What Caliber for Target Shooting / Varmit Hunting????

Guest fatguy7814

Guest fatguy7814

I am looking to get into long distance target shooting (300-500 yrds) and possibly varmit hunting, and I was wondering what round would be the best.

I am not looking for anything custom, i am mainly looking at .204 ruger, .22-250, .223, .308. Those are just a few ideas that i had.

Any input is appreciated, Thanks in advance.

Varmint mean different things to different people. I have also used it to mean: coyotes, groundhogs, prairedogs things that don't have a specific hunting season, like squirrels or rabbits, and are somewhat destructive. Coyotes eat a lot of game animals, pets etc and groundhogs and prairedogs do a lot of tunneling and can tear up your land.

BAck to the original question: I think I would go with the 204 ruger. Hot little cartridge. 4000fps, flat, no recoil - I just think that this would be a great round in an AR.

• Like 1

As an old head at this, you are simply talking about two different rounds.

Varmint rifles are best when not too hot, and not too cold. For example, the 22 Hornet is a great round, and can be shot all day without overheating the barrel, but is out of gas at 150 yards.

The 22/250 is fantastic out to long range, but heats up the barrel quickly.

If you talk to folks who regularly trek out west to shoot prairie dogs (which are VERY destructive to habitat), they generally take a couple of 223 heavy barrel rifles, and oodles of ammo. They are good to 300+ yards, 400+ on a calm day. Many powders and bullets have been made specifically for the 223.

For target shooting at up to 500 yards, the 308 is going to be hard to beat. It is a standard for competition up to 600 yards, and has been for a generation or so. Some of the most accurate bullets and the best powders have been made just for the 308.

You may notice both of these rounds fit your bill of not being exotic. They are also military rounds. They have the overpowering advantage of available components, especially once fired brass, and of being outstanding cartridges that are not picky as to powder and bullet. They are fast enough to do the job, but are not overly hard on barrels.

Realize that successful shooting at 500 yards is a whole new world, and requires precision ammo loaded by someone with obsessive-compulsive disorder! LOL It also requires a solid benchrest technique, which one is NOT born with.

It is hard to play Golf with one club, and for what you specified, I believe these two great rounds will fill the bill.

A matched pair of Remington heavy barreled 700's and good scopes, along with a little trigger work will get you in the winner's circle, and without breaking the bank.

If your budget is tight, Savage makes a dandy heavy barrel rifle with a good trigger.

If you insist on one rifle for both chores, the 243 or 6mm Remington is a little much for most varmints, and very susceptible to wind for long range target shooting. It is also more expensive to shoot than either of the military rounds. New commercial brass is very expensive.

Although many folks malign military brass, it is held to tighter weight variation than commercial brass. The best way to cut your groups in half is to segregate the brass by weight as well as headstamp. I generally prefer military brass for most shooting. I segregate to +- 1/2 gr for the 223, and up to 300 yards, +- 1 grain for the 308. Over 300 but not over 600, +- 1/2 gr. This is where military brass will shine. You will likely have two batches of brass, with very few discards.

Guest Clutch442

I have .223 and 22-250 I like the 250 better for long range target and varmint hunting. 22-250 is really hard to beat given its history and reputation.

Guest gcrookston

I've shot prairie dogs with .223, .308 and .300 winmag, the latter produces a pleasing little puff of pink smoke... For nutria, coyotes and ferrell pigs and ferrell dogs I've only used .223 and .308 and found both calibres quite satisfactory, though I prefer an auto loader for nutria as often multiple targets rapidly present themselves.

• 2 weeks later...