Problem With Kel-Tec PF9 Barrel

Guest darkstar

Guest darkstar

I got a Kel-Tec PF9 last week (bought very slightly used). Stupid me I forgot to look inside the barrel before I bought it, and after firing about 15 rounds or so, took it home and cleaned it. As I'm swabbing out the barrel I feel my cleaning rod "catching" on something. Long story short inside the first 1/3rd of the barrel is a lot of pitting. At first I thought it was something else but I ran a dental pick inside and sure enough it's definately pitted.

The original owner had left the sales slip inside the box and it shows the gun as a new purchase back in mid February. Unless the previous owner soaked it in something they shouldn't have I can't imagine why this has happened. So my question is should I call up Kel-Tec and ask them to replace the barrel or bring it back to where I bought it? The owners manual says lifetime warranty but states something to the effect that applies only to the original owner. The store i got it from I do a fair amount of business from and I know they wouldn't pass off something they knew to be damaged. If Kel-Tec won't make good on this perhaps the store can send it back....not sure.

Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing or with Kel-Tec? What would have caused this kind of thing? Corrosive ammo perhaps? Can't recall ever seeing corrosive 9mm before but who knows.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kdgreen23

Be prepared to wait. My P32 has been at Kel-Tec since December.

Every time I call them I get a standard answer. The first time it was:

4-6 weeks then after that was over I called them and they said it could

be 6-8 weeks. Still no gun. I have just forgot about it and when it gets

here maybe it will be like christmas or something. That PF-9 you bought

was it from ASP in Joelton? I sold one to them Saturday?????

I would call Kel-Tec, because what you need is just a new barrel, and you can probably get one pretty quick from KT. This is not really a "service" problem, so I'm guessing it won't take so long. Tell them your problem NICELY and ask if you can just send them the barrel (shipping will be cheap). And then they can mail you a new barrel, and you will be good to go.

Good luck!

• 1 year later...

Sorry to hear of barrel problems with your Kel-Tec PF9. I've heard good things about Kel-Tec customer service, but never have had to use it myself. I'm also a Kel-Tec owner, but my model is the P-11. I just qualified with it for my concealed carry permit this past weekend.

I have a slightly different problem with my KT P-11, and I'm told it's a common problem. However, I haven't heard of any successful fix for it. The problem is the so called baby rattle in my magazine with more than 7 rounds. At 7 rounds, or less, it will not rattle. But at 10 rounds it rattles a lot. I've flipped the spring, as some have suggested, but that didn't help. My 10 round Glock 26 mag has zero rattle in it. Yes, I know there's a few dollars difference in the price, but I like them both. If anyone knows a fix for the Kel-Tec mag baby rattle, please let me know. Thanks.