job offer in east Tn

Guest bhiers

Guest bhiers

I got a job offer in east Tn. job is in Lowland, Hamblen county. I live in Murfreesboro now. I know there are quite a few people on here from east Tn. just wondering what its like there, cost of living,schools,best areas to live.

Edited by bhiers
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just outside Morristown in Talbott. I've lived in Nashville (Briley Parkway near Opryland) and just outside Murfreesboro (Statesville.) I would consider Morristown and M'boro to be similar, although Morristown is probably smaller. The areas just outside Morristown are nice if you like the 'burbs and lake areas. The mountains are within view from just about everywhere, and the park is 30-45 mins away.

Schools: Morristown West (High School) and West View Middle School are the best in the area, if that's a concern, you'd want to research the districts that go there. (East High is the school that most, if not all of the projects go to.)

Cost of living is probably lower, if I recall my time in middle TN accurately. Though not dramatically. You don't have to have your vehicles inspected!

Personally, I'm not a big fan of M'boro or Morristown, but the areas immediately surrounding Morristown are very nice.

I used to work in Rogersville, a few miles up the road. I really liked the area. I suspect housing costs will be lower. Morristown is a bit smaller and generally older than M'boro. There's not as much stuff, but everything typically needed is available. Seems a number of folks live around Jefferson City, simply to be closer to Knoxville. There are some very "country" areas around. My best advice is to spend a tank of gas driving around and checking things out. I don't know much about the schools.

Oh, and congrats on the job offer!

I spent the first 20 something years of life in the Nashville and Cookeville areas. Then I moved to East Tennessee. I really like it out here better. It's a whole lot cheaper too. Plus there are tons more recreational opportunities.

Take a weekend and come up. My wife is from Morristown. I find it rather lacking in things to do but you are close to Knoxville and Johnson City. If you come up, ask people what they think. Everyone is nice up that way and will probably start talking to you. My mother in law is a teacher up there and really likes it...different strokes.

Morristown has everything you need and you are only an hour to Knoxville or the Smokie Mountains. There are some good deals on housing including some homes on or close to Cherokee Lake. Schools are the best of all the other counties around. I think you will get a lot better bang for your buck in this area. Welcome if you decide to move here.

Ive lived in Sevier my whole live (albeit a short one) and love it here. I ride motorcycles though, and in the summer I jsut point in one direction and go. I usually try to stay outa pigeon forge and gatlinburg in the summers. I am going to school at ETSU in Johnson city, and absolutely love JC, and Jonesboro as well. Are you going to be getting extra $$$ for moving out here and uprooting your family? I think the best thing to do, is sit down with them and talk with them, and like someone said come up here a weekend and visit :)

Guest airborne1525

I live in Dandridge. Drive to Oak Ridge for work. Dont mind the drive but I sure try to stay out of Knoxville as much as possible. We have started going to Johnson City when we want to go out or shop, eat, etc. I grew up in Alaska so this is a big change for me but I enjoy it most of the time.