Tennessee Trash - pack it in, pack it out

R_Bert

<gripe>

When the garbage cans at your local TWRA range are full and overflowing, don't just keep piling up your :D with it.

I have no idea why the cans were full (two trips now), maybe TWRA budget & staffing issues, but there was more garbage on the ground than in the cans, most of it empty cartridge boxes and targets (paper).

I packed mine, and a bit more out today. It ain't hard to keep the place clean folks...

<gripe off>

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorta on topic with trash etc.

Used to fish a spot along a river that everyone fished. Private land but close to the road. Always McDonald bags, worm cups, beer cans scattered about.

Ive always carried extra food city bags for garbage and muddy boots etc. One day I was policing the parking spot along the river because it looked like crap. A lone elder gent in a truck stopped. I figured this is my last day here not having permission and all.

Well he sees me with one full bag and another in my hand picking more up. He gets out, tells me owns the property and continues on about people trashing up the place. Then he tells me hes never seen anyone pick up any damn thing. He also tells me he has been running people out lately because of it. ( Wondered why I kept getting a spot to park.) After some more small talk he tells me I can come back anytime I want, and was glad there were people that still had some respect for others and their land.

So yes, whether public or private we all stand to lose eventually by the misuse of simple privilages.

was at the twra range in cheatham today for the first time, after the kids shootin melons with their .22 rifle and handguns on the 15yd left, and the kids with the ar shootin random soda cans and paper targets on the 50yd range left, me and the old nose also still shootin on the 100yd got to talkin. he was sayin he was amazed how clean that range was today. he hadn't been in a year and used to come all the time and would have to haul bagS of trash out when he left because guys would just leave whatever they came with on the ground and every which where. he was expectin it to have closed down it was so bad. is it twra cleaning up or volunteers, anyone know?

Pigs. Royal Blue 100 yd range, today.

Ran out of bags and energy. Someone else needs to do the 50 yd & 150 yd ranges.

Carry a few garbage bags rolled up in your range bag.

Thanks to the two fellows from Knoxville who helped me pick up very juicy and nasty stuff.

IMAG0041.jpg

IMAG0042.jpg

IMAG0043.jpg

It never ceases to amaze and disturb me at the amount of trash people leave in our parks/public areas. I am the president of the Meeman Shelby Friends of the Forest. I hike the trails in the Park. I run and bike the roads around the park. When I hike I always carry a garbage bag and I always come out of the forest with trash. It just boggles my mind. I am beginning to think public floggings for littering a park should be a legal punishment.

Pigs. Royal Blue 100 yd range, today.

Ran out of bags and energy. Someone else needs to do the 50 yd & 150 yd ranges.

Carry a few garbage bags rolled up in your range bag.

Thanks to the two fellows from Knoxville who helped me pick up very juicy and nasty stuff.

IMAG0041.jpg

IMAG0042.jpg

IMAG0043.jpg

Thank you for setting the example.

Nice work R_Bert! How is the royal Blue Range in general? Worth the drive from Knoxville?

It is decent. Pretty much like the Norris Range except there is no porta-potty. Has sheds, benches, 50, 100, 150 yd / skeet ranges. 10'+ Berms on the sides help cut down (but not eliminate) the cross wind. Flatwoods Road going into the WMA is getting a bit rough though. Stll accessible via car, but take your time, and watch out for ATV's.

Pigs. Part II. Royal Blue Range. After policing the 100 yd (again), I did the 150 yd range. Seven bags of garbage.

CIMG1965.jpg

CIMG1966.jpg

CIMG1967.jpg

Wow. I hauled some trash off the 55yd range up there just this past weekend. Didn't go up to the other side to see what it looked like. Thanks for helping keep it clean!

Wow. I hauled some trash off the 55yd range up there just this past weekend. Didn't go up to the other side to see what it looked like. Thanks for helping keep it clean!

Thanks for your help.

I did not look at the 50 yard range, but someone yesterday told me it was still bad. Maybe with a few more folks like you, it will be clean too.

• 4 months later...

All,

I went up to the Royal Blue WMA today. I used the 150 yd range, and carried out a bag of trash on it, left it in good shape,

I wondered over to the 100 yard range, and carried out another two bags (It is "OK", but more needs to be done).

The 50 yard range however, is a mess.

I didn't have enough time or energy to do anymore today.

Folks, The budget for the WMAs does not allow for daily or probably even weekly trash removal. It is not enough to just dump the trash on top of the cans.

Pack you own paper, boxes, bottles out, and maybe even be a good neighbor and take a bit more with you.

In the last nine months, I have carried out about three Toyota Pickup loads of trash just from Royal Blue. C'mon folks....

Remind your friends and co-workers too.