first squib

Well today was the day. I got home early and seeing as the weather is fairly nice I decided to go outside and blast a few rounds with the 1851 Navy and the SP101 .357 mag.

No issues with the Navy. That gun is a hoot to throw lead with.

But while shooting my .357 reloads I started in on a fresh cylinder load and fired the first round, BANG, the second round, pop. :rolleyes: Immediately I was thinking WTF! I stopped what I was doing and ejected all five casings/cartridges and sure enough three loaded rounds and two empty casings. I looked at the forcing cone and oh yeah there sat a bullet just about 1/16 of an inch past the cone. Good God I am thankful I was not blasting away and pulled that trigger one more time. I think the outcome would have not been good.

Took the gun back into the house and using a drill bit with the smooth end towards the bullet I tapped the little bugger out. I am pretty sure if I want to I can re-use the bullet.

end result is no harm, no foul, but it sure could have been ugly.

Good news is that I went back out to finish shooting and was throwing three shot groups with the .357 that would have fit inside a quarter. I had one three shot group that a nickel would have covered. My best shooting ever with that pistol from 10 feet.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First time for every reloader. I had my first while shooting a match. Fortunately the round didn't travel much past the chamber and prevented the next round from chambering. Probably saved my gun and my underwear. I now look at each and every load to insure that it has a powder charge.

Guest sling

Yeah squibs can be embarrassing too. I was at TWRA one day and it was like every other round out of a box of 50 i had reloaded was a squib. Long story short, i noticed when i had gotten home my powder measure was.... stopped up...somehow. Red dot doesnt meter too well apparently. I now check every single charge.

This happened to my son who was shooting reloads in my .357. This is one thing I never went over him with and if it had not still been part way in the cylinder which kept it from turning I feel like he would have shot it again. That scared me enough that I took the time right then to talk to him about that. I could not believe that I had neglected something like that and he could have been hurt because I did not do that. I know its hard to think of all the little things that could happen that rarely ever does but this really got me thinking about other things that I may have not told him.

Obviously I feel your pain there boatman. I have added the squib story to any verbal instructions I will give to anyone who shoots a revolver of mine. The only thing that eases my mind over other ammo being without powder is that the squib came from the very first box of ammo I reloaded and I have since making those rounds developed a better system for quality control of home rolled rounds.

I also think anyone other than the newest of shooters will know something is not right when you hear pop instead of bang. Hopefully they will stop and inspect the firearm.