Handgun Purchase question

Guest hoffa509

Guest hoffa509

I am in the Army and currently serving in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on">Iraq</st1:country-region>, but I will be back in <st1:City w:st="on">Jackson</st1:City> visiting friends and family in May. The question is, can I buy a handgun in <st1:State w:st="on">Tennessee</st1:State>? I am currently stationed in <st1:State w:st="on">Virginia</st1:State>. However, since I am active duty, my permanent residence is <st1:State w:st="on">Tennessee</st1:State>. I file taxes in Tn, my vehicles are registered there, I vote in <st1:State w:st="on">Tn. </st1:State>Ect. All military have the option of keeping their home state since we are federal employees. I have lived in seven states with the Military but have always kept my legal stuff in <st1:State w:st="on">Tennessee.</st1:State> My LES (pay stub) states my home state is <st1:State w:st="on">Tennessee</st1:State>. I also own a house in <st1:City w:st="on">Jackson</st1:City>. My parents still live there and I use their address for some things. Any ideas if I can legally buy one while I am home?

One of the issues is that I can buy a handgun in <st1:State w:st="on">Virginia</st1:State>, but I can only buy one every 30 days (you would think military would be exempt especially since I have been armed for the past year). I will have spent over a year in <st1:country-region w:st="on">Iraq</st1:country-region> once I return and I would like to make some purchases when I get back. I will have the most time to use them while I am on leave.<O:p</O:p

<O:p></O:p>

Thanks<O:p></O:p>

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Boomhower

I live in TN as well, and I buy guns in TN. I don't see why it would be any different for you........And thank you for your service...:up:

Guest hoffa509

The problem is I do not live in Tennessee. My home station is Virginia. Of course I have lived in Baghdad for a year. I was born, raised, and keep TN my home of record.

Guest Jamie

It doesn't matter where you physically live at the moment. Your official place of residence/permanent address is Tennessee. That's the part that counts.

Your employment with the Army amounts to nothing more than a very extended business trip, as far as the law is concerned.

You might be "away" temporarily, but you live here.

J.

Guest Jamie
That might be the problem, does your Tennessee drivers license have a Tennessee address on it?

If it's a Tennessee drivers license wouldn't it have to have a Tennessee address on it? :eek:

Now if it's a military license...

J.

Guest Crunchman

hoffa59,

My son has just been discharged from the military and is finally back home. Like you, he kept his Tn. address while serving and made a couple of firearm purchases, with no problems. In fact, nearly every time he came home on leave, there would be a new firearm in the safe. Since he lived on base, he left his guns with me except for his plinker rifle, which he kept with a friend who lived off-base. Since he spent most of his active duty in Afghanistan or Iraq, he said he worried less about his guns if they were locked up at my house while he was away.

Guest hoffa509

Actually, I have a <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Louisiana</st1:place></st1:State> drivers license. I was stationed there for three years and had to get a local license when I got my motorcycle endorsement. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

I have a buddy in Baghdad who still carries an Alaska license for financial reasons....

His real home is here in Tennessee, so he would have a problem.

Of course if they hadn't kept him in, he would be retired and working in Alaska. :tinfoil: