Colt MK IV/Series 70 1911 extracting problem.

IggyBcool

I recently noticed my Colt is having a little problem with clipping the spent casing as its ejecting. Its leaving a pretty good dent on the tip of the casing where the bullet rests. It almost looks like you have taken a pair of pliers and squeezed just one of the sides. I've noticed that the slide has gotten a little more stiff to pull back. Any one have any ideas on how to adjust it or is this something that an actual gunsmith needs to look at?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I clean after every outing. Its the Government model if that will also help identify the problem. My father has had it for a while and never really had any issues like this. I didn't notice it till kinda recent. About a year ago, but have only put another 10 rounds through it since. I didn't want to keep firing it with it clipping the casing because I didn't know if it was causing damage to the slide or frame.

It is possible you need a replacement bushing and follower spring. Otherwise you have either a very dry slide or some foreign debris binding it as it cycles. Pretty much run of the mill wear and tear maintenance for the Series 70 1911 GM. FWIW I this is my personal favorite of the Colt 1911 GM made.

Guest TresOsos

When was the last time it was completely detail stripped and cleaned.

Is the Hammer hard to cock manually?

With the hammer already cocked is it easier to rack the slide.

I would suggest doing a complete detail strip including disassembly of the mainspring housing.

Inspect for any broken parts or debris, such as brass chips causing binding.

Also does this model have a solid barrel bushing or one with the spring fingers.

If a finger type bushing one the fingers could have broken.

Also did you a have a shock buff in it that might have deteroratied and come apart.

I did take it yesterday and fired several rounds through it. I also took my Glock 30 and fired a couple through it. I noticed that with my Glock every single spent casing fell in the exact location, how ever with my 1911 the spent casing were flinging EVERYWHERE. I found some in front of me, some to my left, some behind me, a couple to the right. I'm going to upload a picture in just a second of some of the spent casing fired from the 1911 and see if they look "normal" to you guys.

would be interesting to see the extractor hook and measure its tension,...my 1911's are pretty consistent as to where the brass goes..

look at a Gold Cup for the port shape that doesn't ding brass, until it looks like that, you will be dinging your brass don't worry it resizes out when you reload them :tough:

eventually you will replace that collet bushing if you shoot it alot,.. they break

Kuhnhausen wrote the book for a .45 a great reference to a "stock" 1911

JERRY KUHNHAUSEN THE U.S. M1911/M1911A1 PISTOLS A SHOP MANUAL - Brownells

John

If it is flinging brass all over the place it can be either the extractor or recoil spring or a combination of both. Remove the slide. Push in on the firing pin. Slide the firing pin stop out of place. Remove the firing pin and spring. After that try to remove the extractor. If your extractor just falls out or has little tension holding it in place then it needs adjustment. Or you could check tension using a casing without disassembling the slide. Plenty of info on the internet on how to do it.

How far away is the brass going?

Do you ever get stovepipes?

Do you ever get any failure to feeds?

Or did you figure it out?

Dolomite