We shot three semi autos this afternoon.....

gregintenn

1) A German Luger, dated 1940, Mauser MFG., 9mm

2) A pristine Smith and Wesson 39-2, 9mm.

3) A Rock Island Armory 1911 A-1 Commander, 45ACP.

IMG_1516.jpg

IMG_1399.jpg

IMG_1408.jpg

My two sons, ages 8 and 13, and myself all shot till our hearts were content. All guns quite accurate. They are quality firearms in good condition. The Rock Island by far being the least expensive. Here's what I learned:

The Luger jammed several times with my youngest son shooting it, but was reliable when my oldest and when i shot it.

The Smith and Wesson jammed every shot with my youngest son, and a couple of times when my oldest son shot. It was reliable for me.

The Rock Island was the only one of the lot that was 100% reliable with all three of us. It was also the most accurate of the lot.

I believe that the Luger and the Smith are sensitive to limp wristing. I further believe that the old adage "You get what you pay for" doesn't always hold true.

We all three had a great time.

I still prefer revolvers.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Love shooting Lugers myself, they need some 124gr fairly hot ball ammo to function well, 115gr range stuff wont do it usually. Plus they are very magazine sensitive, they usually had mags numbered to the pistol for a reason.

But to be honest when my 12 year old shoots my FNP9 it wont lock back and will stovepipe often, he shoots my 9mm PT1922 taurus a lot and I have to put a 2# weaker recoil spring in it to even eject. Especially with PMC 115gr, that stuff is pretty weak. That 39 needs to be shot more, I have a 59 with probably 10,000 rounds through it and anyone can shoot that thing.

Anyhow, never a bad day when you can shoot three decent pistols.

Guest hawkeye10
My father has a model 52. It looks like the 39, but that's where the similarity ends! That gun will shoot!!!!!!!

When I shot bullseye years ago there were several guys that had S&W model 52's and you are right they were very good shooters. I also have a S&W 39-2 with the box. You know how us S&W guys are. Don