Traffic stop tips

I didn't want to hijack the traffic stop procedure thread ........How do you guys handle a traffic stop? I will list my thoughts below. I would love some feedback from the LEO community.

Personally, i activate my hazard lights when a officer hits the blue lights. Then I pull as far off the road has possible. I typically look for a well lit area where i can park facing a wall or pole (to me, this means I'm not going anywhere quick.) I also cut the tires in the direction away from the roadway. I then roll down all my windows due to the tint (legal)......to me...this shows i have nothing to hide. I keep my hands on the wheel until approached by the officer. At that point, i tell him/her that i am armed and offer to produce a HCP. From there, its all up to him.

So far so good. We have some great officers in NE TN. Up to this point, i have found no one to be disrespectful to myself or my wife (also a HCP'er)

As a side note, i typically don't disclose HCP info in a DUI roadblock. I have done nothing to warrant suspension so i don't go out of my way to share additional information.

Please share any suggestions you might have on making it through a standard traffic stop without issue.

Edited by Parrothead
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ArmaDeFuego

Thankfully I dont get pulled over very often. I havent been pulled over since I got my HCP.

When the cop gets behind me & hits the lights I pull over as soon as its safe to do so. If its night I turn on my dome light. I only roll down my window, not all of them. I place both of my hands on the steering wheel. If I do ever get pulled over now that I have my permit (knock on wood) I'll just hand him my HCP along with my driver's license. He can take it from there. It's probably not gonna be his first rodeo so he should be able to tell me what he wants to have happen from that point on.

...Personally, i activate my hazard lights when a officer hits the blue lights. Then I pull as far off the road has possible. I typically look for a well lit area ...

Personally, in all the beau coup traffic stop threads, it just amazes me how often many folks on this forum get the blue lights period. The fact one "typically" has a procedure seems like wow to moi.

- OS

Guest ArmaDeFuego
Personally, in all the beau coup traffic stop threads, it just amazes me how often many folks on this forum get the blue lights period. The fact one "typically" has a procedure seems like wow to moi.

- OS

Yea. I've been pulled over like MAYBE once every 2 years or so since I've had my license. Its generally not that big of a deal & is over fairly quickly.....

Yea. I've been pulled over like MAYBE once every 2 years or so since I've had my license. Its generally not that big of a deal & is over fairly quickly.....

I didn't average every other year all the decades I could have been ticketed or jailed for one thing or the other most ever time I turned on the ignition!

- OS

- OS

I have a procedure for carrying/deploying a handgun. Statistically, i am MUCH more likely to get pulled over for a traffic violation. Why would i not plan for that also?

i've been stopped twice since having a permit. I have not received a ticket or written warning in either case. I got rid of all the "fun" cars and don't worry too much in my truck. (knock on wood)

.. Statistically, i am MUCH more likely to get pulled over for a traffic violation.

More likely than who? 90% of the rest of the driving public? Why?

If your driving habits make you so likely to get pulled over, then I can only assume you are also statistically more likely not to see 25 than other 24 year olds.

- OS

. At that point, i tell him/her that i am armed and offer to produce a HCP. From there, its all up to him.

I am not sure I understand the purpose for this? If it is a routine traffic stop for a violation you committed, why does anyone care you have an HCP? They are going to ask for a license and registration, issue your citation and be on their way. I do not feel the need to bring any uneasiness by telling anyone I am armed, when it has no reason to be known. The officer will know when he runs my DL that i also have an HCP and if he has more questions, I won't mind answering. I do not carry in a fashion where anyone would be able to tell, so there should be no reason for an officer to be startled by seeing something while talking to me.

Now, if it were a situation where I was going to need my car or self searched due to some kind of suspicion, then yes, I would present my HCP and tell them that I am carrying.

Edited by tnsyty
Maybe my delivery is off--

Would you be more likely to get a traffic ticket or find yourself in a self defense situation?

My point is, i think about both and plan for both. Hopefully, neither will occur.

Ah. Okay.

Myself, I don't really need to have a "typical" plan for "when" I get pulled over.

1. pull over, turn on overhead if at night, hands on wheel.

2. hand stuff over he wants. HCP and inform that I'm armed? Why not, seems to get a lot of folks out of tickets.

