Target Cam

mikegideon

LOL.

From what I saw you are doing pretty good. I know I wouldn't be able to do as well, at least not with my current setup.

Dolomite

I wasn't out there that day. I have done ok out there, but not with that kinda wind. My gun will be shooting much better when I get out of ammo hell... later this week.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't out there that day. I have done ok out there, but not with that kinda wind. My gun will be shooting much better when I get out of ammo hell... later this week.

Okey told me about it. Either need to turn the necks or buy some Lapua to fix runout. I don't worry about doing that on my setup.

I also told him about measuring the bearing surface of the bullets. That single thing seemed to knock down my vertical flyers some. Basically take two Hornady bullet comaprators with .221 inserts for 223. You need the closest towhat you are using without going over. Put one on one side of the dial caliper and one on the other. Close them and zero it out. Now take the heads and put them into the two then measure. It gives you the length of the bearing surface of the bullet and some can vary as much as .01 within the same lot and even more between different lots. I have had some measure .375" and another measure .400". May not seem like much but consistency is the key.

The longer the bearing surface the more pressure there is and with more pressure there is more velocity. Having a "long" bullet and a "short" bullet fired one after the other can result in vertical flyers.

Dolomite

Buying Lapua didn't fix the runout by itself. I think it will be fixed this week. I'll get to the bullets, if my velocity is less consistent than it's been. Right now I'm just trying to get them to point down the barrel :)

I'm avoiding neck turning like the plague. That's why I have a bunch of new Winchester brass that's going to turn into skunk ammo.

I like Winchester. Not as good as Lapua but better than most others. I have never checked my runout, I am afraid to. If I do it will be a never ending quest. At this point my rifle is shooting sub .3" CTC at 100 yards. And that is out of the factory barreled Savage using rounds loaded to AR mag length. I did set the headspace on fired then sized brass though so it is a bit tighter than factory. I did load to the rifling and was getting .4" then one day I decided to try the AR ammo when the Savage ammo wasn't cooperating. That is when the groups became noticeably smaller. And those groups are with R-P brass because it was AR ammo. Now I am using R-P brass for now. And I am sure if I checked runout on those I would go crazy and probably screw up how well it is shooting now.

Dolomite

Man this thing works great. Thanks Mike. Tried it to 1000 yards. Had the camera set up about 80 feet in front of the 1000 yard berm. Not sure why the clays look like they are glowing. The berm was in a shaded area and the camera out in the open. I was around 30 feet in front of the camera talking to my buddy in the shack.

We still have a little fine tuning tuning on color and dimensions, for some reason it makes me look old, fat and gray headed.:D

DSC05709.jpg

This is a shot of the screen after it got dark. Had a couple of AA LED flashlights lighting the targets. Not sure who shot the targets on the right.:)

DSC05736.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The berm being shot at is 1000 yards. The first of the video was to show my wife how far 1000 yards was. The round plate is at 400 yards. The first and second berm is at 700 and 880 yards. The last is at 1000.

Okey