Ruger LCP .380

tmck

Guest darkstar
Perfectly acceptable and reasonable per your view.

Me either. Very strange.

Was it unusable because of the pitting? I don't guess you took photos. Since it went to your sister, can you get some photos? I'd like to hear Kel-Tec's explanation.

No I don't think it's unusable but it made me leery to continue using it the way I would have i.e. shooting a couple hundred rounds a month with regular cleaning...for my sister it's perfectly fine...she will use it just for home defense and maybe fire it a few times a year.

Not sure how to get a photo of the inside of the barrel...what it looks like is several small (pin-point size) pits in one area and a maybe 1/16 th inch chip out of the barrel about a third of the way in. No corrosive ammo used or anything harsh to clean it....who knows maybe it got damaged during shipping somehow. I'm over it though...I decided after I fired it (before I discovered the pitting) that I didn't really like it much and was going to pass it on. It was sort of an impulse purchase I guess... I didn't get a name but the lady I spoke to said there was no way they could be responsible for something like that and it had to be a result of something I did and therefore would not be covered. I may get around to getting a replacement barrel at some point but at the time I just chalked it up to lousy service and decided never to buy their products again. Clearly I got a lemon....it happens I just think they could have stood by their stuff better. I think they are decent guns though, I just won't buy another....call it my (insignificant) protest :P

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest durdensfriend

Yeah actually, I held it right after the LCP. There is just something about Kel-tec that I don't like... I mean, they're practically the same gun but I'd buy the Ruger first. The sights on the LCP were much better than the P3AT (at least between the two that I held) but I will say that the DA trigger was better on the P3AT, granted it was a rental so it had been broken in.

Well, if you haven't figured it out by now, I'm not anti- Ruger .

They did obviously rip off Kel-Tec while clamming their own innovation. I have a problem with that . I hope Tel-Tec can sue them to gun-hell.

It looks like they have a good handgun. And Kel-Tec consistently produces handguns with problems....

Guest durdensfriend

The MSRP is $330 but my local shop sells them for 289.99 when they have them... and they've only had ONE so far.

And if I'm not mistaken... Ruger and Kel-tec have some sort of agreement on the design of this pistol. I think Ruger paid for a license or something... not entirely sure.

Yeah actually, I held it right after the LCP. There is just something about Kel-tec that I don't like... I mean, they're practically the same gun but I'd buy the Ruger first. The sights on the LCP were much better than the P3AT (at least between the two that I held) but I will say that the DA trigger was better on the P3AT, granted it was a rental so it had been broken in.

Sights on these guns is irrelevant.These are not made to target practice at 25 yards.There made for BUG's,and for close combat.In a situation where these would be deployed,you would not need them

Sights on these guns is irrelevant.These are not made to target practice at 25 yards.There made for BUG's,and for close combat.In a situation where these would be deployed,you would not need them

I have to agree. The sights are pretty much an afterthought for this type of weapon.

I think a better point is whether as many Rugers have to go back to the factory before they are reliable. That does bother me about the Kel-Tecs.

Personally, I'd still buy the Kel-Tec on principle unless I hear of a licensing agreement and the slightly smaller size. I'd be happier if the size shrank rather than grew bigger.

I'm afraid we are going to get tainted reports on both of these small handguns. We may get a Ruger is wonderful camp and a Kel-Tec is fantastic camp to rival the Glock religion.

I got to fondle an LCP and an SR-9 yesterday... and I must say that the grip texture, build quality and ergonomics of the LCP was noticably superior to the Kel-Tec. The trigger pull on the LCP was smoother.

The SR-9 felt awesome in my hand, and pointed well... but the trigger positively sucked. Reminded me of a staple-gun.

Reminded me of a staple-gun.

Ooooo. That's not good.

I almost stopped at a shop on the way into Kingsport today to see if they had a LCP. But the weather was horrible and I wanted to get Mark@sea's wife's Thermos back to her.

I just stuck a .380 Snap Cap in the pile to take to the car if it ever stops raining. There goes one excuse for not letting me fire the thing when I find one.

You know, if someone would make a re-strike capable gun like this, I'll bet they would clean up.

Guest eyebedam

With all the Kel Tec love around here it would make 1 wonder if some of yall have stock in Kel Tec. They may do the job but to me they just feel cheap, atleast the ones that I have handled did.

With all the Kel Tec love around here it would make 1 wonder if some of yall have stock in Kel Tec. They may do the job but to me they just feel cheap, atleast the ones that I have handled did.

Nah, some of us just have an aversion to some other company stealing their design while mindlessly talking about how innovative they are.

Guest eyebedam
Nah, some of us just have an aversion to some other company stealing their design while mindlessly talking about how innovative they are.

I can appreciate & understand that but doesnt alot of the other manufactures do the same thing. I was just looking at Taurus website and this is how they open it up.

It's not easy to keep up with every new Taurus handgun. The Brazil based company is in the forefront of firearms technology and when it seems that the best some companies can do is introduce yet another variation of some old design under the category of "new," Taurus marches to the tune of its own drummer, developing not only improvements of older designs, but truly new ones specifically for the US market.

