1911 guys: How do you get your slide-stop back in ?

I have a S.A. Mil-Spec 1911 that I bought new back in 2004. I have only shot it a little but now I am planning on carrying it. Anyways , I always seem to have a hard time getting my slide-stop pin back in after field-stripping it. The little spring loaded pin that protrudes near it is what gets me. I always seem to have to use a small screwdriver or a toothpick or something to push that little pin back and then I can push the slide-stop back in all the way. Am I doing this wrong ? I see videos of guys slapping it in there with no tools at all . Any help is appreciated .

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends. On my previous 1911's, I just stuck it right in. But on my current Colt, I have to use another object to line it up before I can re-insert the slide stop.

Ok , I just looked it up in my manual , what I am talking about that is getting in the way is the "thumb-safety/slide-stop spring" which is what I have to push inward to get the slide stop in . I have to use another object to push it in but on my other 1911 I used to have , the slide stop just popped right in .

Ok, I'm tracking what is fighting with you after your second post (hey it's early and I am waking up).

I gently insert it with the slide stop below the spring until it rests on the frame and the push it up against the spring which allows it to pop into place.

Only problem is the first time I did it I added my first scratch to my weapon. Haven't scratched it since. So be warned, it works but you may scratch the finish.

place a card or something under the stop to keep it from marring the finish. line it up and just push hard and it will pop in. Some folks file a a small groove/notch into the stop to help with alignment during install.

slidestopinstall.jpg

sigmtnman you hit the nail on the head . I looked this up about making a notch and it seems to fix this tight fit . Thanks ! :)

My slide stop pin seems to be kinda flat in that area and that is why I cant just slide it upwards and inwards at the same time.