.45 ACP Brass

Today I was priming some .45 ACP brass, using mixed headstamp brass, wolfe large pistol primers. I noticed that the primers wouldn't fit into some of the casings. I also noted that my primer pocket tool for large pistol would not fit either. The small pistol primer pocket tool would. I had approx 50 or so casing which were a different size (too small). Has anyone else had this happen?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup. Ran into several. They actually use small pistol primers. One typical example is brass from Winchester "WinClean" ammo (or something like that).

Edit: just checked some of my brass. Looks like most of the SPP 45ACP brass is from ammo that was "lead free". I have some Blazer and Winchester (stamped WinNT) SPP in my box-o-brass.

Edited by jcj

I actually like and use small pistol primer 45 brass. It makes loading easier on my because I also load 9mm which uses small pistol primers as well. I don't have to swap out priming station on my progressive. It also makes stockpiling primers easier as I can use small rifle primers in everything I shoot.

If you don't want them I will gladly meet you and take them off your hands. I have about 400-500 pieces now and always looking for more.

Dolomite

So just use SPP's in lieu of LPP's? Will that cause a squibb?

No, a SP primer will work just as well as a LP primer. As long as the primer is strong enough to ignite the powder you will not have any problems.A squib is when there isn't enough powder or the powder doesn't ignite for some reason. I have yet to find issue when using SPP's over LPP's.

I have loaded my SPP 45 brass with standard small pistol primers from CCI, CCI 400 rifle primers, Remington 6.5, Remington 7.5, and small rifle magnum primers from Wolf. I have never had an issue when shooting them out of a 1911. I have used no less than a 1/2 dozen different kinds of powders and never had a the powder fail to ignite.

Dolomite

No, a SP primer will work just as well as a LP primer. As long as the primer is strong enough to ignite the powder you will not have any problems.A squib is when there isn't enough powder or the powder doesn't ignite for some reason. I have yet to find issue when using SPP's over LPP's.

I have loaded my SPP 45 brass with standard small pistol primers from CCI, CCI 400 rifle primers, Remington 6.5, Remington 7.5, and small rifle magnum primers from Wolf. I have never had an issue when shooting them out of a 1911. I have used no less than a 1/2 dozen different kinds of powders and never had a the powder fail to ignite.

Dolomite

Thanks for the help Dolomite.......