Now isnt Taurus known for copying others designs? What about the Springfield XDs that alot of folks rave about arent they Glock knock offs? If im completely wrong I apologize but this is just what it seems like to me but Im kind of a newbie so Im bound to make a few mistakes.

Guest durdensfriend

Well yeah... I don't think I ever implied that these guns were for target practice. All I said was that between the two, the LCP has BETTER sights.

Now isnt Taurus known for copying others designs? What about the Springfield XDs that alot of folks rave about arent they Glock knock offs? If im completely wrong I apologize but this is just what it seems like to me but Im kind of a newbie so Im bound to make a few mistakes.

Well, Taurus was owned by the same holders that owned S&W at one point. The talk on the street was that more technology was flowing from south to north than the other way around. I am one who subscribes to that view. The Croatian arm of Springfield improved (some of think significantly) on the Glock. Not enough...but significantly. :D

If you think the Ruger version of the first gen Kel-Tec P3AT is significant, then you just need to say so and explain why.

Guest eyebedam

This is what I was replying to. You dont like the fact that Ruger supposedly stole Kel Tecs design. I was just stating that other companies do the exact same thing & boast how innovative they are also. Personanly I dont care for Kel Tec it reminds me of a cheap made in china wal mart product. Thats just my personal view. I have not fired a Ruger LCP but I have held 1 & it seemed like it was alot higher quality built gun. Kel Tec may be the best value little shooter out there but they are not for me. Im not knocking a single person who owns 1 either. I just cant understand why Ruger is so wrong in your eyes for taking a design & trying to make it better when there are other companies in the market place doing the exact same thing.

I can appreciate & understand that but doesnt alot of the other manufactures do the same thing. I was just looking at Taurus website and this is how they open it up.

It's not easy to keep up with every new Taurus handgun. The Brazil based company is in the forefront of firearms technology and when it seems that the best some companies can do is introduce yet another variation of some old design under the category of "new," Taurus marches to the tune of its own drummer, developing not only improvements of older designs, but truly new ones specifically for the US market.

Well yes and no on the XD's.They do take a que from Glocks,but its a small one.To me they are completely different guns with completely different feels,and inter workings.

As far as the KT feeling cheap,well I guess people think that because of there light weight,and small size.To me it almost feels like a squirt gun you played with as a kid,but I'm not fooled by that

Glock didn't invent either the polymer handgun nor the striker fired one. XDs and M&Ps are significantly different than a Glock. And I don't recall those manufacturers touting how innovative these guns are.

Ruger appears to have just made tiny changes to someone else's design and are talking like they invented the design and concept.

If you look at my posts, I'm taking a wait and see approach to the LCP. I'm not blasting anyone for buying which ever one they like. Generally the reports are positive on the new gun. I think it was Eddie who did say that the trigger feels like a staple gun. :cheers:

But if it isn't actually better than the P3AT, I'd go with the Kel-Tec on the basis of smaller size. And yes, I think that small size difference is important in a gun that is carried in your back jeans pocket. The Ruger may be slightly more comfortable to shoot, but this is a gun with pretty much one use. It isn't a plinker and it will always be a bit unpleasant to shoot for most folks.

What really bugs me is that Ruger guy talking about how innovative the company is rather than giving credit where it is due.

Guest durdensfriend

I picked up the Ruger today (along with a Glock 26) from Hero Gear so I'll have a range report on Sunday! Please do business with Joe and the guys from Hero Gear... they gave me a really good trade credit for my P99! Seriously, they rock.

Hey guys,

I got my Ruger LPC yesterday...have not had a chance to get it out yet...Rain, Rain, Rain. I did learn to tear in down and put it back together with no problems. The out the door price was $300.78...$264.95 (gun) + $25.83 (taxes) + $10.00 (transfer fee) = $300.78. This was at the Shooter's Sporting Goods in Camden, TN. They sell at 10% over cost to anyone. If it ever quits raining and I can get caught up on my crappie fishing I will give the .380 a try and I will give you a report. BTW, it fits good in the front pocket of my jeans...I think it will be a great carry anywhere gun.

TMc

Guys,

I took the Ruger .380 for a test run this weekend. Our range is not open yet...I went to the gravel pits and popped 30 caps. Slow fire, rapid fire, aimed and from the hip and had no hang-ups or problems of any kind. Very little recoil and quite accurate at 10 yds. I shot 95 gr. FMC's. Very pleased overall. Fits in my jeans front or back pocket and even my shirt pocket. It will be my carry every where gun. At $265.00 I am glad I went with the Ruger LCP instead of the KalTec. I think my wife wants one now.

Later,

TMc

The difference in quality between the LCP and P3AT is very obvious... it's like comparing the Glock to a Steyr M9. The action is the same, but the quality is superior. It's just going to be a matter of which one catches on.

Just to clarify, it was the SR-9 which has the 'stapler-gun' trigger (IHMO).The LCP's trigger is smoother than the Kel-Tec, but not significantly different overall.