need some trade info/advice please

reed1285

Im sorry if this has been covered before but I thought I would post this up to ask for your guys' opinion. To make a long story short, I have a Taurus TCP .380 that I bought brand new and is registered to me. A good friend of mine has a Glock 23 that he said maybe we could work out a trade for because he is really wanting a pocket automatic. The trade would probably involve cash from my end. My concern is, my gun is registered to me because I bought it brand new, but the glock he has is not registered to him, its just a gun he bought off of one of his buddys. He has no official paperwork stating that the previous owner gave up ownership, like a bill of sale or something of that sort. And for all we know, the guy he bought it from was not the original buyer. We have no clue how many times its been bought and sold, traded, etc. Therefore we dont know the original purchaser of the glock. Now I do know, if we do trade I will definately do a bill of sale on my .380 to show I give up ownership of it. But what does he need to do? Does he still need to do a bill of sale on the glock to show he gives up ownership of it, even though he has no prior paperwork on it? Im afraid if I ask him to do too much digging around to find the original buyer or ask the guy he bought it from alot of questions, he will just say forget it on the trade, and I really want the Glock. I just want to make sure that we do it right so that we each have proof of ownership for each gun. A better way to put it I guess is can he transfer ownership of the Glock to me, even though he has no proof of ownership of it? Im assuming he cant. Sorry if this is a dumb question. But Ive never traded firearms before. Bought plenty of them, just never traded.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

There is no gun registry in TN. Your gun is not registered in your name. If you are both residents of TN no proof of purchase or paperwork is needed to transfer ownership. Just meet up and exchange money/ firearms.

Just trade and dont worry about since you know him. If the BATF wanted to though they can find out who the origanal owner was though but its about unheard of for them to persue criminal charges for something happening after a transfer. The only case I ever heard of in TN was the one of the chick in Nashville who bought a handgun to kill her NFL Qtr back boyfriend because he knownly sold to a felon. Just trade and if the BATF ever asked, and they wont, you sold it to ....