Homemade holster for my 642

JAB

I decided to make a belt holster for my 642. I like a holster that can be easily removed in case I have to go somewhere that carry isn't legal so I started out using a metal clip. I found I didn't like the clip so I made a leather 'belt loop' that fastens securely with snaps. Using an idea that I got from another thread on here, I decided to use coffee as a stain for the 'finish'. The front got more applications than the back, dried with a hairdryer between applications. I like how it makes the holster look like something that someone has used for years even though it is actually brand new. I am still nowhere near 'professional' in my holster making but I enjoy it and end up with holsters that are at least functional at a fraction of the cost of buying leather holsters.

S5004504.jpg

S5004507.jpg

S5004517.jpg

Edited by JAB
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That'll work! I like how you made the belt loops. Do make certain the snaps are plenty strong. I'll bet that carries very comfortably.

Thanks - from the pics you have posted, you obviously do great work on holsters so a positive comment from you means a lot. The snaps are 'heavy duty' snaps that I got at the leather store - they are actually a little difficult to unsnap. It does carry extremely comfortably but, as it doesn't hold as tightly to my side as some other holsters I have made, it creates a bit more of a 'bulge' under my cover garment. In fact, it 'bulges' more with the same cover garment (an unbuttoned, untucked denim shirt) than my CZ82 carried in the homemade belt slide holster I made for it. My wife still says that the 642 isn't as noticeable as I think, even with her knowing it is there. I kind of have an itch to make another, similar holster with a basket weave pattern stamped on it. If I do, I'll probably just go with a 'standard' belt loop on it. Might be a while, though, as I have it in mind to make a couple of leather items to give as Christmas gifts this year.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
How do you make the coffee stain? I normally use a stane from Tandy leather that looks very good but I alwase want to play with new things. And that looks very cool

Pdheald, I just wet a couple of tablespoons full of auto drip coffee with some hot coffee from the coffee maker (a little more than 'dampened' but not soaked - almost a paste-like consistency.) Rubbed it into the leather (grounds and all) with a paper towel, wiped the grounds off and dried it with a hairdryer. Repeated those steps until I got the look I wanted.