If not posted is it "Ok" to carry???

Guest 808-South

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18
Unfortunately government buildings are off limits for carry - even for permit holders.

That's a negative. State and local gov't bldgs are ok for carry if not posted. Except for court houses etc.

Guest ArmaDeFuego

Per Handgunlaw, they arent off limits unless they are posted. Unless a judicial preceding is going on there.....

Notice it says "IF POSTED"

Places Off-Limits Even With A Permit/License:

 Any room in which judicial proceedings are in progress.

 Any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds,

recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of

education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration

of any public or private educational institution.

 It is not an offense for a nonstudent adult to possess a firearm, if such firearm is contained within a

private vehicle operated by the adult and is not handled by such adult, or by any other person acting

with the expresses or implied consent of such adult, while such vehicle is on school property.

 If Posted on the grounds of any playground, civic center or other building facility, area or property

owned, used or operated by any municipal, county or state government, or instrumentality thereof, for

recreational purposes. Note: 39-17-1311 (:lol:(iv) States: A person may enter the property for the

sole purpose of delivering or picking up passengers and who does not remove any weapon from the

vehicle or utilize it in any manner.Handgunlaw.us 3

 An individual, corporation, business entity or government entity or agent thereof is authorized to

prohibit possession of weapons by any person otherwise authorized by this subsection, at meetings

conducted by, or on premises owned, operated, managed or under control of such individual,

corporation, business entity or government entity. Notice of such prohibition shall be posted in

prominent locations, including all entrances primarily used by persons entering the building, portion

of the building or buildings where weapon possession is prohibited. Cities/Counties can post their

parks.

Guest 808-South

I enjoy going to the library and would hate to leave my pistol in my vehicle. I didnt see a sign today. But wasnt sure so I locked it in my car safe.

Guest ArmaDeFuego
Y'all are luckier than me. Both my local library and closest precinct are clearly posted.

Yea I'm pretty sure the main police station here in Clarksville is posted too. Dont know about the library though.

I thought it supposed to be clearly marked. The PD had no posting, niether did the library.

You're correct. Look extra carefully for the sign though. The Metro Nashville libraries are posted, but with a clear backed sticker on tinted glass doors with a gun & knife in the circle-slash about the size of a half-dollar. Easy to miss whn placed beside the much larger and white backed no smoking stickers.

Court houses aren't off limits unless posted. Any room with a judicial proceeding is. That would be an unposted court room while court is in session, but that court room is OK if court is not in session. Common areas of the court room would fine at all times unless the building is posted. Likewise, a judge could be holding a proceeding in a hospital room, making that off limits even if the hospital is an unposted building.

Guest bkelm18

Court houses aren't off limits unless posted. Any room with a judicial proceeding is. That would be an unposted court room while court is in session, but that court room is OK if court is not in session. Common areas of the court room would fine at all times unless the building is posted. Likewise, a judge could be holding a proceeding in a hospital room, making that off limits even if the hospital is an unposted building.

You're correct but I've yet to go into a courthouse (not many) that didn't have metal detectors immediately upon entry. :lol:

Guest 808-South
Just curious, why would you want to carry into a police station?

I went in to speak to someone. And its such a drag to unholster (IWB) and to leave my pistol in my vehicle.

Guest pfries
Just curious, why would you want to carry into a police station?

Criminals have guns on the streets so I carry to be prepared and safer....

Police have guns ergo I feel better prepared and safer ...

You're correct but I've yet to go into a courthouse (not many) that didn't have metal detectors immediately upon entry. ;)

That's true. I wonder how they'd handle that if an HCP holder legally carried into an unposted courthouse building and ran the handgun through the X-ray machine. :)

Guest Matt Pavo

Be careful for small, unusual or faded signs. I went to the Lebanon Police Department to pick up a copy of some information. They didn't have the slash sign but had a printed "NO WEAPONS ON PREMISES" with faded lettering on white paper. I had already assumed they would post so I locked it up in my glovebox, but went back out to drop off my knife when I saw the "WEAPONS" qualifier. Also, I have noticed some places posted on the inside and have tinted windows and are hard to recognize. That's why I always go concealed even if it means chaging shirts on the way out of the house.

Guest 270win

The signs have to be easily noticed and posted at all the entrances. If I don't see it, then it is not my fault. If the signs are not in compliance with the law, again not my fault. I am not breaking any law. No law against carrying in a police station or a courthouse. You can't carry in a room during a judicial proceeding. I do know the Shelby County Courthouse has metal detectors. I don't know if they will hold your gun for you or not. I've never gone down there. I have carried in a couple police stations in TN and no problems but I carry concealed. No point in unholstering, holstering, all the time game. If for some reason my gun is noticed (and i have done a bad job at concealing) at a police station I have a permit.

Guest ArmaDeFuego
Be careful for small, unusual or faded signs. I went to the Lebanon Police Department to pick up a copy of some information. They didn't have the slash sign but had a printed "NO WEAPONS ON PREMISES" with faded lettering on white paper. I had already assumed they would post so I locked it up in my glovebox, but went back out to drop off my knife when I saw the "WEAPONS" qualifier.

Thats not a properly posted sign. Legally you could carry past it. Not sure if I would want to have to take the time to try & explain that to some cop who happens to see my gun & doesnt know the law though......

That's true. I wonder how they'd handle that if an HCP holder legally carried into an unposted courthouse building and ran the handgun through the X-ray machine. :lol:

I have close friends who work in the courthouse here and several spisodes of this have happened. The HCP holders were carried off to jail. A couple were local attorneys who simply forgot their briefcase had their firearm and a few have been HCP holders, men and women, the women had theirs in their purse and had forgotten, the men were wearing them. Makes me cringe to think that our local Sheriff's Dept. is so assanine to not understand when something like this happens and it is TRULY a mistake. Although our courthouse is clearly posted, it still happens.