Mossberg 930SX

Well I picked up a Mossberg 930SX a few weeks ago. Figured for the money it would be a nice 3 gun shotty and double for HD.

Got the first one in and it had the canted front sight, finish was off in places, rail and rear peep were loose, and the bolt would bind on the shell lifter. Figured that jewel was made on a Friday, so I sent it back.

Got the replacement in today. Fit and finish are much better. BUT I still have the stupid bolt binding issue.

I sent Mossberg a message directly on this one, so i'll keep you updated on their service.

9fb09fdc.jpg

Check out the video. I just push the button to let it fly. It jams up about once out of every 4-6 times.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Subscribed. Let us know how it turns out. A buddy of mine has a new 930 SPX and it does the same thing to him. Had issues constantly at the last MCTS 3-Gun and he was in my squad.

Good luck with this.

Still no word from mossberg.

Gun is supposed to hold 7 +1 only able to fit 5 in the tube.

Worst part is it ejects the rounds out the back instead of into the chamber.

Have you checked to see that there's only one mag follower in there? I know of a couple people who had two or more accidentally.

Subscribed. Let us know how it turns out. A buddy of mine has a new 930 SPX and it does the same thing to him. Had issues constantly at the last MCTS 3-Gun and he was in my squad.

Good luck with this.

I hate to hear that about your buddies SPX. I have heard a lot of negative about them, but I have had no issues with mine. I recently attended a class and the instructor was so sure that my 930SPX was a piece of junk that he offered to let me use a 870 even before the class started. I declined and I had a very good outing with my own shotgun.

• 2 weeks later...

Well got the 930 back from Mossberg today.

There was no explanation of what they did. They did include a $0 balance invoice that shows a shell stop assembly and an elevator.

Anyway the shotty now holds the correct round count and the bolt has not bound up yet. I was able to load and manually cycle the rounds this time.

The crappy part is now the trigger group and lifter have a lot of play in them. I can live with that as long as it functions. The part that grinds my gears though is they left tool marks all over the shotgun. Scuff on the forearm, hammer and punch marks on the receiver, scuffs on the elevator and trigger housing.

Now this shotgun will be used so I can deal with the scuffs etc, but there is no way I could sell this 930 as NIB in this condition.

It's sad to see where the Mossberg product and customer service has ended up. Edited by Troutburger
addition

Finally made it to the range with the 930. 25 rounds of light bird shot low brass, only issue was one light primer strike.

5 x 3" magnum buckshot. OUCH!. 5 x 2 3/4" buckshot. no issues.

10 x 2 3/4" slugs grouped in about a soft ball at 50 yards from a rest. Had two feeding issues (shells were not ejected from magazine tube) racked the slide went right into battery.

Sights were easy to adjust and responsive to clicks.

I had not cleaned nor lubed the shotty from the factory, so I think that was the cause of my issues. I shot the slugs last and the gun was quite hot by that time. Ripped through the ammo in about 30 minutes...got the sore shoulder this am.

Caster,

I won a new one in a raffle that started life as a Blackwater model and had been worked over by XS Systems: has Nordic extension to make it 8+1, Nordic charging handle, been threaded for chokes includes one Briley extended, C-Rum lifter and opened for easier shell loading. Has XS express sights with tritium front. I haven't shot it but the XS guy said they zeroed it at 100 yards with Rem low recoil slugs and it ran flawless.

I'm sticking with my SLP so don't have whole lotta use for it. Let me know if you might be interested.

Edited by Dave Shooter