TGO Adopt A Highway program

As y'all know, a while back the members of TGO adopted the east bound lanes of Vietnam Vetertan's Blvd/ Hwy 386 in Sumner County, from mile marker 4 to mile marker 6. We hosted the first cleanup, and Joe at Hero Gear generously donated 10 reflective safety vests. We had a good turnout, great volunteers, and made quite an impact on that stretch of roadway.

Unfortunately, we have not done much with it since then and that's my fault. The section of roadway has been kept clean, but we have not had any more orchestrated group clean up days. I've been hopeful that my schedule would free up to the point that I could put something together, but the exact opposite has happened. Between work, and a couple of other things I have going on, I'm working some long hours and still building a waiting list. It's a good problem to have, but it doesn't look like I can expect things to clear up for a while. As a result, I simply can't commit the time to the Adopt A Highway program. If we continue the program and have another organized clean up I would be glad to come help, but with things being like they are right now I have no way of knowing what my schedule will be with hardly any notice.

With that said, I would love it if someone here was in a position to take over the program. I can get you the reflective vests that Hero Gear donated, and go over the basics of how it works. There is not a large time investment required, simply schedule the cleanup day, then go by the TDOT office before and pick up the supplies/ turn in the volunteer waivers. After the cleanup day, go back to the TDOT office to turn in the signs and let them know where the bags of litter were left. I travel for work, and lately have been spending a lot of time out of town, so it's difficult for me to go by the TDOT office and pick up/ turn in things.

If no one is able to take the lead, then I will contact TDOT and withdraw from the program, in addition to contacting Hero Gear and returning the vests. I really hate that I've been unable to do more with this, but I've simply had to prioritize things and unfortunately this has not received the attention it needed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to give this thread one bump so that interested folks may have the opportunity to see it.

If someone here is interested in handling the program, please contact me by Thursday, January 12th. Otherwise, I intend to contact TDOT and Hero Gear on Friday to withdraw from the program and find out what to do with the reflective vests.

Thanks!

• Administrator

I'll up the ante a bit...

If a person will step up and take over the task of organizing this, I will make sure that they get full "Benefactor" honors for the duration of their involvement. I know it's not much but it's the least I can do.

56FordGuy Still showing full I will give it a few and try again.

@ uncleJak if there is anything admin wise and so forth I can do from affar I am more than happy to help? I don't know if I can make it to the functional aspect of it though.

I want to help, but this seems a bit overwhelming....

Someone talk me into this...

This is a fairly simple undertaking. When you want to organize a cleanup, simply post here and organize it. Select whatever date you'd like, then have all the volunteers print, sign, and return to you the liability forms available on the TDOT website. Go by the TDOT office before your clean up date and turn in the volunteer forms. They will give you trash bags, "Litter pickup ahead" signs, and if necessary reflective vests. Then have the clean up day. Fill the provided bags, and pile them in one central location. The first business day after the clean up (If you do it on a weekend, the following Monday), call or go back by the TDOT office. Tell them where the trash bags were left, and return the items that they provided, the signs, any unused trash bags, and the reflective vests if you need them. I told the lady that we already had ours, and that was fine.

56FordGuy Still showing full I will give it a few and try again.

I just deleted a bunch more, we should be good now.