3. be nice

4. hope for best

This needs a plan? Maybe I better make a flowchart and keep it on dash. :(

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Anyone should have their registration, and proof insurance close to hand. I have my D/L, HCP, proof of insurance and registration in hand long before the officer gets out of the car. Hand them to him/her, and these next two are fairly important: First, after you hand in your id's/papers, have both hands on the steering wheel and don't take them off. Just keep them there. It's a show of respect, and you'll make the officer feel a touch more comfortable if you aren't moving your hands about. Second, and this may be the hardest for some people, Just shut your mouth. Does anyone HONESTLY believe they have something they can tell a cop that he/she doesn't hear 10 times a day.

Take your ticket because you know what, the cop would not have pulled you over if you hadn't been breaking the law. IF you think you are an exception, argue with the judge.

Traffic stops are easy now that I grew up a notch. Don't move around, and shut up. I swear to God, it works. Last time I was pulled over, the State Trooper asked me if I knew why he stopped me. I said I imagine it was because I was frickin' flyin' back there. He just smiled and I was back on my way in less than ten minutes.

* yes I did get a ticket. I was doing 80+ in a 70. If I remember right he wrote me for 83... I can't remember. Funny, I was doing a touch over 90 just before I got to him so I fooled him:) No seriously, I knew it was wrong and I did it anyway. I got home, signed the ticket and a made out a check. End of story.

Edited by Caster
Ah. Okay.

Myself, I don't really need to have a "typical" plan for "when" I get pulled over.

1. pull over, turn on overhead if at night, hands on wheel.

2. hand stuff over he wants. HCP and inform that I'm armed? Why not, seems to get a lot of folks out of tickets.

3. be nice

4. hope for best

This needs a plan? Maybe I better make a flowchart and keep it on dash. :(

- OS

I married a industrial engineer and i plan/oversee projects daily. Processes and procedures are getting normal. She might have a flowchart in here car--let me check in the morning

Edited by Parrothead
I didn't want to hijack the traffic stop procedure thread ........How do you guys handle a traffic stop? I will list my thoughts below. I would love some feedback from the LEO community.

Personally, i activate my hazard lights when a officer hits the blue lights. Then I pull as far off the road has possible. I typically look for a well lit area where i can park facing a wall or pole (to me, this means I'm not going anywhere quick.) I also cut the tires in the direction away from the roadway. I then roll down all my windows due to the tint (legal)......to me...this shows i have nothing to hide. I keep my hands on the wheel until approached by the officer. At that point, i tell him/her that i am armed and offer to produce a HCP. From there, its all up to him.

So far so good. We have some great officers in NE TN. Up to this point, i have found no one to be disrespectful to myself or my wife (also a HCP'er)

As a side note, i typically don't disclose HCP info in a DUI roadblock. I have done nothing to warrant suspension so i don't go out of my way to share additional information.

Please share any suggestions you might have on making it through a standard traffic stop without issue.

I honestly don't know how to respond to this.

Okay, I had to think about it and now I've got my response.

After reading all of your responses in your traffic stops, I must say that I am amazed at the number of good traffic stops you guys have with police.

I offer nothing except what's being asked and just want my ticket so I can go about my day.

That being said, I don't like cops so I stopped speeding a long time ago for the specific purpose that I want nothing to do with them. I figured, the easiest way to get them to leave me alone is to never break the law. So I don't and I'm perfectly okay with this.

Edited by wcsc12
Guest WingMan380

In 23 years of driving I have been pulled over once. If ya drive the speed limit, or close to it, then ya don't have to worry about having a plan for getting pulled over. I aint sayin I'm a perfect driver, I consider myself just to be lucky.

Guest cardcutter

My Fathers best friend was a LEO in B,ham. He gave each of us kids a lesson on how to handle a traffic stop when we got our license.

1. Pull over quickly.Be safe and find a spot well off the road and if at night well lighted.turn on the dome light if at night.

2.Turn the car off and put the keys on the dashboard in plain sight.

3.roll down the driver side window. if raining roll it down partiallyaly.

4. put your hands on top of the wheel. make sure he can see them.

5. Do not go reaching /moving around in the car. If he wants something he will ask for it.

6.If you are asked to provide your documents tell him where they are. when you open the glove box let it fall open and let him see it before you reach into it. You do not want him to think you are reaching for a weapon. if at night ask him if he wanta to shines a light in it first.

7. Above all be polite. the second he threw the lights on you you are busted.Man up.you are not going to whine,weasel , or talk your way out of it.

He explained that the two most dangerous things an officer ever does are a routine traffic stop and a domestic violence call. More cops are killed during those two than any other calls. so make him feel safe. do not give him cause for alarm. whatever you do do not get out of your car unless told too.

I have been stopped maybe three or four times in thirty years of driving. This has always worked well for me.

Edited by cardcutter