Loading .380, 9mm and later on .40 & 45acp

Guest BobPayne44

Guest BobPayne44

about got all my Pistol brass deprimed, cleaned and ready to reload

Right now i'm only going to do some .380 for a Ruger lcp but mostly 9mm for a Bereta 92fs id like to use 1 powder for these two as well as the .40 and .45 acp later on. i have been researching powder i have loaded about 1 pound of hodgdon h335 in .223s so far and it seemed to meter ok in my lee's perfect powder measure after some tweaking.

i have been looking at Hodgdons Titegroup for the pistol ammo will be using hornady and or winchester fmj rounds in all, what are your ideas on titegroup for all pistol until i get more reloading under my belt and is the tightgroup the same size flakes or so as the h335..

i will be using a lee pro powder measure for pistol loads and want something that will meter pretty good in it.

Thanks a bunch

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure about titegroup but accurate #5 is good for anything from 380 to .45, though it is not for magnums like the 44/357 etc. Power pistol is also good for the same calibers. I tend to pick one powder for most calibers, same as you, and the power pistol was easy to find in a keg (bigger container) while #5 is hard to find outside of the 1 pound bottle, at least in my area. It varies from store to store.

I load 9mm, 38Sp and .45 with Titegroup. I like it, but I'm considering trying Accurate # 2 or #5 just to compare.

I like the one powder across calibers, and Titegroup loads are pretty small, so it goes a long way.

tite group is very very clean for me it is the number 1 pistol powder in sales with unique being number 2 .

with all that said in pistols i use number 5 for the ones you listed number 9 for magnums and number 7 for 38 super

the only thing about accurate powders is make sure you have a good crimp david

tite group is very very clean for me it is the number 1 pistol powder in sales with unique being number 2 .

with all that said in pistols i use number 5 for the ones you listed number 9 for magnums and number 7 for 38 super

the only thing about accurate powders is make sure you have a good crimp david

David,

Out of curiosity, why do you prefer those powders over Unique or Tightgroup? Metering, performance, fill ratio ?

I have been using Titegroup for my handgun reloads for a few years now. I load .38spl, .357mag, .40sw and .45acp. Its clean burning, meters very well and goes a long way. Very economical to reload with. Just make sure your measure is on. This is not always a case filler so visual checking is harder. I use a hornady powder checker with my setup and I still check a round at least every 20 rounds. I love it.

I don't think any powder used for so wide a range of calibers is going to always fill the cases. That is the downside of the all in one powder approach. Both of the ones I listed fill a 380 case pretty well but leave a lot of room in the bigger stuff.

Jonin, I recently reloaded .380, 9mm, .40 and .44 Mag with TiteGroup. Results at the range were perfect. You are correct about not filling up the brass but it still goes bang. Watch the Lee Powder messure though. I found that I have to tap on mine to ensure proper and even pours. The first time using this powder you may heed Lee's suggestion to fill the Powder Messure full and run it through to prime the measure. After doing this and allowing the in internal components to get "lubricated" in the dust the accuracy and consistency tightened up considerably on my loads. Best of luck. If you use #2 let me know how it works out. I'm looking for an alternate powder to test out differences for giggles. But it will take time to make it through my initial 4 lb. purchase at ~5 gr. a pop.

I started with #2, inherited 2 pounds of it. It is aggravating for me. I use the lee disk measure and it just barely makes a pretty hot 380 round with the smallest possible disk hole (with #2) and the 45s have so little in them I think you could get 4X a charge in there. If you have a different type of measure, it may work better for you. It works great in the 45s, by the way. The other issue with it is error factor --- if your equipment is off by volume or weight either one, .1 grain of weight for example, the difference in your loads with #2 is a LOT more noticable than .1 grain difference in #5 or #7. The good side is economics: a pound of #2 costs the same and goes farther than the others.

• 1 month later...
Guest BobPayne44

Just thought i would update all on my Titegroup loading, I have loaded about 700 Rounds of 9mm and another 750 Rounds of 45 ACP and they go where i point them. also loaded a couple hundred rounds of 9mm using win231 and it seems to do pretty good too though i think the Titegroup makes for tighter groups.

I've used Power Pistol for both 9mm and 380 ACP. It's working great for me, I also just use Rainier Bullets they're shooting' pretty straight.

I don't use my 380 Lee dies anymore, sold my LCP in favor of a PF9. If you need dies, toss me a PM.

-Aaron

Guest BobPayne44
I've used Power Pistol for both 9mm and 380 ACP. It's working great for me, I also just use Rainier Bullets they're shooting' pretty straight.

I don't use my 380 Lee dies anymore, sold my LCP in favor of a PF9. If you need dies, toss me a PM.

-Aaron

PM Sent