Wife's New Gun, S&W 617 4" SS, .22

sigbear

I posted a poll question earlier this week, S&W 617 or Ruger SP101 both .22's, We went to the gun shop and they had a S&W 617 but no SP101 in .22, so, she went with the 617.

I have a SP101 .357 w/3" barrel so she has fired that but even 38 loads were to much for her. I have no doubt that after a couple of months of shooting her new .22 she will be ready to be the new owner of my SP101 GRRRRRRRR.

She shot 200 rounds yesterday and her 1st. shot hit the target dead center at 15' and I slowly moved the target out until we were at 50' and she did very well. This was her best shooting day ever because she is recoil sensitive with larger calibers and I had no .22 for her to shoot.

The 617 trigger pull was lighter than I expected and smooth. The only complaint she had was the black sights, so, I will switch or paint the front sight, any suggestions on this? Great Gun, very expensive, but it made her smile after the 1st. shot hit dead center so that makes it worth every penny.

Sigbear

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hawkeye10

If she was shooting a target with a black bulls eye then it's hard to see your sights. You need a target with a light back ground then you won't have to put ugly paint on your new gun. You bought one of the best 22's on the market and you and your wife will get a life time of enjoyment out of it. Go to this link and print some targets to take to the range with you. They are cheap and I like cheap. Don

Free Targets Online (at Thomas's Photos, Targets and Art)

Sound's like your wife is on the right track now to become a good shooter, time and practice will get her to that goal. You have the right ideal on the putting a dab of paint on the front sight of the revolver, it will make it easier to pick up in lower light or against a dark backdrop. I don't care for it but will be the first to say it can help so give it a try. On down the road a bit you can consider replacing the front sight with a fiber optic sight which IMMO is a very nice set up.