4 GOP contenders off the Virginia Ballot

Guest HvyMtl

Four GOP candidates fail to make Virginia primary ballot, judge rules - CNN.comOk, these 4, Perry, Newt, Santorum, and Huntsman are NOT on the Virginia Ballot in the GOP Primary. They are suing to get on the Ballot. Point is, Virginia has a state law which limits access to the ballot by requiring a petition, signed by at least 400 citizens per county, and at least 10,000 valid signatures. Huntsman and Santorum DID NOT PETITION. What does this say about their own thoughts of electability? Perry's and Newt's petitions were deemed invalid by the GOP in Virginia. Apparently, they either did not get the 10,000 valid signatures, or they missed the 400 per county requirement. All 4 candidates knew of the requirement a long time ago, and either did not attempt the petition, did not abide by the requirements, or the local GOP somehow did not abide by the rules. From what I can tell, its on the Candidates, not the Virginia GOP. IF they cannot win their lawsuit, the race becomes a TWO MAN RACE, between Ron Paul, and Mitt Romney... Edited by Fallguy
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying to find if the rules have changed in VA, seems odd that this could happen but both Paul and Rom have been basically running for president since 2008 have they not? Did their earlier petition carry over?

The four candidates complained that they had to hire vendors, at $50,000 to $100,000 to collect signatures and get on the ballot in Virginia because the task is so daunting.

“Virginia has the most stringent ballot access requirements in the nation,” argued Nixon, a lawyer for Perry. The next closest state, Indiana, requires just 4,500 signatures and does not require people who circulate ballot petitions to live in the state.

“Virginia, and Virginia alone, has a filing fee in excess of $50,000,” argued Nixon, referring to the cost of hiring a company to collect signatures.

Sounds like they want to single some candidates out and leave it to whoever has the most money wins? Sounds like you have to buy this election in VA?

Also sounds like Liberty and Freedom is being squashed and RP supporters should be outraged over this. :stick:

It will be interesting to see what size of turn out they have but I don't think it becomes a two person race after it. 9 states also vote on the same day as VA, March 6, 10 states vote before they do, it's still wide open.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2012/jan/13/2/us-judge-hears-va-primary-ballot-case-today-ar-1608964/

Guest FroggyOne2

I believe they changed the rules mid stream.. to insure that the number on the ballot would be reduced.. The media darling Mitt.. aka the glove

The bigger problem was that it was not only VA. There were several other states in which some of the candidates failed to get on the ballot. My question to the candidates would be, how do you expect us to take you seriously as a presidential candidate when you can't even get organized enough to make sure you are on the ballot in all of the states?

Perry Suing to Get on Virginia Ballot - Fox News

The States have the authority to determine their own primary procedures. Now a Republican candidate is going to the Federal government to force a state to allow him to bypass the state procedures. What the happened to the small government and "by the Constitution" stands of the Republican party? Are we going to do away with states and have a "Department of (blank state) buraucracy in D.C. now? This destroys the credibility of the party and of the "Tea Party Constitutionalists" for this election. "I believe in the Constitution only if it gets me what I want" mentality prevails. This is just some of the BS that forced my decision to leave the party after 40+ years and make me a libertarian (note small case "l".)

I was thinking. If RonPaul makes it to VA and he'd be stupid not to, I hope he wins.

All of the Paulbots need to be reprograming and focus all their attention on winning the VA primary.:shrug:

Sad fact is the overall electorate of this country is a helluva lot closer to Obama than Paul.

If GOP somehow circumvented all their rules and handed nomination of RP, he wouldn't carry a handful of states in the general election, if that. Even the nationwide ABO sentiment isn't that strong.

Of course, the GOP is gonna nominate a man who lost to the man who lost to Obama in '08. So it has got that going for it.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Sad fact is the overall electorate of this country is a helluva lot closer to Obama than Paul.

If GOP somehow circumvented all their rules and handed nomination of RP, he wouldn't carry a handful of states in the general election, if that. Even the nationwide ABO sentiment isn't that strong.

Of course, the GOP is gonna nominate a man who lost to the man who lost to Obama in '08. So it has got that going for it.

- OS

I agree, I'm saying for RP to just win VA, I know he'll never be the nominee, I just want to keep it stirred up.