Deer Jerky?

Guest WyattEarp

Guest WyattEarp

If any of you deer hunters out there make your own spiced deer jerky, I'd like to buy some from you in Mid-January. I prefer medium on the spiced, not too hot, but a little more kick to it than mild.

I remember trying some a neighbor made, when I lived back in Missouri, and it was pretty good stuff. Wouldn't mind having some more.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love making my own Jerky. It's very tedious work slicing it all up. I don't care too much from jerky made from burger, it just ain't the same for some reason. However, keeping friends and family from "snif'n" it out to save until January would be a most imposible task in this household!

I'm getting ready to cut up a deer this morning, but don't know how much jerky I'll have. I usualy use the hams for it, but will be curing "Country Hams" from them this time.

We'll see what I have.

Dave

Guest WyattEarp
Have you ever tried making it yourself? Its a lot of work but, worth it in my opinion. Do you have a recipe?

considering I don't have a rifle, I supposed I'd have to rig a snare to capture me a bambi in the first place :lol: But no, I have never hunted deer before, and I don't have a freezer to put the meat in, I wouldn't know how to process one either, let alone make deer jerky.

I have a batch in the oven right now, I'm going to be really stingy with it though. Seems like everybody wants to come and eat but nobody ever wants to help me process anything.

hmmm, so money isn't sufficient in lieu of helping you process it, in order to obtain some sir?

I made a little bit of jerky sir. However, I made about 25 pounds of summer sausage and salami. I opted out on the hams. I make some killer summer sausage, but this is the first time I've ever made venison salami....keep your fingers crossed!

My wife makes the jerky in the family and it doesn't last long haha. I used to get her to make 2 batches at a time 1 with a little extra kick in the cayenne dept. That way dad could still have some for a few days cause the kids ate it SO fast. It doesn't work anymore our youngest eating machine likes it hot too now. We usually let the boned out muscles firm up overnight in the fridge then wifie poo slices it thin with an el cheapo bread slicer. Makes it fairly easy. We have a few days off this week together I think we need to do a batch, the one a few weeks ago lasted about 3 days.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Edited by Deerbnb

Well I just sat in a tree stand Saturday and Sunday and came home empty handed. So when I do get one it would be hard for me to just give it away or sell it. And that isn't including the time to process it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Just made a large batch with about 4lbs of venison. Here is the recipe for Black Pepper Jerky (my favorite):

3 cups amber ale or Jager (never tried the Jager)

2 cups soy sauce

1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce

2 tablespoons cracked black peppercorns, plus 2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper for sprinkling before drying the meat

In a large bowl, combine the ale or lager with the soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and the 2 tablespoons of cracked black peppercorns.

This is based on 2lbs of venison so adjust accordingly. Trim and slice either with or against the grain. Cover and refrigerate venison in marinade for 6 to 8 hours.

Dry the meat, preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Set venison on a large wire rack on top of a baking sheet. Bake for about four hours until the jerky is firm and almost completely dry, but still chewy. Let cool completely on the racks before serving.

Guest WyattEarp
Just made a large batch with about 4lbs of venison. Here is the recipe for Black Pepper Jerky (my favorite):

3 cups amber ale or Jager (never tried the Jager)

2 cups soy sauce

1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce

2 tablespoons cracked black peppercorns, plus 2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper for sprinkling before drying the meat

In a large bowl, combine the ale or lager with the soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and the 2 tablespoons of cracked black peppercorns.

This is based on 2lbs of venison so adjust accordingly. Trim and slice either with or against the grain. Cover and refrigerate venison in marinade for 6 to 8 hours.

Dry the meat, preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Set venison on a large wire rack on top of a baking sheet. Bake for about four hours until the jerky is firm and almost completely dry, but still chewy. Let cool completely on the racks before serving.

you're killing me man, just killing me...sitting here reading this, and I got drool dripping down my chin:drool:, foam building up in the corners of my mouth.... that sounds so good!!!!

One of my friends that hunts always gets his processor to slice me some jerky each year. He used to bring me hams, but the pre-sliced is much easier and his processor doesn't charge extra for the jerky slicing.

Tyree, I am going to try your recipe, it sounds great.

Edited by Reg
One of my friends that hunts always gets his processor to slice me some jerky each year. He used to bring me hams, but the pre-sliced is much easier and his processor doesn't charge extra for the jerky slicing.

Tyree, I am going to try your recipe, it sounds great.

It's just about the only recipe I use anymore whether it is beef or venison for jerky. I've tried the plain and teriyaki but it just doesn't beat the peppered. And I think I mistyped on the beer part. Either Ale or Lager, not Jager. :)

My brother in-law processed it for me and even sliced up the jerky. Let's just say he got a nice gift card to Bass Pro for Christmas for his efforts.

you're killing me man, just killing me...sitting here reading this, and I got drool dripping down my chin:drool:, foam building up in the corners of my mouth.... that sounds so good!!!!

haha!! I've got a line at my door from friends and family wanting some. I'm going to have to find another deer before hunting season ends!