Really cheap knives... for scouts

Guest lostpass

I really like these.

Opinel No 8 Carbon Steel folding knife, Opinel Carbon Knives

They are 1095 carbon steel (you can also get them in stainless if you want) and are a locking blade. This is what my son uses as his pocket knife in Boy Scouts. And at $11 a piece, they are a fantastic deal!

Slightly OT, but this is what I bought as a garden around the house knife for my fiance. The uses the heck out of it and has quit using my expensive and super sharp kitchen knives to cut rope, open boxes and other stuff. The 1095 Opinal is easy to sharpen, and to keep sharp. A couple of licks on a ceramic rod does the trick most of the time. Other wise just a few passes on the belt sander and it's shaving sharp again.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's my only Opie, just wanted one to have as an example of the type...made since 1890.

If you went this way, might wanna go with smaller blade though for scouts, 4,5,6, maybe.

They come sharper than sweet bejesus, btw....

Opinel knife - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You could always get the #13 for the more advanced whittler in the den :) :

- OS

The No. 6 is as low as you can go and still get the safety ring, ...

Ah, didn't know. Just knew there were some without it, thought was an optional model or something, thanks.

Speaking of traditional style knives, I got a "peasant knife" some time back, it's pretty nifty too:

494563.jpg

Seems Svord is the only big maker of them anymore.

- OS

• Admin Team
Ah, didn't know. Just knew there were some without it, thought was an optional model or something, thanks.

Speaking of traditional style knives, I got a "peasant knife" some time back, it's pretty nifty too:

494563.jpg

Seems Svord is the only big maker of them anymore.

- OS

I really like that, Mac. I haven't seen one of that style in years, but it seems like it would really have some utility in the right situations.

I really like that, Mac. I haven't seen one of that style in years, but it seems like it would really have some utility in the right situations.

The Svord model I got opens pretty easily, and stays really locked open once your hand is around it. Very very sharp flat grind also. Just a really basic (and old) way of conceiving a "locking" folder with minimal machining.

This is the one I got: (the tang actually seats lower in the handle than the pic depicts)

PK - Peasant Knife 3 "

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I've been carrying a Svord Peasant everyday for the last 8 months! It rides in my right front pocket beautifully! I love this knife! I convexed the blade with wet dry sandpaper and a mouse pad, and it holds a great edge! There's nothing flashy about it. It just does all I ask it to do day in and day out. Mine has the black plastic scales. I've thought about getting another in Orange.

While this is an excellent inexpensive knife (I got mine off EBAY for $16 with shipping), it's not a knife I would recommend for Scouts. Boys do too many stupid things with knives and I could easily see one of them folding this one up on their fingers. I think the Opinel No. 6 or higher is a better knife for Scouts.

Guest lostpass

I've abandoned the cheap knives idea. Seemed to make sense at first but you folks are right. Sadly, I really want some opinels and a svord or two.

Every single time I ask a question in the knife forum I end up buying a lot of knives. I can't help it, they just all seem so cool. Though I will send out an email and recommend the opinel for the whittling chip.

Every single time I ask a question in the knife forum I end up buying a lot of knives. I can't help it, they just all seem so cool. Though I will send out an email and recommend the opinel for the whittling chip.

Stay away from BladeForums, then.

I got curious about the Chinese SanRenMu, Enlan, Navy knives, got a couple to try, now have 17 of them!

- OS

Guest lostpass

I got curious about the Chinese SanRenMu, Enlan, Navy knives, got a couple to try, now have 17 of them!

- OS

Laugh all you will but that is actually why I stay away from those places. Every gun I shoot, I want. Badly. Every knife I hear about I've gotta have. Some weird disease I guess.

• Admin Team

- OS

They have groups for people like you, Mac.

edit - this may be a case of the pot calling the kettle, black.

Here is my Peasant!

GEDC0199.jpg

I like inexpensive things. Notice I didn't say cheap! I don't have a lot of money to throw around, so when I find things that are inexpensive, I tend to buy them. In blades, I like the Mora knives ( I have three), Opinels, Svord Peasants (BTW Svords are made by a Knife Maker in New Zealand by the name of Baker and the Peasant is his only low end knife. All the rest of his knives tend to be north of a C-note. They all come convexed and they are rare here in the states.)and slip joints like Rough Rider and Bear and Sons Knives.

I'm gravitating to simple firearms more and more too in my old age, like bolt and lever action rifles, single shot shotguns and revolvers. I have more fun with them, especially .22s!

Edited by Moped
...I like inexpensive things. Notice I didn't say cheap! I don't have a lot of money to throw around, so when I find things that are inexpensive, I tend to buy them. In blades, I like the Mora knives ( I have three), Opinels, Svord Peasants....

Yeah, that's what got me cranking on the SRM/Enlan/Navy...average under $15 each with shipping, same companies that make the PRC versions for Spyderco, Buck, Kershaw, etc, but directly under their own names. I need to do a separate thread, though.

- OS