handgun pursuant to § 39-17-1351 is transporting a rifle or shotgun in or on a privately-owned motor vehicle and the rifle or shotgun does not have ammunition in the chamber. However, the person does not violate this section by inserting ammunition into the chamber if the ammunition is inserted for purposes of justifiable self-defense pursuant to § 39-11-611 or § 39-11-612.

not that id do it but what about walking about or bike riding with i rifle slung over back

can that be done?

You will be stopped by the Police, and people will call the Police on you. One guy already lost his HCP for doing it in Radnor Park. You have to use common sense.

so not legal? or legal and dumb?

It’s a crime to carry a gun in Tennessee. An HCP can give you an exception. But an HCP is not a right and can be revoked if the DOS thinks you are too stupid to be carrying a gun. So while its legal, it could trigger a hearing on your competency to carry a gun, which could result in the revocation of your HCP.

Guest Victor9er
The man identified by police as Leonard Embody, 37, already has caused a stir by donning miliary garb and going for a walk with his weapon at Radnor Lake State Park last weekend.
In an e-mail to The City Paper, Stollenwerk says: “Many people in the open carry community are not very happy with this fellow's apparent stunt to carry a ‘handgun’ that looked like a long gun slung over his shoulder, and capped with an orange tip to make it disguised as a toy — no wonder the police took an interest and investigated the guy.
This time, he walked down the street in Belle Meade with a loaded pistol in his hand and freaked out the police. "I didn't break any laws," he said on his YouTube post. "I carried a 1851 Navy pistol openly in my hand." Belle Meade's finest weren't amused. "Why do you feel like you end to walk down the street with a pistol in your hand?" one police officer asked Embody, who possesses a state handgun carry permit. "Self defense," he replied.

Oy.....

:)

hmmm bike guy

not that id do it but what about walking about or bike riding with i rifle slung over back

can that be done?

You can not carry a loaded long gun on your person, HCP or not, or even an unloaded one if ammunition is in immediate vicinity, except during act of legal hunting.

Law states you may carry the loaded (sans one in chamber) long gun, with an HCP " in or on a privately-owned motor vehicle". So a bicycle seems out of the equation.

Motorcycle probably technically okay, strapped to it or whatever, but would possibly expect to be questioned or hassled. Slung over your back would seem very gray, and I'd opine you'd probably you'd lose that benefit of the doubt if push came to shove.

- OS

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bkelm18
So, without a HCP what would be the proper way for me to transport or carry a rifle in my vehicle?

Ammo and rifle as separate as possible. Same with any firearm.

In my younger days everyone just carried thier rifle and/or shotgun in the back window of thier trucks. We even went to high school that way. Now I guess I am considered old and from the sticks but that was a normal and acceptable practice. And no it wasn't that long ago, 1980's.