Physical conditioning

Guest jackdog

Guest jackdog

Ok we all have our guns, our preferred method of carry and the ability to shoot well at close range ( well I hope that’s the case). But how many of us are in decent physical condition. What do you guys do to maintain, and hopefully improve your physical condition. The better shape you are in the faster you will be at either using your weapon or getting out of a bad situation. being overweight and out of shape does not lend itself to good survial skills

Jackdog

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

I'm not in near the condition that I need or want to be, but I am taking steps to correct that. I've dropped 60lbs in the past year and am steadily working toward my ideal weight. Strength wise I'm probably average for my height and build. It doesn't take much for me to gain muscle mass, which is either fortunate or unfortunate depending on how you look at it. I have to be careful that when I'm doing weights, I am doing low weight and high reps for that reason.

Useful muscle > Bulk > Fat.

I'm actually in better condition than a couple of years ago. I never got "fat" but have had a bit of a shift of my chest to my stomach area. Getting older sucks. :D

As you say molonlabetn, stress helps me keep my boyish physique.

Guest Ramtough47

Depending on my schedule i will in a weeks time:

[1]Hit the local gym 2-3 times were i will do a mile on the treadmill then go into weight-lifting plan that i have worked out over 20plus years of lifting.I superset bench presses with arm curls for 3 sets each,then i superset tricep-pushdowns with dumbell curls and calf-raise 3 sets each...i try and do all the in under 35 minutes.This does 3 things:[1]cardio,[2]great pump,[3]gets me out of the gym so i can do more fun stuff,like reloading,shooting.etc.etc....

[2]I have just started this:RUCKING/HIKING i got this idea from one of Yeager's moderators on his 'GetofftheX forum", WETSU. On my day off,which is generally Wednesday,i will go out to Natchez Trace State park with my BOB pack[which weighs 38lbs] and go RUCKING.Some days i will do 2-3 miles others i will do 8-10,depended on my time.I will also try and do a mile every 20 to 25 minutes,so i am not bird watching, i am a hoofing it.

[3]Most morning before i shower i do a quick 20 squats/20deadlifts[without weights]/20push-up/30crunches and then some back stetches,then shower.

Guest db99wj

I have great pec's and my abs' are a six pack, course my pecs fell over my abs and it just looks like I have a pot belly!

Nothing, not too bad out of shape, not great shape either. Don't run, stopped working out because of time and money. Need to do something. I do chase the kids around and under enough stress at work helps my weight. I'm 5'9" and weigh in at 170.

My wife 'encourages' me to participate in healthy eating habits with her (voluntarily or course)...

I open my lunch most days to find a can of Slim-Fast, some form of fruit, and a sandwich (Organic Peanut Butter on Whole Wheat Bread)...

sigh.

But, hey... whatever I gotta do to keep her motivated to stay in-shape, right? :D

Guest jackdog

glockingtn how did you quit man, heck I've tried for the past 7 yrs and still havent kicked the damn things. The rest of you guys seem to be into conditioning for the most part. Some of you make this old guys workouts look like kindergarden. Mars I agree with ya getting old sucks, But not getting any older really does not appeal to me at this time.

Jackdog

Guest Archimedes

I'm 5'11', 160lbs.

I'm not in any sort of shape, though.

I smoke also, but I haven't smoked very long(5 yrs) and want to quit (just not bad enough, yet).

I did, however, run best time in the obstacle course for the local police dept.

Series of walls

run through concrete tile

barrel slalom

high step tires

crawl through smaller tile

walk along a horizontal lelephone pole

carry/drag 160lb dummy 25 ft,

sprint over varied terrain for 1/4 mile

push a cruiser 25ft

dry fire .38 revolver 6 times pause 6 more

I can't remember my time, but it was better than anyone else including a couple of ex-military people.

I knew going in that I'd probably never make it 'cause of my eye, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to try. I had the third best score on the written exam and first on the course. I made it to the interview part and figured I blew it. I didn't really know the right answers to the questions they were asking because I'd had no Criminal Justice courses. When I inquired later about what I could have done to improve my chances, they told me that I did well, but they were only hiring two. Two others had military experience and one of those two also had a CJ degree.

If nothing else, I still have the app and use it to remember my previous jobs, dates, and such.....They ask you EVERTHING on those apps.

~Archi

I smoke also, but I haven't smoked very long(5 yrs) and want to quit (just not bad enough, yet).

I only smoked cigarettes for a couple of years. I quit just before going to Vietnam. (Yes, I know that's really weird.) But I had cravings for the coffin nails occasionally for ten years after that. It's the psychological addiction that gets you.